Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I'm not sure about Eastland, but at Oakland & Summit Place it was Kerby's Koney Island. Kerby's is pretty much all over the westside, while National maintains its presence on the eastside. Leo's is trying to make inroads all over the metro area. Personally, I prefer Kerby's over National, Leo's, or even Senate. I've haven't been to Lafayette or American enough recently to have an opinion.
    The Lafayette's in the malls were there back in the 60's and 70's, maybe early 80's. Not since then

Stosh Guest

I'm not sure about Eastland, but at Oakland & Summit Place it was Kerby's Koney Island. Kerby's is pretty much all over the westside, while National maintains its presence on the eastside. Leo's is trying to make inroads all over the metro area. Personally, I prefer Kerby's over National, Leo's, or even Senate. I've haven't been to Lafayette or American enough recently to have an opinion.
    Kerby's is a recent development.

Here's a link to the obit from an obit site, as well as the text you need to read.

BOONE, LEOANRD P. “LEO” of Waterford. September 18, 2004 at 46 years of age. Beloved husband of Kimberly for 28 years. Loving father of Anthony, Andrew and Austin. Dear son of Raymond and Ruth Boone of Akron, OH formerly of Waterford. Loving brother of James [[Candi) Boone of FL, Carolyn [[Dan) Filiatrault of CA and Walter [[Michelle) Boone of Waterford. Leo is also survived by his in-laws Harry [[Joan) Downs of Davisburg & Mercedes Hadley of Petosky and dear friends Kevin and Alison McCort of Waterford. Also survived by other loving family members and many friends. Leo owned and operated Lafayette Coney Island in Oakland Mall and Westland Mall. He loved his family, boating and golfing. Funeral service will be Tuesday, September 21, 2004 11:00 AM at COATS FUNERAL HOME, Waterford. Pastor Tom Hartley officiating. Interment following at Crescent Hills Cemetery, Waterford. Visitation friends Sunday 1-5 p.m. and Monday 5-8 p.m. Donations may be made to Cranbrook Hospice. Envelopes available at the funeral home.
    http://www.genealogybuff.com/ucd/web...ames/read/1673

Also wikpedia:
    Smaller stores at this time local chains such as Winkelman's and Sanders Confectionary, as well as national chains like The Gap, The Limited and Musicland. Eateries were scattered throughout the mall and were numerous as well, including two bakeries [[Tiffany's and Cookie Kitchen), Hot Sam [[pretzels), Lafayette Coney Island, Big Boy, and a meat retailer [[Ray's Prime Meats).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southland_Center_[[Michigan)

I used to eat at Lafeyette in the Westland Mall alot.Think its a Kerbys now, don't really go to the mall. L.Georges is ok they have a few round here but they ain't like DOWNTOWN.

Okay, okay, don't beat me up. I guess I'm just not as old as some other posters here. I don't remember Lafayette being in the malls, just Kerby's.

Hadn't been to either in years. I stopped at Lafayette one saturday afternoon last year. The resturant was dirty and the coney's weren't that good [[fries were though).

I haven't decided yet. Either I'm getting older with a more discerning palate, or coney islands are much better when you're pissy drunk at 4am!

LAFAYETTE is an institution! My father took me there often as a kid! Hands down, they are the best! They also had an outlet in the Livonia Mall

which place is the most expensive? I've been to American once; two coneys, chili-cheese fries, and a pepsi set me back $11+ tip...

Pfffffffffffft. Apparently, American beat Lafayette in the Travel Channel contest.

http://freep.com/article/20100312/EN...The-winner-is-...

Obviously, Carmen Harlan needs to get her taste buds checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    which place is the most expensive? I've been to American once; two coneys, chili-cheese fries, and a pepsi set me back $11+ tip...
    American is for the most part, although Latayette only accepts cash.

My history with the Coney's goes as follows.

My uncle was a big Tigers fan and used to take me to games in the 90's. He would always 'shake' hands with the ushers [[palming a 5 or 10) and snag us some good seats. I was 10 or 12 at the time. After a double header one day we made our way to the Coneys [[our usual was trappers alley) this was like being asked into a secret society for me.

