Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks, I've been meaning to track down the famous Bldg #10 for a few years, but never felt motivated to study that intricate map of the plant, until now.

Michigan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hornwrecker View Post
    Thanks, I've been meaning to track down the famous Bldg #10 for a few years, but never felt motivated to study that intricate map of the plant, until now.
    My point exactly. Now we have every Tom Dick and Harry knowing where the building is and planning excursions to push dump trucks out the windows! This why some info should be kept as tribal, who will police people trying to enter this place?

The city is already doing all they can do to stop scrappers, we should not be helping them in their illegal and destructive pursuits. Would you give a gun to a murderer? No? Well we are giving weapons to those who would murder the city's history here. You may not agree, but that would mean that you are wrong. These buildings need someone to take them under their wing and sheperd them into the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    Detroit has light rail- the DPM. Why not extend a line or a loop out to the Packard. Living Downtown and commuting by rail to this business incubation center would draw all sorts of people. There is a market for this type of redevelopment.
    I think the DPM is considered heavy-rail, but I could be wrong. It has grade-separation and is powered by an electrified third rail . The technology is defiantly not the same as NYC or Chicago heavy-rail. But it is almost the same as Vancouver's, as it was developed by the same corporation, Bombardier.

But I think I feel your sentiment... I want the DPM to be expanded too. I think ignoring it and writing it off as a failure/joke/POS is a mistake. The technology is amazing, and there are rarely problems such as back-ups or closures, and I'm not aware of any serious accidents. Light-rail [[what is getting built on Woodward) is powered by overhead wires and runs in the street. There are going to many problems with this that wouldn't exist with grade-separation. I'd much rather see an expanded people mover system. But I am fine with light-rail. Maybe a new DPM line could be built later, especially along the riverfront!

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
    My point exactly. Now we have every Tom Dick and Harry knowing where the building is and planning excursions to push dump trucks out the windows! This why some info should be kept as tribal, who will police people trying to enter this place?

The city is already doing all they can do to stop scrappers, we should not be helping them in their illegal and destructive pursuits. Would you give a gun to a murderer? No? Well we are giving weapons to those who would murder the city's history here. You may not agree, but that would mean that you are wrong. These buildings need someone to take them under their wing and sheperd them into the future.
    It's not like it was a big deep dark secret before. And truly, #10 is ruined anyway.

LodgeDodger Guest

LodgeDodger Guest

LodgeDodger Guest

LodgeDodger Guest

Photo is sideways.

LodgeDodger Guest

LodgeDodger Guest

LodgeDodger Guest

Stosh Guest

Nice pictures guys. Or, maybe not so nice, considering.

It's sad to see what that whole complex has become.

LodgeDodger Guest

It's an interesting place. Probably one of the busiest "ruins" I've ever visited. There was a film crew there at the same time we visited. I'm expecting to see hardly anyone, and we turn a corner and they're filming. They were pretty surprised, too. Apparently we weren't the first people to walk through while they were filming. We all laughed about how busy the place was, then went our own ways.

Looks like someone forgot to sweep up before they left.

What a disaster.

I think if you're going to try and refrain from telling people where abandoned buildings are, the better fight would be in the 'abandoned churches of Detroit' thread versus this thread. Anyone with an IQ over 70 knows where the Packard is [[if they want to know where it is).

LodgeDodger - these are amazing - especially #33 showing the truss bar. A friend of mine gave me a tour last week while I was back in town, but I didn't find any visible truss bars like this one. It's important to take documentation shots like this one, to preserve images of the building technology in use.

Stosh Guest

Photograph of a drawing of a wall section and column from Packard 10.
    It don't reproduce well here. Thanks to canuck for the great link. My God...

Attachment 5620

http://svrdam.cca.qc.ca/ZooMI/Defaul...=PH2000%3a0160
    Last edited by Stosh; March-27-10 at 12:29 PM.

Stosh Guest

Stosh Guest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2