Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Summer of 1968

in 1969, George and another guy [[sorry the synapises aren't firing) set to the task of re-writing the process in which the Dems choose their Presidential choices. His intent was to even-out the process and to give smaller states a bigger voice, essentially to wrest power from the Party Elite.

Not sure if you can judge his efforts successful or not, but he was able to pull off the nomination. Too bad he couldn't have picked a running mate who wasn't considered a "nut case" in Tom Eagleton ... R. Sargent Shriver was a poor second choice and a patently self-serving attempt to grab a little Camelot luster.

McGovern was/is a basically decent man, reasonable human who didn't have the cold heartlessness that was the hallmark of previous Democratic candidates. His views were seen as wishy-washy and weak, and Nixon beat him like a rented mule.

As pricky as Nixon was, and viewed now as a paranoid martinet, I feel that he would be termed a RINO in today's marketplace of ideas. He is the guy that established the EPA, reached out to China ... even famous liberal gadfly, Norm Choamsky has called Nixon the last liberal President.

Noam Chomsky. I don't think he'd appreciate being called liberal. LOL

yes, you got me there, Noam defies such a simplistic label. I'll try to be less squared headed in the future. Moreover, mispelling his name is what could be considered a hanging offense in some quarters.

If anyone wants a blow-by-blow re-telling of the '72 campaign, I strongely suggest you pick up a copy of Hunter S. Thompson's book, Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail in '72. It is an excellent observer's take on the entire campaign. Thompson's look at Wallace is especially telling and while he doesn't make the full connection, he lays out how Wallace could very well have been the standard bearer if Walter Bremer hadn't made Wallace's acquaintance in Maryland.

Thompson's writing on the Convention in Miami paints a real picture of the mush that were the Democrats in '72. McGovern's re-writing of the party rules flowered in Miami and resulted in George giving his acceptence speech at 3 a.m.

dblbaum....thanks for the link..that is a fantastic resource.

it is interesting, the parallels of the political atmosphere at that time compared to now. history teaches us nothing. well, it teaches the politicians nothing, anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2