Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    I believe Michigan Ave/14th Street is where the parade ends, the area around the old stadium at Trumbull is about mid-way on the route.
    I don't want to ruin the good spot we had last year, but the "grassy knoll" area in front of White Castles is good...especially if you have kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Philbo View Post
    I was thinking about the area of 14th and Micigan. I'm trying to avoid the street people and gang bangers.
    I'd be worried about IRA supporters. The Gaelic League is lousy with them.

They hand out beer to the race finishers....isn't that open containers??

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Well, who else is going to protect us from those damn Protestants?

I usually run in the race that day, but I'm going to miss it this year due to a slow healing hamstring tear. It's a great event and remains the only race I've ever run where they give out beer at the finish line. Even though I don't drink, I have to admit that's pretty cool.

Since the killing of the kids during Orangeman marching season several years back, no one pays these nuts any attention anymore.

Two weeks ago I was part of a very interesting conversation with a fellow who not only supports the aims, but the efforts, of the of the IRA. In fact, this guy was asking me to sign his petition to run for Wayne County Circuit Judge. Can't recall his first name, but Neville is his last name and he reported he'd be marching in the St. Patty's Parade.

A couple of tomatoes are ripening and I'm working on my aim.

On this forum I've told how I inadvertedly walked into a IRA fund raiser. While the fashionable support for the IRA has ebbed since 9/11, don't be fooled that the money funnel running from the US to Irish terror groups isn't still in operation.

And that comes from a Catholic.

Georgia Street Community Collective will be marching in the St. Patrick's Day Parade! All friends of GSCC are welcome to join us. E-mail georgiast313@yahoo.com if you are interested and we haven't contacted you yet.

See some of you there!

On this forum I've told how I inadvertedly walked into a IRA fund raiser. While the fashionable support for the IRA has ebbed since 9/11, don't be fooled that the money funnel running from the US to Irish terror groups isn't still in operation.

And that comes from a Catholic.
    I've attended this parade since the mid-80s and walked into a few of these myself. Oddly one was held at St. Andrews after the parade, which I never associated with being Catholic but protestant. What I can tell you is that many of these types have pretty much gone away. Yes you will run into the occasional one, but they are nuts. These folks have no clue that you should love your enemy and do what you can to get to truce. Come on now, how many hundred years can you fight anyways?

I'm Catholic too, I not only support you throwing tomatoes, if I see you have a few extra for me and I'll join in!

The theme for this year's parade is "One Island, One Ireland" so the whole thing is still very much in the hearts of some souls.

Default St. Patrick's Day Parade Tips

Hey Everybody,

I'm planning on going to the parade on Sunday with a group of people, but I was wondering if anybody has any tips. I've only gone once before -- last year -- and I just got there at the last minute. This time, we were thinking about getting there a little bit early and maybe bringing some chairs, a table, etc. Does anyone who's been going for a long time have any inside info? Maybe some tips on parking, where to set up, is it okay to bring chairs/tables, is it okay to have open alcohol, etc.?

Thanks in advance!

It's always good to arrive & set up early. The epicenter seems to be at Michigan/Trumbull. That's where I always go. The cops say they're gonna' crack down on open booze, so if I were you, I'd keep it low key. Put your libation in a discreet, unmarked cup or something similar. That's what I plan to do. Parking should be ok south of Michigan to Fort. From there just walk a few blocks up to the parade.

The theme for this year's parade is "One Island, One Ireland" so the whole thing is still very much in the hearts of some souls.
    Except the majority in Ulster has voted to remain part of Great Britain, which is why the IRA and other thugs resort to terrorism -- to subvert the will of the people, who spoke at the polls.

I wear orange on St. Patrick's Day.

I heard about the plan to crack down on open alcohol, too. My first thought is, they're gonna need a whole lot of cops. I'm kind of surprised, because in all the years I've been going there it's always been a good bunch of people. They're drinking, but it's unusual for fights or to break out. It's mostly littering and peeing.
    As far as parking goes, just get there early. It's a matter of availability. Or you could pack a flask in a backpack, take a bus downtown, and walk the few blocks from the new bus terminal. It's supposed to be a relatively warm day.

Default No candy or beads at Corktown St. Patrick's Parade

Whether candy and beads are passed out or not. As usual, it should be a nice event.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...trick-s-Parade

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BShea View Post
    Except the majority in Ulster has voted to remain part of Great Britain, which is why the IRA and other thugs resort to terrorism -- to subvert the will of the people, who spoke at the polls.

I wear orange on St. Patrick's Day.
    You know, my Protestant comment was a total joke, but seriously I don't know why anyone who knows/cares what those colors represent would necessarily choose green OR orange. That white stripe in the middle of the flag is supposed to represent peace. That would be my color, if I'm not wearing the race t-shirt.

It's a parade in Detroit, and it's not on St. Patrick's Day. It should just be a good time.

Jeez. And they also said no open containers. The parade marshal is really strict this year. I did some research and found this picture of him.

http://content7.flixster.com/questio...436713_std.jpg

Bring hard candy to throw AT the floats.

They cannot throw things this year, so we've GOT to help.

In related news, the parade has announced the introduction of merchandise tents, specializing in candy, beads and shea butter, every 500 feet along the event.

Also, parade chairman Michael Kelly is scheduled for surgery on Friday. The doctors hope to remove a possibly fatal stick that has been lodged into his nether regions.

looks like i'm bringing more beads and candy than ever this year! up yours kelly!

!

Oh my god, LOOK! It's a flying Mini Twix!!! AHHH!!!!

good grief.

How lame. Anyone know of a local place where I can get beads?

i would settle for 'no passed out persons laying on a pee-soaked sidewalk'.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHabitater View Post
    i would settle for 'no passed out persons laying on a pee-soaked sidewalk'.

Dare to dream.

I got beads at Michael's Craft Store, Walmart and JoAnne's crafts yesterday.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast