Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

American seems to be filthy every single time I go there. The floors aren't swept and the tables still have those dried coke rings left over from the cups.

I have never eaten at American. I refuse to stand in a line to order when I can sit down immediately next door and be served promptly.

You people are either clairvoyant or very well-informed to be picking up this thread again, today of all days. I'm watching the episode now. Having sat down with some tortilla chips and salsa and thinking how I will have to make it a point to buy some Salsa at that store in Mexicantown when I'm in town, and this episode comes on.. What better to do than check DY. :-)

He's currently downriver somewhere to eat some kind of a giant 190 lb cheeseburger, with 10 lbs of cheese and so on. He's got a small army of Detroiters with him to help, "40 Warriors," he calls them. People really turned out for this episode, there's dudes in KISS make up and whatnot. Hilarious. In any event, he copped out and didn't pick a winner. Instead, He faked his cell phone going off at the crucial juncture, and said he had to take this call. Hehehe...he knows better than to inject himself into that debate [[it was American vs Lafayette, btw).

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I like the owner of Lafayette's comment. Whoever wins, its a win for Detroit.
    Sure was. They picked nice angles to shoot from down there. Made it look real nice [[if memory serves, there were other angles that didn't look as nice).

Sheesh, that burger's got a giant bun and everything. Hehehe...
    Last edited by fryar; July-16-10 at 06:30 PM.

Downtown, Lafayette gets my vote. Suburbs, Apollo Coney Island on Van Dyke north of Utica Rd in Sterling Hts. Apollo has a nice chili recipe [[ the owners ) . Their loose are to die for. They steam the buns. Their chili fries are not too shabby either. I have tried many a coney in this state. Those 2 places are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by fanniemae View Post
    Downtown, Lafayette gets my vote. Suburbs, Apollo Coney Island on Van Dyke north of Utica Rd in Sterling Hts. Apollo has a nice chili recipe [[ the owners ) . Their loose are to die for. They steam the buns. Their chili fries are not too shabby either. I have tried many a coney in this state. Those 2 places are the best.
    I just ate now youre making me hungry again mmm. Lafayette!

I hear you... I did not mean it from a deep "aesthetic" point of view re. the historic feel of American... just that they had some pictures of older Detroit put up. I did actually go to Lafayette which was more authentic in that area. Including the actual feel of grit and grease well engraved into the place over the years. LOL! The other joint was originally United Shirt so I do know the actual history being born in Detroit.

I am not a big coney eater but once every few years is ok. Lafayette was much better in terms of the chili. It had more character and flavor imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    The decor was cool and historic??? Longtime coney eaters will know historic decor is Lafayette which has been the EXACT same since I can remember. And thats not bad thing either. Glad my thread has been remembered. Let us know what you think of Lafayette!
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-17-10 at 09:22 AM.

"Real Detroiters" know there's nothing whatsoever special about Duly's. It's your run-of-the-mill coney island joint.

But "real Detroiters" don't feel the need to eat in a ghetto restaurant in order to prove their "street cred."

"Hey, look at me. I'm hangin' out in The D! I just left the Town Pump and now I'm at Duly's! Where you have to talk past the boiler to get to the bathroom! Isn't this dangerous? Aren't I hep?"

I've been in Duly's at 2:20 a.m. when these wanna-be .........s come in after the hipster bars close. Their discussions often revolve around who is and who isn't a "real Detroiter."

LOL! That's a point!! I've never been to Duly's but too much grime, grit and crapy bathroom is not something I want to associated too much with my FOOD - period.
    Quote Originally Posted by dookie joe View Post
    "Real Detroiters" know there's nothing whatsoever special about Duly's. It's your run-of-the-mill coney island joint.

But "real Detroiters" don't feel the need to eat in a ghetto restaurant in order to prove their "street cred."

"Hey, look at me. I'm hangin' out in The D! I just left the Town Pump and now I'm at Duly's! Where you have to talk past the boiler to get to the bathroom! Isn't this dangerous? Aren't I hep?"

I've been in Duly's at 2:20 a.m. when these wanna-be .........s come in after the hipster bars close. Their discussions often revolve around who is and who isn't a "real Detroiter."

Quote Originally Posted by dookie joe View Post

What Duly's does pretty well, is breakfast... omelettes and such. Never had one of their coneys.

I'm sure their coneys are nothing special. But then again, coneys are nothing special, period. Detroiters have hyped 'em into being "our signature food," and fight about who makes the best ones, but they're freakin' chili dogs, fer chrissake. Meh... natural casings and all.

Yeah, neither American nor Lafayette get any stars in the cleanliness department, they've got that grunge thing going. I just get my eat-on there once every few years...
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    American seems to be filthy every single time I go there. The floors aren't swept and the tables still have those dried coke rings left over from the cups.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-17-10 at 10:02 PM.

Alot of people don't know about Red Hots Coney Island in Highland Park.it's on Victor off of Woodward.oldest Coney Island in Michigan!

The News has a new article about Coneys in Detroit culture.. http://www.detnews.com/article/20101...oyal-to-coneys

...Metro Times has a listing as well.. has anyone been to Hippo Dogs in Troy? it says they have hot Italian beef sandwiches...

Coneys are gross but Duly's is boss. American is good though they have some rockin hot wings!

LAFAYETTE FOR LIFE....my fiance and I go there all the time!!!

I like the atmosphere at Lafayette Coney better, but for some reason the Chilie is better at American and I eat there.

Two pages and no one mentioned Onassties?

I am a former Detroiter now living in Naples, FL. Last week, in the Friday "weekender" section of the Naples paper, there was a quarter page ad selling Detroit coney dog "kits" from All American. I wanted to barf!

Growing up in Lansing, my wife had never known what the Lafayette/National debate was all about. On our last visit to Detroit, I took her to the packed Lafayette, dined on the best coneys in the world, and then when we were done, I took her next door and showed her the almost empty AA. To me, that says it all: Lafayette is packed, AA is a ghost town. Lafayette, hands down.

BTW, is Senate's still open in Taylor? That was a hang out when I was growing up.
    Last edited by mallory; December-10-10 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    I am a former Detroiter now living in Naples, FL. Last week, in the Friday "weekender" section of the Naples paper, there was a quarter page ad selling Detroit coney dog "kits" from All American. I wanted to barf!

Growing up in Lansing, my wife had never known what the Lafayette/National debate was all about. On our last visit to Detroit, I took her to the packed Lafayette, dined on the best coneys in the world, and then when we were done, I took her next door and showed her the almost empty AA. To me, that says it all: Lafayette is packed, AA is a ghost town. Lafayette, hands down.

BTW, is Senate's still open in Taylor? That was a hang out when I was growing up.
    Where's the All American Coney?

What a waste of time, thats why no one reads our local fish wrap its because of BS stories like this...who gives a flying F! its a hot dog and your eating it in a cess pool of a city...lets focus on things to move the city forward...

Quote Originally Posted by ja!mz View Post
    What a waste of time, thats why no one reads our local fish wrap its because of BS stories like this...who gives a flying F! its a hot dog and your eating it in a cess pool of a city...lets focus on things to move the city forward...
    Perhaps if you just ignored this thread and let the people who want to discuss hot dogs to their own devices while you 'move the city forward' it would be better for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by ja!mz View Post
    On the contrary, this is an interesting topic, because we are discussing our local heritage. Celebrating the food, people and history of Detroit is important, because it's what makes us unique. It's what makes us who we are. It gives us a comfortable sense of place and identity. These are important local businesses, some of which are approaching 100 years on the block. These little hot dogs are just one more thing separating us from Anywhere, U.S.A.

Quote Originally Posted by pontchartrain View Post
    A hog dog is something available in EVERY city in the United States. In fact they are common around the world. I don't know why two coney's would make Detroit so much more unique than "anywhere USA". A few decades ago there were quite a few coney islands downtown. These are just the last ones left in the CBD.
    Ah, but they're not mere "hot dogs." They're CONEY DOGS. They are a Detroit institution. Go to Chicago and say of their Chicago-style hot dog: "Big deal. Every city has hot dogs." Or go to the south and dismiss their slaw dogs as "just another hot dog." You'll find out quickly that a hot dog is not always a hot dog.

Also, there are several coney islands that remain in the CBD.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    On the contrary, this is an interesting topic, because we are discussing our local heritage. Celebrating the food, people and history of Detroit is important, because it's what makes us unique. It's what makes us who we are. It gives us a comfortable sense of place and identity. These are important local businesses, some of which are approaching 100 years on the block. These little hot dogs are just one more thing separating us from Anywhere, U.S.A.
    Thanks. Exactly the point even if you're not a big hot dog fan. I'm not the biggest hot dog fan, but I have to get my eat on, as someone so nicely said it here earlier. Detroit has Coneys. It's a defining food of our city whether it be American, Lafayette or National. Duly's is also excellent. Your surroundings affect how you enjoy what you eat. That's why and how you remember experiences. I recently had a long lost friend contact me via facebook after about 15 years. She's from Ottawa ONT but has lived all over the world - Mexico, England, Japan. One of her remembrances was coming to Detroit on a summer night and going to bars and the coney. She described the coney as one of the best hot dogs she'd ever had anywhere. It is one of her strong and affectionate connections to Detroit. Quite a memory for a world traveler. And she still speaks highly of Detroit, in no small part due to her memories of the bustling coney early in the AM.

Now we have people trolling by insulting the coney dog? Is nothing sacred?

Ponch, you don't disprove that the coney dog is Detroit's great food, it's that you simply don't care. I suspect you've never been educated about hot dogs. For a primer on just how wonderful America's great tapestry of local dogs is, check out the "Hot Dog Program."

http://www.wqed.org/tv/natl/hotdogs/index.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by pontchartrain View Post
    I wasn't trying to disprove anything. It is a COMMON HOT DOG. When you couple that with a dirty restaurant serving it on a plastic plate go figure. The dog, the bun, the chili, the mustard, the onions, etc. nothing is produced in house. With all the time saved on food prep you think they could sweep the side walk? Wash the windows? Call Orkin?
    Nah. You don't know what you're talking about. The coney dog is an all-beef, natural casing hot dog with no filler, served on a soft, steamed bun, covered with all-beef chili, raw diced onions and mustard. Often eaten with a knife and fork. And it's a Detroit thing. You don't like it, fine, just don't call it a common hot dog. In fact, you don't like coney islands? Stay away from them. It's just stupid for somebody who doesn't like something and actively stays away from places that serve it to sound off on the subject, because you don't know what you're talking about.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast