Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default St. Patrick's Day Parade

In response to those taking swips at the Parade Committee as a result of the ban on the throwing of Candy or Beads.

The Detroit News Article has the DPD taking the high road with the statement that they aren't issuing tickets for such behavior. No of course not, that would be ridiculous. However, in ascertaining the permit for this great event. The City and DPD made it quite clear that we need to make major improvements in control our Crowd. The only way to keep the crowd out of the street is to give them no reason to run into it.

As I mentioned in a previous post, "it is a privilege to March down Michigan Ave-Corktown". Without a joint cooperation between the United Irish Societies [[UIS) the sponsor of the 52nd Annual St. Patricks Day Parade and the City of Detroit, we would not have a permit to march. No float or bus ever threw anything to the crowd worth a crap to jeordize this great tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by Olaim1 View Post
    In response to those taking swips at the Parade Committee as a result of the ban on the throwing of Candy or Beads.

The Detroit News Article has the DPD taking the high road with the statement that they aren't issuing tickets for such behavior. No of course not, that would be ridiculous. However, in ascertaining the permit for this great event. The City and DPD made it quite clear that we need to make major improvements in control our Crowd. The only way to keep the crowd out of the street is to give them no reason to run into it.

As I mentioned in a previous post, "it is a privilege to March down Michigan Ave-Corktown". Without a joint cooperation between the United Irish Societies [[UIS) the sponsor of the 52nd Annual St. Patricks Day Parade and the City of Detroit, we would not have a permit to march. No float or bus ever threw anything to the crowd worth a crap to jeordize this great tradition.
    Oh, Jesus. I don't care about people throwing beads, candy, or even hosing down the crowd with Bush Mills. What concerns me more are the hoodlums in the crowd, like that one kid who smashed a bottle over a reveler's head and took off. I think, perhaps, those sorts of things might be a wee bit more important than edicts about candy and beads.

Default Detroit Nerd

Nice attempt to stir something up. I believe you have your events mixed up. Give me a police report #. I'd be happy to look into this one.

It isn't about candy or beads. It is about keeping children out of the street and harms way. No matter what event you hold in any city in AMerica; measures need to be taken to do your best to insure the overall safety of your crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    I got beads at Michael's Craft Store, Walmart and JoAnne's crafts yesterday.
    Thanks!

It isn't about candy or beads. It is about keeping children out of the street and harms way. No matter what event you hold in any city in AMerica; measures need to be taken to do your best to insure the overall safety of your crowd.
    Understood.

However, last year the walkers with our float were handing out beads to crowds behind the fences and on the sidewalk, not throwing anything - will that be acceptable? Or are beads disallowed as a blanket measure?

Detroitnerd, isn't that the hazard of crowds of 70000+ people? I don't see how the parade organizations could do anything about something like that; it's a public event. All told, I think it's much safer than some other events in the city. At least no one got shot, like at the Super Bowl.

Default Jtw

Unfortunately, everything is banned for this year throwing or passing. We need to regain control of the parade route. I am sure that you can remember certain areas of the parade route where the crowd was nearly out to the left hand turn lane.

Please go to the website to view the Marching Order/General Order & Instruction

http://www.detroitstpatricksparade.com/

Michigan Guest

Who pays to clean up all the beads and candies left on the floor?

Default St. Patrick's Day Parade

The UIS the Parade Sponsor pays for the clean up after the Parade. I believe Corktown Historical Society pays for someone to come Monday.

Olaim, You're doing a good job with the Parade. It has become larger, better attended and with a little better behavior from the adults, a nicer event for families.

Nice attempt to stir something up. I believe you have your events mixed up. Give me a police report #. I'd be happy to look into this one.
    Attempt to stir something up? What, I talk about legitimate problems at the parade, such as a kid smashing a bottle over a guy's head, knocking him out cold, and the ambulance and police not knowing how to handle it [[don't ask somebody with a head wound to "stand up and walk it off") and I'm the one trying to "stir something up"? You can't even control the freakin' violence at the parade, and you want to crack down on beads and other bullshit? Go jump in the river.

Default DetroitNerd

Please stay home if you don't feel safe on a Sunday in the middle of the afternoon on Michigan Ave.

Please stay home if you don't feel safe on a Sunday in the middle of the afternoon on Michigan Ave.
    I know! What with all those dangerous candies and beads flying around!

Olaim, please understand that buy outlawing beads and candy you are just going to upset an area that has already had it with authority and what not. It is a stupid rule and will just cause more problems because people are now going to make sure they throw stuff. It goes with the law makers who just keep passing law after law so the masses feel safe. Just keep pushing people with rules and laws until they start pushing back....What's next outlaw alcohol on opening day because there might be kids there? The smart thing to do would have been to not even bring the issue up, then people would probably still throw beads yet not as obnoxiously as it probably will be now.

besides what's with government and what not "protecting our kids" Parents should handle that job themselves. If the parents don't want the kids in the street then don't let them in the street!

gravitymachine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chitaku View Post
    looks like i'm bringing more beads and candy than ever this year! up yours kelly!

!

you show em!

Michigan Guest

Why does everyone want to disobey the rules and make a mess? Is this the image that we want Detroit to portray to the rest of the country? Is it fair to make more clean up for the parade sponsor? I am a little shocked at the maturity levels of the citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    Why does everyone want to disobey the rules and make a mess? Is this the image that we want Detroit to portray to the rest of the country? Is it fair to make more clean up for the parade sponsor? I am a little shocked at the maturity levels of the citizenry.
    You're right, we should just be quiet and obedient.

[[love it, see y'all on Sunday)

Haven't been THIS eager for the parade in forever...

Toolbox Guest

Be warned - DPD is very serious about crowd control and the public drinking. I believe it is a $75 + ticket.
    About time.

Truly can't speak for the City Administration and the DPD. I guess the City feels the Parade has become a street party and they intend on enforcing the laws. Sure they looked the other way in years past. But the crowds are reaching 75000+ and they can no longer look the other way.

In order to obtain this years permit the UIS [[United Irish Societies) agreed to many changes [[for the good) in order to maintain control. We have added more Porto-Potties and Trash bins. To keep the crowd out of the street their will be no throwing of candy or beads.

It is a privilege that the City allows us to March down Michigan Ave-Corktown.
    Keep up the good work to keep this tradition going.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
    I heard about the plan to crack down on open alcohol, too. My first thought is, they're gonna need a whole lot of cops. I'm kind of surprised, because in all the years I've been going there it's always been a good bunch of people. They're drinking, but it's unusual for fights or to break out. It's mostly littering and peeing.
    Nothing to see here, just step over the passed out drunks, urine and vomit. They would not tolerate this in Royal Oak so why should Detroit?

Keep on keeping it real.

Quote Originally Posted by Traxus View Post
    Also, parade chairman Michael Kelly is scheduled for surgery on Friday. The doctors hope to remove a possibly fatal stick that has been lodged into his nether regions.
    Say nice things about Detroit, right?

looks like i'm bringing more beads and candy than ever this year! up yours kelly!!
    You stay classy chitaku.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHabitater View Post
    i would settle for 'no passed out persons laying on a pee-soaked sidewalk'.
    That would be a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aoife View Post
    How lame. Anyone know of a local place where I can get beads?
    Way to ruin it for others if you throw beads at the parade. Bet you are the types that bitch when you get pulled over for a broken tail light, cracked windsheild, expired tag...

The crowds were so bad last year that the parade had to stop in several areas till the police cleared the crowd from the street. This is not safe for spectators or attendees.

The UIS could have just said fuck it and not had a parade.

That's what it's all about.

Who pays to clean up all the beads and candies left on the floor?
    I feel for who ever pays for cleanup because it is a filthy mess when the parade is over.

Olaim, please understand that buy outlawing beads and candy you are just going to upset an area that has already had it with authority and what not. It is a stupid rule and will just cause more problems because people are now going to make sure they throw stuff. It goes with the law makers who just keep passing law after law so the masses feel safe. Just keep pushing people with rules and laws until they start pushing back....What's next outlaw alcohol on opening day because there might be kids there? The smart thing to do would have been to not even bring the issue up, then people would probably still throw beads yet not as obnoxiously as it probably will be now.
    I am sorry the man is keeping you down.

besides what's with government and what not "protecting our kids" Parents should handle that job themselves. If the parents don't want the kids in the street then don't let them in the street!
    How the hell is a passed out drunk going to police his/her children? The same people will sue the UIC when little Billy/Sally gets hurt.

Change is feared.

These are the same people that scream "Say nice things about Detroit" only when convient and then go and trash Michigan Ave and piss on the parade orginizers. They are a steaming pile of hypocrites.

Your logic is flawed. How about I shoot you and the cops just shrug it off?

If you think you are opressed here in Detroit go live in Somolia for a few years and report back on how bad your life is here.

The general attitude here seems to be "Let's go fuck some shit up and then bitch about the negative stereotypes others have of Detroit".

Michigan Guest

Is this your idea of civil disobedience? Littering at a parade? Well you have appeared a little off in your posts before, but now it has been substantiated.

I wonder if these guys would litter along with you:

"This side now- Break me off a piece of that KitKat Bar!"

"Hey, we just want to litter too!"

"It was only some beads and candy!"

"Hey, the beads were made in China, what's the big deal?"

You sound like a silly person with no real moral compass or direction. It is sad to see this is the level of Detroit's citizenry. If this is where you will direct your efforts then your efforts are not only a waste, but they are in fact a detriment to Detroit.

Jeez, I knew this parade and the events got nutty but it sounds like a goddamn mess down there! I have never been and was planning on going this year because I actually have the day off....should I be worried about my pregnant wife in attendance!?

Ok, kind of joking but it sounds like the chairpersons/organizers are doing the right thing by not allowing candy and beads being thrown if people can't handle it. I mean I used to run into the road when I was 8 to go get the stray tootsie roll at a parade but now that I am 26 I generally enjoy a parade on the sidewalk viewing area.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blueidone
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoife

Way to ruin it for others if you throw beads at the parade. Bet you are the types that bitch when you get pulled over for a broken tail light, cracked windsheild, expired tag...

I have no intention of throwing any beads or anything. I bought the beads for the peole who will be marching with us to wear. The Georgia Street Community Collective group of marchers will obey all the rules. We are greatful to have been asked to participate in the parade. We simply want to dress up in party attire!

Quote Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
    About time.

Wow. Thanks for the insight into my inner workings. Actually, I am the type who has children and know how disappointed a bunch of the little attendees are going to be at not getting any sparkly necklaces. I am sorry if my spending my own money to pass [[not throw) trinkets to kids inspires you to heave out ridiculous out insults. Why not try and get a life?

Michigan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by aoife View Post
    Wow. Thanks for the insight into my inner workings. Actually, I am the type who has children and know how disappointed a bunch of the little attendees are going to be at not getting any sparkly necklaces. I am sorry if my spending my own money to pass [[not throw) trinkets to kids inspires you to heave out ridiculous out insults. Why not try and get a life?
    Your post here is disingenuous. Your initial post declared your contempt for the decision and since it followed statements by others that sounded like they would throw beads, it lead readers to think that you would be throwing beads as well. Please, re-read for yourself,
    Originally Posted by aoife
    If that was not your intention, then perhaps you should write more clearly. Toolbox's assumptions about you were correct based on the information given and the context in which it was presented.

Happy Saint Patrick's day.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast