Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote: "The fact that Obama was teaching law courses and working for a small law firm after Harvard when he could have been a partner at some top tier law firm making millions says alot about the kind of person he is."

In most fields that is regarded as "stupidity". Maybe he didn't get any offers to top tier law firms? Judging by his stammering when speaking and lack of wit on his feet, I doubt he was a hot commodity.

I'm not making the correlation here, him working for a "small law firm" somehow substantiates his credibility and moral character?

that as much as he personally would like a single payer plan , that represents extreme change that our country wouldn't accept. The country couldn't even accept a government run plan as part of the exchange
    The majority of the public did want this. The bought and paid for by the insurance industry politicians didn't want to pass it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Quote: "The fact that Obama was teaching law courses and working for a small law firm after Harvard when he could have been a partner at some top tier law firm making millions says alot about the kind of person he is."

In most fields that is regarded as "stupidity". Maybe he didn't get any offers to top tier law firms? Judging by his stammering when speaking and lack of wit on his feet, I doubt he was a hot commodity.

I'm not making the correlation here, him working for a "small law firm" somehow substantiates his credibility and moral character?
    Not everyone can be bought and sold for cash like you apparently can. Some things are more important in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    The majority of the public did want this. The bought and paid for by the insurance industry politicians didn't want to pass it.
    Wrong. According to a CNN poll taken the weekend that Mugabecare was passed, Americans opposed it 59-39. http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/im...3/22/rel5a.pdf
    Bush's Wall Street bailout, which Senator Obama enthusiastically supported, had even less public support.

firstandten: "He made most of his wealth from his two books and he also got millions of dollars in campaign contributions from small donors.

The fact that Obama was teaching law courses and working for a small law firm after Harvard when he could have been a partner at some top tier law firm making millions says alot about the kind of person he is."
    Don't forget that he came from a gilded background. His grandparents who raised him were moderately wealthy. Grandma was a bank VP. I calculated that his tuition at private school, Occidental College, Columbia, and Harvard would cost $300,000 at today's prices not including room and board. His employment choice says that he was a radical at the time who had enough financial backing that he didn't have to pay back student loans. His buddy, William Ayers, is the son of the CEO of a major company who took the same route. President Obama has just trashed NASA's exploration program while expanding it's diversity outreach program. He has, or is, reducing the amount of student loans that have to be paid back if the recipient chooses to go into public 'service'. There is a consistency here. Even his mother was able to play the role of hippy saviour because her parents could financially assume her responsibilities. Trouble is; most of us have to earn money for a living and we can't count on rich parents or a government parental substitute to pave our way.

You forgot to mention the great job Michelle got at a hospital when the Illinois lawmaker was elected as a US Senator. The same thing happened to Hillary when Bill was elected as Governor. Probably just coincidence. The Obamas also got a good deal on their Chicago home after he became a Senator. I guess the political class playing the corporatist card have a lot of good luck.

You understand, don't you, that 'corporatism' is a synonym for 'economic facism'?

Retroit Guest

JOHN CONYERS: "I love these members that get up and say, 'Read the bill.' What good is reading the bill if it's a thousand pages and you don't have two days and two lawyers to find out what it means after you read the bill?"

http://www.wikio.com/video/1461153

Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post

Actually many firms wanted him. The firm that employed Michelle wanted him which was a top tier Chicago law firm. Thats how he met Michelle. When he sat down with the senior partner of the firm and said he wasn't going to work for them the man was upset. Obama said wait something else I've got to tell you. I'm not only going to not work for you, but I'm taking Michelle with me.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    Wrong. According to a CNN poll taken the weekend that Mugabecare was passed, Americans opposed it 59-39.
    cut the brain-dead racist bullshit out, ola. Enough.

now, on to the numbers. in polls that asked about virtually every provision of the bill, the numbers were more than reversed. [[>60% for vs <40% against). all that tells us is that Americans are extremely susceptible to the right-wing fear and smear campaign, and don't have the intellectual rigor to check things out for themselves

Don't forget that he came from a gilded background. His grandparents who raised him were moderately wealthy. Grandma was a bank VP. I calculated that his tuition at private school, Occidental College, Columbia, and Harvard would cost $300,000 at today's prices not including room and board. His employment choice says that he was a radical at the time who had enough financial backing that he didn't have to pay back student loans. His buddy, William Ayers, is the son of the CEO of a major company who took the same route. President Obama has just trashed NASA's exploration program while expanding it's diversity outreach program. He has, or is, reducing the amount of student loans that have to be paid back if the recipient chooses to go into public 'service'. There is a consistency here. Even his mother was able to play the role of hippy saviour because her parents could financially assume her responsibilities. Trouble is; most of us have to earn money for a living and we can't count on rich parents or a government parental substitute to pave our way.

You forgot to mention the great job Michelle got at a hospital when the Illinois lawmaker was elected as a US Senator. The same thing happened to Hillary when Bill was elected as Governor. Probably just coincidence. The Obamas also got a good deal on their Chicago home after he became a Senator. I guess the political class playing the corporatist card have a lot of good luck
    Grandma was a bank VP that didn't make as much money as you might think and Grandpa was a struggling saleman. Obama piled up much student loan debt according to what has been written. One of the early strains in his marriage to Michelle was his student loan debt. Fortunately the books took care of that and then some. Not to say that Obama being in elected office had nothing to do with it
    but Michelle's connection with the Dailey machine thru Valarie Jarrett probably had as much to do with it as anything with her getting the hospital job.

Obama did get a good deal on his house but I don't see it as anything more than what any other senator might get.

You understand, don't you, that 'corporatism' is a synonym for 'economic facism'?
    Oh yes, I do thats why I mentioned FDR because when people throw that word out somebody like Mussolini comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    cut the brain-dead racist bullshit out, ola. Enough.

now, on to the numbers. in polls that asked about virtually every provision of the bill, the numbers were more than reversed. [[>60% for vs <40% against). all that tells us is that Americans are extremely susceptible to the right-wing fear and smear campaign, and don't have the intellectual rigor to check things out for themselves
    The 'brain-dead racist bullshit' can be found at http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/im...3/22/rel5a.pdf
    Wow, now even CNN polls are racist according to rb. If the American people don't believe the same thing as rb, it's because they must not be as smart because they don't get all their news from the Daily Kos.

Here is the 'brain-dead racist bullshit' question as posed by CNN Opinion Research:
    20. As you may know, the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate are trying to pass final legislation that would make major changes in the country’s health care system. Based on what you have read or heard about that legislation, do you generally favor it or generally oppose it?
    Favor 39%
    Oppose 59%
    No opinion 2%

based on "Interviews with 1,030 adult Americans, including 953 registered
    voters, conducted by telephone by Opinion Research Corporation
    on March 19-21, 2010.

firstand ten, Sorry to burst your bubble. Ok, so little Barack grew up in Hawaii's only log cabin and had to go to private school and Harvard barefoot. Reagan got an even better deal on his ranch. I wasn't saying that graft is exclusive to Obama. Too bad that people graduating from med school can't all write and sell books.

According to a CNN poll taken the weekend that Mugabecare was passed, Americans opposed it 59-39
    Can't anybody read? Firstandten was saying the public did not support single payer or the public option. Polls show they do. That is what I was referring to, not the bill as passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Pam, I believe you are correct. I should have made more of a distinction between what the public wanted and having the votes in Congress to pass it. Besides the GOP would have turned stuff around so badly the people would have been like that Grandma who told Obama take his hands off my Medicare.

Default They've Passed the Bill and ........

.....confusion reigns as to what's really in it!

To quote the Vice President, "This is a Big F*#cking Deal".
    Gap in health care law's protection for children
    By RICARDO ALONSO-ZALDIVAR [[AP) – 9 hours ago

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration is scrambling to fix a potential problem with a much-touted benefit of its new health care law, a gap in coverage improvements for children in poor health, officials said Tuesday.

Under the new law, insurance companies still would be able to refuse new coverage to children because of a pre-existing medical problem, said Karen Lightfoot, spokeswoman for the House Energy and Commerce Committee, one of the main congressional panels that wrote the bill President Barack Obama signed into law Tuesday.

However, if a child is accepted for coverage, or is already covered, the insurer cannot exclude payment for treating a particular illness, as sometimes happens now. For example, if a child has asthma, the insurance company cannot write a policy that excludes that condition from coverage. The new safeguard will be in place later this year.

In recent speeches, Obama has given the impression that the immediate benefit for kids is much more robust.

Full protection for children would not come until 2014, said Kate Cyrul, a spokeswoman for the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, another panel that authored the legislation. That's the same year when insurance companies could no longer deny coverage to any person on account of health problems.

Obama's public statements conveyed the impression that the new protections for kids were sweeping and straightforward.

"This is a patient's bill of rights on steroids," the president said Friday at George Mason University in Virginia. "Starting this year, thousands of uninsured Americans with pre-existing conditions will be able to purchase health insurance, some for the very first time. Starting this year, insurance companies will be banned forever from denying coverage to children with pre-existing conditions."

And Saturday, addressing House Democrats as they approached a make-or-break vote on the bill, Obama said: "This year ... parents who are worried about getting coverage for their children with pre-existing conditions now are assured that insurance companies have to give them coverage — this year."

Late Tuesday, the administration said Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius would try to resolve the situation by issuing new regulations......... [source]
    Oversell and under-deliver. Fix the flaws wth layers of new "regulations" issued by unelected bureaucrats. It appears that the Senate staffers are the only ones who really know the provisions in this law. Why is that? Because this legislation was largely written by them [[as usual) and not read or fully understood by our elected representatives [[as usual) prior to their vote.

Another "quirk" that is only now coming to light is that these same Congressional committee staffers [[as well as Congressional leadership office staff) have been exempted from enrollment mandates by a loophole in the bill's provisions. Gee, I wonder how that happened? The finger-pointing has already begun!
    Leadership Aides Exempt From Bill?

House GOP aides and the non-partisan Congressional Research Service believe health care legislation passed this week requires lawmakers to enroll in government-run insurance programs -- while exempting leadership staffers, many of whom were instrumental in crafting the bill. [read the rest]

And !!!

This bill while it covers much , its still a work in progress. There are going to be some holes, the point is something needed to be put in place the fixes will be made over time.

the fixes will be made over time.
    By who?

Remember, "This is a Big F*#cking Deal"

Quote: ""This year ... parents who are worried about getting coverage for their children with pre-existing conditions now are assured that insurance companies have to give them coverage — this year."

Paying someone enough to do something is not forcing them. The insurance companies are laughingly saying, "Sure we'll comply".. Cha-ching

The reality is, the customer is the one being forced, or else.

It amazes me that our Republic is still intact. How many more Trillions can be sucked out of our great nation by Corporations and Special interests? This is a big F*&*&ing deal is right. The biggest scam ever pulled off by private business against a government.
    Last edited by Sstashmoo; March-24-10 at 09:04 AM.

the fixes will be made over time
    When? 45,000 lives are being lost every year!!!! You obviously don't care about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    When? 45,000 lives are being lost every year!!!! You obviously don't care about them.

You must have just got finished reading the GOP playbook on projection politics

The 'brain-dead racist bullshit' can be found at http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/im...3/22/rel5a.pdf
    odd, i didn't see "mugabecare" mentioned once in that poll.

also, according to your link, people trust Obama [[51%) and Democrats [[45%) over rethugnicans [[39%) on Health care.

From Kevin Collins @ Pollster.com:
    The Ipsos/McClatchy poll...shows growing opposition [[to) "the healthcare reform proposals presently being discussed," immediately before demonstrating that a majority of respondents support a public option.
    and
    surveys from multiple firms show both growing opposition to the health care legislation before Congress, but shows consistent and stable support for the specific provisions within that bill, including those which have been the subject of the greatest internal debate and external contention

You must have just got finished reading the GOP playbook on projection politics
    Listen to Congressman John Dingell callously explain away the fact that Obamacare [[a.k.a. the "Big F*#cking Deal") allows many more uninsured to die while the administrative clock ticks away until 2014 when the full legislated coverage kicks in:
    Let me remind you this has been going on for years. We are bringing it to a halt. The harsh fact of the matter is when you’re going to pass legislation that will cover 300 American people in different ways it takes a long time to do the necessary administrative steps that have to be taken to put the legislation together to control the people.
    I think the doddering old fool meant to say 300 MILLION Americans, but I particularly cringe at his "control the people" comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Listen to Congressman John Dingell callously explain away the fact that Obamacare [[a.k.a. the "Big F*#cking Deal") allows many more uninsured to die while the administrative clock ticks away until 2014 when the full legislated coverage kicks in.
    Yes, it's far better to follow the GOP plan and allow the uninsured to die into the indefinite future.

Are you going to make any kind of substantive argument about the legislation, or are you just going to bitch and whine in platitudes?

Retroit Guest

Looks like Obama broke another campaign promise:

Sunlight Before Signing: Too often bills are rushed through Congress and to the president before the public has the opportunity to review them. As president, Obama will not sign any non-emergency bill without giving the American public an opportunity to review and comment on the White House website for five days.
    [[source: http://www.barackobama.com/issues/et...x_campaign.php)

FDR had the New Deal
    Obama has the Big Fucking Deal

Retroit, this bill -- which is the one the senate passed LONG ago, has been up and available for a long time.

nice try, though
    Last edited by rb336; March-24-10 at 03:22 PM. Reason: fingerlexia

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Looks like Obama broke another campaign promise:

[[source: http://www.barackobama.com/issues/et...x_campaign.php)

FDR had the New Deal
    Obama has the Big Fucking Deal
    And Cheney just had Go F__k yourself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2