Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

A new arena is absurd. I don't know how or why ideas like this suddenly become urgent. The Joe Louis Arena is FINE as it is. If it so happens that the Joe can no longer function, than why not renovate it to make it function. If that doesn't work, why not tear down the Joe and build a new one in the same location. There is no reason to build a new stadium at a new location. Absolutely none.

What are the costs of building a new stadium at a new location, I'll review just a few:

- further compromising the urban street grid, creating yet another superblock near Downtown, futher "fortressizing" the urban landscape and therefore making it less friendly to pedestrians

- further destroying the historic fabric of the city by demolishing historic buildings, completely removing entire streets from existance

- leaving behind yet another abandoned empty structure or leaving behind yet another empty lot

- loosing the people-mover connection to the stadium, hurting Greektown and other areas frequented by Wings fans

- expansion of demolition for surface parking lot "development" to serve the stadium

- huge $$ costs, having to aquire lots of land and buildings

- limited benifit to surrounding neighborhoods... are those costs worth the benifits, which would expect to be: increased traffic around the new location [[most likely west of Woodward north of I-75) during games and filling in the empty void on Woodward from I-75 to Temple St.

If a new stadium at a new location is indeed built, I think some of these costs can be mitigated by a) ensuring the new construction is well integrated into the urban fabric, where the street wall is restored with retail along the street. b) ensuring that there is limited demolition of historic buildings, especially for parking lot development c) ensuring that the surrounding neighborhood is compensated and that tax money flows directly into community investment

The Joe was 'built quick and dirty' to to snag the Republican convention and the Wings move in worked. I personally think the building sucks but the space was there and it was, all things considered, a cheap fix for the time.

Quote Originally Posted by raptor56 View Post
    Agree 100%. We live in the past too much around here. I sometimes think if Detroit could permanently live if the 1950's, you folks would be in eternal bliss. I would love to see a nice modern, unique hockey arena. They did it with Ford Field, why can't they do it with the new hockey rink?
    I'll skip your snobby comment about the 1950s and get right into it.

Why can't you have a modern arena that captures interesting aspects of arenas past? These factors are not mutually exclusive. And an arena that does this would certainly be unique. As it stands it seems most current NHL arenas [[meaning the newer ones) have so much sameness.

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    There have been like 100 threads on a supposed new arena for the Wings, and I have no idea why.

Illitch cannot afford to build a new arena right now, and there's no way Detroit or Michigan are going to pay for an arena right now.

Maybe in 10 years.
    He was going to build it, about 4 years ago the project absolutely was on. The downturn in the economy killed it.

Quote Originally Posted by revolutionary View Post
    A new arena is absurd. I don't know how or why ideas like this suddenly become urgent. The Joe Louis Arena is FINE as it is. If it so happens that the Joe can no longer function, than why not renovate it to make it function. If that doesn't work, why not tear down the Joe and build a new one in the same location. There is no reason to build a new stadium at a new location. Absolutely none.

What are the costs of building a new stadium at a new location, I'll review just a few:

- further compromising the urban street grid, creating yet another superblock near Downtown, futher "fortressizing" the urban landscape and therefore making it less friendly to pedestrians

- further destroying the historic fabric of the city by demolishing historic buildings, completely removing entire streets from existance

- leaving behind yet another abandoned empty structure or leaving behind yet another empty lot

- loosing the people-mover connection to the stadium, hurting Greektown and other areas frequented by Wings fans

- expansion of demolition for surface parking lot "development" to serve the stadium

- huge $$ costs, having to aquire lots of land and buildings

- limited benifit to surrounding neighborhoods... are those costs worth the benifits, which would expect to be: increased traffic around the new location [[most likely west of Woodward north of I-75) during games and filling in the empty void on Woodward from I-75 to Temple St.

If a new stadium at a new location is indeed built, I think some of these costs can be mitigated by a) ensuring the new construction is well integrated into the urban fabric, where the street wall is restored with retail along the street. b) ensuring that there is limited demolition of historic buildings, especially for parking lot development c) ensuring that the surrounding neighborhood is compensated and that tax money flows directly into community investment
    Um.... Revolutionary... when was the last time you've been in west Foxtown? Or lower Midtown? There's hardly anything left to level if a new arena was going to be built.

As far as land aquisition goes, that is up to Ilitch. He's pretty much bought up 95% of west Foxtown, and much of lower Midtown.

I can understand the superblock concern... but when you take an area that is already devoid of ALL buildings, it makes that argument less important. For me the bigger concern is that none of the Woodward Plan street layout is altered [[dating back to 1806-07), and since the arena won't be south of Adams Ave., that should not be an issue.

I think that if an arena is built in west Foxtown... the neighboring business along nearby Park Ave. will be more than compensated by the additional customers.

As for the People Mover issue... if the arena is built in west Foxtown, it will be no farther away from a people mover station [[about 2 blocks) than Comerica Park and Ford Field are. If the arena is built in Midtown, then this is a valid concern for businesses along the People Mover route that depend on game nights... although many restaurants have shuttle service.

All other issues aside, I think there can be better aesthetic and revenue-generating uses for riverfront land that a windowless concrete box, i.e. Joe Louis. Just my humble opinion.

In Port Huron, they needlessly built the waste-water treatment plant downtown along the gorgeous St. Clair River/Black River mouth -- next to the yacht club, so Detroit isn't alone in silly waterfront land moves in the past.

croweblack Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    There have been like 100 threads on a supposed new arena for the Wings, and I have no idea why.

Illitch cannot afford to build a new arena right now, and there's no way Detroit or Michigan are going to pay for an arena right now.

Maybe in 10 years.
    then what about the lease expiration this june?
    can you imagine monica conyers bitching at reps of the illitches about the sweet deal they have?

can't remember if it was city option or illitch option

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2