Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    Stop by Trumbull and Michigan , say hi! .will be across from old Tiger Stadium.
    How did the above post turn into this mess???

So, if I read the Detroit News article right, the head of the parade, Michael Kelly, told a bald-faced lie to people who wanted to march. He told them that the police informed him they were going to issue tickets, and Kelly even wrote that down and passed it out to applicants....only the cops never actually told him that. He took it upon himself to lie to people and say the cops were going to crack down.

Nice job. Making up lies in order to control what people do. If the cops aren't worried about candy and beads, why is this Kelly character worried about them? Sounds like a major control freak to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomfield Pills View Post
    So, if I read the Detroit News article right, the head of the parade, Michael Kelly, told a bald-faced lie to people who wanted to march. He told them that the police informed him they were going to issue tickets, and Kelly even wrote that down and passed it out to applicants....only the cops never actually told him that. He took it upon himself to lie to people and say the cops were going to crack down.

Nice job. Making up lies in order to control what people do. If the cops aren't worried about candy and beads, why is this Kelly character worried about them? Sounds like a major control freak to me.
    I love people who want to protect the people by lying to them.

WOW!!
    We went down spur of the moment last year, stood on the South side of Michigan across from the Gaelic League, took some great pics and had a good time. Missed all the "action" I guess...it was a lovely blue sky day for a parade. Been telling people to head down & if the weather stays dry, I hope to go again.

Wear the green with pride.

If some kids are that disappointed in not getting any beads...find the GSCC group after the parade and I will be happy to give them some. Unfortunately we won't have any candy. :-)

does anyone know what time they close michigan ave along the parade route? i need to get to 94 from south of michigan on sunday morning but am unsure what time i have until to make the crossing along trumbull or rosa parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    Your post here is disingenuous. Your initial post declared your contempt for the decision and since it followed statements by others that sounded like they would throw beads, it lead readers to think that you would be throwing beads as well. Please, re-read for yourself, If that was not your intention, then perhaps you should write more clearly. Toolbox's assumptions about you were correct based on the information given and the context in which it was presented.

Happy Saint Patrick's day.
    Seriously? I said that it was lame that they were not letting people give out treats from the parade route. That is just an opinion. I never said I was in the parade, or that I was planning on breaking the rules. There was no mention in Freep article about people attending the parade not being allowed to give out things, so that is what I plan to do. I should not need to preface an inquiry about where I can find some beads by saying I am a mom who wants to hand out goodies to the kids standing near us in the crowds. Toolbox came on and started throwing out insults about "people like me" and acted like an a-hole, period. Defend it if you like, but it makes you sound like one too.

Michigan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by aoife View Post
    Seriously? I said that it was lame that they were not letting people give out treats from the parade route. That is just an opinion. I never said I was in the parade, or that I was planning on breaking the rules. There was no mention in Freep article about people attending the parade not being allowed to give out things, so that is what I plan to do. I should not need to preface an inquiry about where I can find some beads by saying I am a mom who wants to hand out goodies to the kids standing near us in the crowds. Toolbox came on and started throwing out insults about "people like me" and acted like an a-hole, period. Defend it if you like, but it makes you sound like one too.

I like it when people start to backtrack.

What's the big deal with beads anyway? Mardi Gras is over.

Ravine Guest

I have it on the best authority possible that the Irish don't give a goddam about beads. 'Tis a meaningless sham which rocks the boat of tradition, and Irish truebloods are very fond of tradition.
    Potatoes. Beer. Singing. Some more beer, and some more singing. More potatoes. Sing; drink more beer. Eat a little bit of boiled cabbage, seasoned just a little hot, for tradition's sake and for the ease of it. More beer. Dance with somebody and reflexively flirt.
    Time to move onto a little whiskey. After that, the singing should become automatic. Cry a bit, not out of sadness, but from an overload of sentiment. Resist the urge to pick a fight.

If you're not Irish, wear green. If you are Irish, wear whatever you want; you're already Irish.

Remember that the Irish fight amongst themselves because there are no other worthy opponents.

But, beads? Who the McFuck said the Irish care for a bunch o' beads flyin' all over the place?
    Last edited by Ravine; March-13-10 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    I have it on the best authority possible that the Irish don't give a goddam about beads. 'Tis a meaningless sham which rocks the boat of tradition, and Irish truebloods are very fond of tradition.
    Potatoes. Beer. Singing. Some more beer, and some more singing. More potatoes. Sing; drink more beer. Eat a little bit of boiled cabbage, seasoned just a little hot, for tradition's sake and for the ease of it. More beer. Dance with somebody and reflexively flirt.
    Time to move onto a little whiskey. After that, the singing should become automatic. Cry a bit, not out of sadness, but from an overload of sentiment. Resist the urge to pick a fight.

If you're not Irish, wear green. If you are Irish, wear whatever you want; you're already Irish.

Remember that the Irish fight amongst themselves because there are no other worthy opponents.

But, beads? Who the McFuck said the Irish care for a bunch o' beads flyin' all over the place?
    You are right- I've had the honor to live there, so I can confirm that they don't give a fig about trinkets or wearing green or marching bands or half of what goes into our celebrations. But St. Pat's is not really an purely Irish tradition around here- it is an American one. It is about having pride in your heritage and having a bit of craic. Or if you are of the other persuasion, it is an excuse to get wasted. American traditions are very different, but it does not mean they are necessarily bad. My Irish friends who have come to visit have found them hilarious and fun- according to them it is a lot more lively than going to mass and then over to the pub for the day.
    So anyways, Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone- hope you have a great time wherever you land.

when you are 100% Irish, every day is like St.Paddys!

Quote Originally Posted by aoife View Post
    I am the type who has children and know how disappointed a bunch of the little attendees are going to be at not getting any sparkly necklaces.
    There are always charity organizations working the crowds on both sides of the parade route, rewarding donations with a string of beads. The Leukemia/Lymphoma Society is one such group and everyone wins....little attendees get sparkly necklaces, and your donation helps find new treatments, and someday a cure, for blood cancers.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Oranges View Post
    There are always charity organizations working the crowds on both sides of the parade route, rewarding donations with a string of beads. The Leukemia/Lymphoma Society is one such group and everyone wins....little attendees get sparkly necklaces, and your donation helps find new treatments, and someday a cure, for blood cancers.
    Those people won't be allowed to pass out anything, either, according to the News story. Nobody will.

Well now, I'm wondering if this "No throwing stuff to the crowds" rule will apply to the Thanksgiving Day Parade as well later in the year.

The Parade was a huge success. Very well attended despite the cool temps; crowds were estimated near the 80,000 mark. The Georgia Street Community Collective amased a small but enthusiastic cadre of marchers and walked the entire route. Hats off to Cub and Blueidone for bringing together - a the last minute - a good group of folks.

The littlest marcher, Conner, registered in at 15 months said he was looking forward to next yr's event. Django made a cameo appearance by swooping in with true pirate style. Fun all around.

Oh, there was no massive bead revolt in evidence, but open beers were all around.

Gnome-it was very nice meeting you!

Pgn, yes, likewise ... funny, your picture in the post office doesn't do you justice; but I will try to pick up a copy of that book you were reading. It's always good expand one's knowledge base.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    The Parade was a huge success. Very well attended despite the cool temps; crowds were estimated near the 80,000 mark. The Georgia Street Community Collective amased a small but enthusiastic cadre of marchers and walked the entire route. Hats off to Cub and Blueidone for bringing together - a the last minute - a good group of folks.

The littlest marcher, Conner, registered in at 15 months said he was looking forward to next yr's event. Django made a cameo appearance by swooping in with true pirate style. Fun all around.

Oh, there was no massive bead revolt in evidence, but open beers were all around.
    I was not able to take the family down due in part to the weather, and 2 of my 3 being under it.

I did go down and run in the race. Was given five sets of beads at the registration.

Kept them in pocket and gave them to my children when I got home.

...forgot that the announced crowed for the 5K was...5K. They said a new record.

Gnome - thanks a lot buddy - my nightly cup of tea just got sprayed onto my keyboard! I should know better by now than to drink something while reading these threads!

Default St Patties Day Parade

Had a great time. All the years Ive been in Detroit and this is the first time Ive actually hung out and partied St Pats. PGN wouldn't stop feeding me beers, Jack and jello shots. I ran into Cub and his gang and finally met Blueidone. Gnome brought his brand new very lovable puppy [[second to last pic)who he hasn't found the right name for yet [[I like that). Ill be going next year for sure, and I think Ill bring a couch.

My Pops [[Grandfather) would have turned 100 years old today if he were alive. Heres a few pics.
    Last edited by Django; May-03-10 at 03:39 AM.

Thanks for the pics, Django, I am in Austin, Texas for SXSW and sadly had to leave Corktown behind while all you guys had a great time.

Also, thank you for not talking about the politics of bead-throwing and parade littering. Who ever thought a little thing like that could lead to such a heated discussion about race & morals? That's detroit for ya.... Thanks guys.

I have to say that even though I have been to many many Detroit St. Patrick's Day parades that I think the beads/candy throwing ban is not terribly intolerable. The ban on observers in the street does make the sidewalks more crowded but in past parades some of the bagpipe bands, etc. have had to use volunteers to make room for the marchers because the crowd had spilled out into the street so far. I think eventually these new restrictions will be accepted well. But for several years it was fun having a drunk fest on the street with beads and things flying through the air, much like Detroit's own mardi gras event.

The younginns and I caught that bus, rode downtown, walked thru Corktown, and eventually ended up in front of the Free Press building on Fort, waiting again for that bus. There was something noticeably missing while beating feet thru Corktown - Tiger Stadium! Ironically, it was nice to have more elbow room.

Highlights:

- Those loft apartments. Told my little man that is where he should live. Looked like alot of fun.

- Windsor PD. Their presence is like a handshake.

- All the Detroit High School marching bands, especially UDM for their kick-ass cover of "Thriller"

- The DPD and DFD. Total class. Thanks for not beating all those people over the head, those people who had "open containers". ;-)

- Loved the Star Wars guys. Heh.

- Rouge Park Bar "float". Go Brightmoe, go Warrrendale.

Funny, seemed to me that nobody even raised a hair about beads or candy. Hm.

That's my two cents on the whole affair.

As always, an excellent job.

....... back to the laboratory.

thanks for the update. i was wondering if the police were going to be overly strick about the open containers. Drinking on the sidewalk for the parade is an old tradition and it would be a shame to try to kill it. I could see dealing with people that are out of control but to me why issue a ticket if a person is just drinking a beer and watching the parade and not bothering anyone? The parade goers are a truly fun-loving bunch although there can be a few true a**holes.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4