Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I suppose my high water rates are working to cover the cost of Deep Tunnel, one of the largest single infrastructure projects ever in US history just so not one drop of untreated sewage makes it to the great lakes.

"Two American scientists ... Tony Newman and Doug Phillips now tumble helplessly toward a new fantastic adventure, somewhere along the infinite corridors of time in the Time Tunnel."

Heck, just flush all that waste into the future.

Need water? Don't move to the middle of the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    There was talk about diversion from the Great Lakes to Georgia by Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin. That was one of the dynamics of a proposed "National Water Policy" by AZ Gov. Bill Richardson.

Scary stuff.
    So which one was it...Shirley or Bill?? There has NEVER been any discussion on diverting water from the Great Lakes to Georgia because the idea is absolutely ABSURD!! IF you had incorrectly said the Governor of Ga that may have been a bit more believable.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    So which one was it...Shirley or Bill?? There has NEVER been any discussion on diverting water from the Great Lakes to Georgia because the idea is absolutely ABSURD!! IF you had incorrectly said the Governor of Ga that may have been a bit more believable.
    I'll repeat, Mayor of Atlanta Shirley so and so said.....

Bill is the one who brought up the national water policy.

If you don't believe me, look it up on the link I listed.

There was talk about diversion from the Great Lakes to Georgia by Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin. That was one of the dynamics of a proposed "National Water Policy" by AZ Gov. Bill Richardson.

Also, I was reading an article from citymayors .com that said:

"Congressional leader Dick Armey of Texas warned in 2000, thirsty and growing states will surely come after Great Lakes water, "We're not going to be buying it. We're going to be stealing it."

Scary stuff.
    OK, I dug through the website as you did not include any specific link to articles but simply the webpage. However, I did find the paragraph below for your reading pleasure.

"Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin created a furor in 2007 by suggesting that more water should be diverted from neighboring states to replenish Atlanta’s drinking water supply. The explosive growth of Atlanta is draining rivers in Georgia, Alabama, and Florida. Federal officials were called in to mediate a “truce” between the bickering governors of those states over water rights.'

And my earlier comment:

"Time for a bit of a correction here. The "drought" in Georgia has been over for well past a year now. Lakes Allatoona [[841.0') and Lanier [[1,071.0') have been at full capacity since that time. During the drought, diversion was discussed only as it applies to three states, FL, AL, Ga, stating they had sole rights to water from these two GA based reservoirs. The MAJOR problem here is the Army Corp of Engineers having absolutely no clue as to how to operate the two dams to provide for appropriate water flow downstream while maintaining proper lake levels for the water supply of the Metro Atlanta area. "

I would tend to see that "neighboring states" do not include Michigan.

Yeah, Ok. That article sais neighboring states, but:

chguernsey.com sais:
    "Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin told media last fall it would probably be a good idea for the city to start looking at laying pipelines beyond its basin borders to tap distant water sources."

The Great Lakes basin isn't THAT distant from GA, so SOMEONE in Atlanta is talking about it, and if I felt like digging around through Congressional newsources, I guarantee I'd find some Senator or Congressman running his mouth about how it's not his region's fault that they are gaining population while our region is losing it, and the water needs to be shared. But I don't feel like digging around because this back and forth banter about Georgia is NOT the point.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; April-23-10 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
    That is a pretty idiotic and selfish idea.

You do realize that there are 5 other states and another country that have a say in what happens to the Great Lakes?

Detroit is not king of the Great Lakes.

There are also water botteling plants in the state that do use water from the local aquifers.
    Agreed. You can't, as much as you may feel you have the right to, claim a lake/ocean/river for yourself if it is not in your borders.

Yeah, Ok. That article sais neighboring states, but:

chguernsey.com sais:
    "Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin told media last fall it would probably be a good idea for the city to start looking at laying pipelines beyond its basin borders to tap distant water sources."

The Great Lakes basin isn't THAT distant from GA, so SOMEONE in Atlanta is talking about it, and if I felt like digging around through Congressional newsources, I guarantee I'd find some Senator or Congressman running his mouth about how it's not his region's fault that they are gaining population while our region is losing it, and the water needs to be shared. But I don't feel like digging around because this back and forth banter about Georgia is NOT the point.
    The Great Lakes basin is approximately 700 miles from Georgia and NO ONE here has ever publicly talked about taking water from there.. AND the back and forth banter IS the point since you brought it up with factually incorrect hearsay and your very poor assumptions as to what you thought you read, heard, whatever. Just go back to your little class and figure out something else you can misrepresent.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    The Great Lakes basin is approximately 700 miles from Georgia and NO ONE here has ever publicly talked about taking water from there.. AND the back and forth banter IS the point since you brought it up with factually incorrect hearsay and your very poor assumptions as to what you thought you read, heard, whatever. Just go back to your little class and figure out something else you can misrepresent.
    I didn't misrepresent anything. The discussion HAS been happening for years, by several Georgian politicians and others. And I didn't bring this up, you posted about this before I did. Who fucking cares?!

So what's your problem anyway? PMS? Not getting any lately? I didn't attack you personally, so your rude comments really aren't necessary to get your point across. It's people like you who make people like me not want to post shit on this site anymore. I bet it's real easy for someone to be a dirtbag when they aren't in your face saying the shit.

The point [[to everyone else) is that this is a really bad idea. And the Great Lakes are still in danger even with a signed compact, if you read the articles about it you would agree.

So what's your problem anyway? PMS? Not getting any lately? I didn't attack you personally, so your rude comments really aren't necessary to get your point across. It's people like you who make people like me not want to post shit on this site anymore. I bet it's real easy for someone to be a dirtbag when they aren't in your face saying the shit.
    And you call me being rude? All I've done is to point out that you don't have a clue what you're talking about, NEVER called you names or made comments like your CRAP above. If you can't take being called out for your total lack of knowledge of a subject you brought up first in your post #43 then you probably should, as you said, "not want to post shit on this site anymore".

Hope you do well in your next Economic Geography Class test.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3