Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by HazenPingree View Post
    When I closed on my home in January, I called a number of agencies. The best rate I could find was with the Benavides Allstate Agency in Southwest Detroit. They beat out State Farm, AAA, and all of the independent agencies I called.
    HP, I think that everyone will get a different anwer based upon what they are comfortable with, how many quotes they get, and thier financial and claim histories. Thanks for your info and sharing your experience. It does help to post this sort of stuff, and who has given the best rates. If more insurance agencies knew that more people were comparing things they would sharpen thier pencils more.

This thread is three years old, so I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

I'm currently buying a house in Midtown and working on finding insurance. I have renters and auto through Progressive right now, and I'm happy with them, but they didn't seem keen on insuring a house in Detroit when I used the online tool. Shame, too, because I've got a great auto rate.

I've reached out to two agents here in the city - Ago Benavides and James Clark - but am happy to take any suggestions.

What company are you with? Any recommendations for an agent? Any and all info would be helpful.

Your best bet is to get quotes from as many places as you hear from. Get at least three and compare the costs and what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Your best bet is to get quotes from as many places as you hear from. Get at least three and compare the costs and what you get.
    Honestly, my husband says I put too much info out there. We live in Detroit, our coverage seems to go up and down, Had coverage for $700,000 for $97 a month, It got doubled, Dropped coverage to half a mil.. Price doubled again but we have amazing coverage. for even our current price. No clue why we have such great coverage for the price. My sister in a"better" neighborhood pays 110 for 80k per month.

Shop around.

AAA has been very affordable, for both auto and homeowners in the city.

Then again, I pay all my bills, on time, don't have credit card debt, and don't go around crashing cars and burning down houses. Go figure.

Ultimately my USAA offered me cheaper auto, but not homeowners.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post

Then again, I pay all my bills, on time, don't have credit card debt, and don't go around crashing cars and burning down houses. Go figure.

That's kind of cute. My husband and I have been debt free since 1980. We get penalized [[insurance)for having a zero credit rating. I am proud of that. We bought a bed from Gardner White last year and they were freeked, we did not do their payment plan, what a way to screw customers with interest rates

Bought a computer at staples last year... cash.

We bought the extended warrant policy, don't bother with that folks, it is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post

Sounds very similar to my story, but like you I have a high credit score.

Default Who do you use for homeowners insurance in Morningside?

The homeowners insurance quotes I am getting are terrifying! It is a modest house. Every single quote I have received has been 4,000 and up. I am in total shock and I don't know what to do at this point. I have contacted Farmer's, Ameriprse, Liberty Mutal, Amica, State Farm, and some others. No one can seem to give me a good reason for why it is so high compared to others in the city. Does anyone here live in Morningside? If so, who do you get your insurance through? I have to purchase insurance before close and at this point I don't know if I will be able to!

Try Glock, Smith & Wesson, or Detroit's most popular, Mr. Big Dog. Good luck, and welcome to Detroit!

Quote Originally Posted by floating.magenta View Post
    The homeowners insurance quotes I am getting are terrifying! It is a modest house. Every single quote I have received has been 4,000 and up. I am in total shock and I don't know what to do at this point. I have contacted Farmer's, Ameriprse, Liberty Mutal, Amica, State Farm, and some others. No one can seem to give me a good reason for why it is so high compared to others in the city. Does anyone here live in Morningside? If so, who do you get your insurance through? I have to purchase insurance before close and at this point I don't know if I will be able to!
    I don't have any Morningside-specific advice, but since you have already tried a lot of the major insurers, you might try contacting an independent agent. They would be very likely to know what is available.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Try Glock, Smith & Wesson, or Detroit's most popular, Mr. Big Dog. Good luck, and welcome to Detroit!
    I wish that was the only type of insurance that I needed . Unfortunately, I am required to purchase homeowners insurance as a condition of my loan.

I don't have any Morningside-specific advice, but since you have already tried a lot of the major insurers, you might try contacting an independent agent. They would be very likely to know what is available.
    I will definitely try that. I just don't understand why the quotes are so high in the first place - I have decent credit. Unfortunately, everyone is closed today because it is 4th of July... and holidays happen to be the only time that I am able to call around to these places.

Can anyone tell me what your rebuild costs are for similar houses in either East English village or Morningside? I am being quoted rebuild costs over 300k for a comparably modest house - it is much smaller than many in those neighborhoods.

I got an online quote for some very similar homes [[in worse condition) on the same street or adjacent streets and the rebuild costs and quotes came out to be much lower! Doesnt make any sense! It has something to do with this particular house. I am totally confused.

I wish that was the only type of insurance that I needed . Unfortunately, I am required to purchase homeowners insurance as a condition of my loan.
    Have you checked with some of the larger outfits? We're on the E.side, and State Farm was surprisingly reasonable, considering of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Have you checked with some of the larger outfits? We're on the E.side, and State Farm was surprisingly reasonable, considering of course.
    I am waiting for a call back from State Farm. I spoke briefly with someone yesterday that gave me a very high quote and then referred me to someone else. I probably won't hear back until Monday. Since you are on the East side, I'd like to know what quotes you received from some of these "cheaper" insurance agencies. Care to share?

I am waiting for a call back from State Farm. I spoke briefly with someone yesterday that gave me a very high quote and then referred me to someone else. I probably won't hear back until Monday. Since you are on the East side, I'd like to know what quotes you received from some of these "cheaper" insurance agencies. Care to share?
    Worst case scenario call Michigan Basic directly: 313 877 7400. They'll insure you unless your house is totally falling apart.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Worst case scenario call Michigan Basic directly: 313 877 7400. They'll insure you unless your house is totally falling apart.
    Cool. Thanks. House is in great condition!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2