Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Woodward Avenue Coney is still on Woodward. There's another coney inside the Ren Cen. Plenty of coneys along Monroe, from Ham Shoppe down to Plaka. I don't understand why you think there are only two coney spots left downtown. Oh well. Who cares.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pontchartrain View Post
    Funny. I am personal friends with Lois Keros and was with the late Joe Keros. I asked them many times why they we such a hit. They didn't know either. Joe said he was not the only outlet for the hot dogs they purchased from a suburban supplier. The bun is featured in thousands of restaurants across Michigan. I said it "must be the chili". He replied that it was just a frozen chili log and they dump in some Sysco brand cumin.

They were able to weather the closing of downtown retail and outlasted all the other Greek restaurants on Lafayette. Razed as they were for the parking garage. Sometimes the last one left wins.

There you have it. Plus the secret recipe.
    There is no Santa Claus or Easter Bunny.

<P>Pontchartrain-you rock-..you are correct-sysco or Gordon foods-Ive bought the same chili block at Gordons-you speak the&nbsp; truth</P>

Nor is there a Tooth Fairy, Snipes, or a UNIQUE Detroit hot dog. Nice to believe so when you are young and naive. For a couple bucks though I bet you could get your picture taken on the lap an American Coney Island waiter.
    Since you despise coney dogs, I'll take your advice for what it's worth. Bubkis.

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    I am a former Detroiter now living in Naples, FL. Last week, in the Friday "weekender" section of the Naples paper, there was a quarter page ad selling Detroit coney dog "kits" from All American. I wanted to barf!

Growing up in Lansing, my wife had never known what the Lafayette/National debate was all about. On our last visit to Detroit, I took her to the packed Lafayette, dined on the best coneys in the world, and then when we were done, I took her next door and showed her the almost empty AA. To me, that says it all: Lafayette is packed, AA is a ghost town. Lafayette, hands down.

BTW, is Senate's still open in Taylor? That was a hang out when I was growing up.
    Senate is still going strong. Good coney's but I really like their Greek Taco. A fairly new place to check out is What Up, Dog at Pelham and Outer Drive in Dearborn. They have all the dog styles. My new fave is a slaw dog, a hot dog with fresh made cole slaw.

I am repulsed by the thought of vermin fur, droppings or foot prints in my food.
    Maybe that gives it the "authentic" taste?

Augustiner Guest

Ain't nothing special in a Philly Cheesesteak either, but you can't run for President without stuffing one down your gullet. At least coneys don't have Cheez Whiz on them.

Augustiner Guest

If a food show goes to Philly we give it a DUH. If a food show comes to Detroit "they nailed it!" I was there! Eat there constantly! It's a national treasure. Hot dogs in the "D" are the bomb! The Ren Cen will save the city coupled with our two Coney's!

They do grill the Philly steak. They serve them in the "D". When I have or see a coney stand in another city no one relates it to Detroit. "Gosh this isn't like a hot dog in Detroit." Nobody says that!

Face it. We do NOT have a unique or signature food in Detroit. We have cars and racism and urban expansion. The rest of the nice stuff is only found in the suburbs. While in
    Downtown I constantly had to explain...."There are no real stores downtown.". That is unless you came here for a great piece of pottery. Many people will buy anything you tell them to. Even a hot dog in a dirty restaurant.
    Thanks for the incoherent rant. Sorry downtown living wasn't everything you hoped it would be.

Augustiner Guest

Really? I was incoherent? I said go eat one. Run that sh*t through your system. I wish I could see a picture of you. Are you fit?
    I've got no beef with you. I just have no idea what in the hell you're talking about, or how it relates to my post. If you don't feel like scrolling up, here is what I said:
    Ain't nothing special in a Philly Cheesesteak either, but you can't run for President without stuffing one down your gullet. At least coneys don't have Cheez Whiz on them.
    I never said coneys are my favorite food, or I eat them every day, or they're going to save Detroit, or anything of the sort. I've eaten four coneys in the last six months, I'm 5'8 and 135 pounds, and you're still not making any goddamn sense.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4