Me being a picky youngin I was asked for a foot long [[My mother was an avid A&W customer having worked there in her adolescence) . My uncle interrupted, embarrassed, and simply said "he'll have 1 on 1"

One dog with everything and a milk. I was astounded when the waiter came out and poured it from behind me over my head.

After eating my coney my normally cool headed calm uncle leaned over to me and emphatically whispered "remember this... you never eat at that f***ing place next door. ok?"

I nodded.

The rest is history.

I've grown to love the underdog... The grit of a good dive bar. The character of a well worn counter, and the comfort of a small shabby diner or bar. I think it all has stemmed from this one event.

I am a Lafayette Coney person.

I used to like the Kerby's that was just inside the main entrance to the Summit Place during its heyday. I went to the new-ish, stand-alone location off of Summit Drive last week...I'm impressed by their loyalty to the area, after [[obviously) closing the location inside the mall several years ago. I ordered a couple coneys, and my reaction was "meh." I'm spoiled by favorites such as Lafayette in Detroit, Super Chief in Pontiac, and LiPuma's in Rochester...

Did anybody go? Who won?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Did anybody go? Who won?
    I heard on the news that American won

I heard that, too, big surprise! I like them both.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I heard on the news that American won
    Cinderella story.

I like the owner of Lafayette's comment. Whoever wins, its a win for Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Cinderella story.
    That's one OLD Cinderella.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I like the owner of Lafayette's comment. Whoever wins, its a win for Detroit.
    Now that's a GREAT statement.

Stopped in Lafayette Saturday night. Place was packed. Walked past American on the way out 3, yes 3 customers. Who won again?

Oh man - I don't even care. I could so go for a couple of coney dogs right now. Mmmmmmmm!!!!

Well that victory cements my decision to never step foot in American. I wish them well and all but I don't want to mess up my life experiece of only eating Lafayette Coneys.
    His comment is true and its great they have both lasted this long. Honestly how many places that serve basically the same thing could survive this long? If you named one factor in the Detroit economy!

Default Coneys tomorrow!

Chef Michael Symon Films Food Network Show Tomorrow --
    Coney Lovers are Invited to Attend -- Downtown Detroit

When:
    Friday, March 19 – 1:30 to 4:30 PM

Where:
    In front of American and Lafayette Coney Island restaurants, Michigan Ave. and Lafayette Ave. [[Michigan Ave. will be closed off for the filming.)

Who:
    Chef Michael Symon of Michael Symon’s Roast restaurant at the Westin Book Cadillac Hotel, cookbook author, and Food Network Iron Chef.

Symon also owns two restaurants in Cleveland.

What:
    Chef Symon is the host of the Food Network pilot show Food Feud that will film in downtown Detroit featuring Detroit’s two famed and loved Coney Island restaurants – American and Lafayette.

The first 150 people who come to the filming event will get a free Coney. Symon will also interview onlookers as part of the show format. Symon now has his own version of a Coney on the Roast bar menu.

lots of interesting characters used to go there in the middle of the night...used to take the bus downtown years ago when I couldn't or didnt want to sleep...lots of mentally ill and vagrant types trying to sell trinkets of one sort or another...

I was walking about downtown sight seeing and went into American and had two coneys and a chili. The decor of the place was cool and historic, the service great with the guys yelling their odd phrasing for various coney type things! The chili was extraordinarily bland. Pop refills were free! I will try Lafayette next for a comparison of the chili..... it seemed more flavored that last time I had it about five years back......
    Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Lafayette and American are both great. Good places for the TV shows and the tourists. But any real Detroiter will tell you that Duly's is the very best.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-16-10 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I was walking about downtown sight seeing and went into American and had two coneys and a chili. The decor of the place was cool and historic, the service great with the guys yelling their odd phrasing for various coney type things! The chili was extraordinarily bland. Pop refills were free! I will try Lafayette next for a comparison of the chili..... it seemed more flavored that last time I had it about five years back......
    The decor was cool and historic??? Longtime coney eaters will know historic decor is Lafayette which has been the EXACT same since I can remember. And thats not bad thing either. Glad my thread has been remembered. Let us know what you think of Lafayette!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast