Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by takascar View Post
    I think the issue with the Lakepoint - Barham strangeness was that this was at one time a boundary between Detroit and Grosse Pointe [[??).
    I would find that very hard to believe; as far as I know, except for part of Grosse Pointe Woods north of Moross, Mack [[beyond which Barham does not go) has always constituted the dividing line between Grosse Pointe and Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz40 View Post
    Unfortunately, that street sign is correct, as John R. Street is the East West dividing line for Woodward Ave. north of McNichols [[or 6 Mile ).
    Problem is, the sign is located west of John R.

When they rebuilt the Moross bridge over I-94 a few years back... MDOT put up a few orange detour signs for Eastbound and Westboud I-94... as well as Northbound and Southbound Moross!

Since Moross is a continuation of [[east/west) 7 Mile Rd..... it likely got a lot of "HUH?? " responses from locals...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I've often thought South West End Street was a weird one. Here's a Google Maps street view.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&so...63.07,,0,13.42
    I noticed the bank there said the name of the bank and then "River Street Branch." Where is River Street?

I have to say, this street
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...321.9,,0,-3.82

Looks like Germany right after World War II. It's not a very clear image, though.

Some kind of old manufacturing plants, I'm guessing.

Looks like the buildings are still there in the new HD image, but it's hard to tell.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...67.48,,0,-0.63

Quote Originally Posted by LeannaM View Post
    I noticed the bank there said the name of the bank and then "River Street Branch." Where is River Street?
    River Street was Jefferson, or even possibly a street that was eventually closed to make room for Jefferson. Streets in that area had names different from what the names are now because there were two cities there prior to annexation into Detroit. Before that area was even Delray it was Belgrade. The name was changed to Delray at some point in time. Delray was annexed by Detroit i think around 1919?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I've often thought South West End Street was a weird one. Here's a Google Maps street view.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&so...63.07,,0,13.42
    Well, this street view is a goner now. You used to have a wonderfully weird drive down this short block, enclosed on both sides by two-story buildings. Now one of them is gone and the small street is blocked, filled in with broken bricks and collapsed wall. Sigh ...

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    I would find that very hard to believe; as far as I know, except for part of Grosse Pointe Woods north of Moross, Mack [[beyond which Barham does not go) has always constituted the dividing line between Grosse Pointe and Detroit.
    Ah - but thats not the case - I just found it in the subdivision list at:

http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/platmaps..._SUBINDEX=2447

It looks like it was part Gratiot and Grosse Pointe Twp's as of 1916 [[the date on the plat plan). This map it for the subdivision that I lived in. Not sure what the one closer to Barham looks like. Is there any index online that will let me see what sudivision contains Barham and Lakepointe?

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    The entire area was once Grosse Pointe Township. The area west of Cadieux and north of Mack was annexed into Detroit in 1917. The area east of that to the present border with Grosse Pointe Woods and Harper Woods was annexed in 1925 and 1926.

This is Grosse Pointe Township circa 1914:

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    I believe I heard years ago that Electric Street had an electric streetcar line that went from Detroit near Shaefer through a couple of Downriver suburbs. Maybe it had to do with Great Lakes Steel? GLS used to employ over 10,000 people many of whom lived downriver.
    The center of Electric St. was the right-of-way for the Detroit, Monroe & Toledo interurban streetcars. After the interurban went out of service in 1932 the right-of-way almost to Outer Dr. was used for Detroit streetcars until about 1949.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    The entire area was once Grosse Pointe Township. The area west of Cadieux and north of Mack was annexed into Detroit in 1917. The area east of that to the present border with Grosse Pointe Woods and Harper Woods was annexed in 1925 and 1926.
    Amazing - I never would have believed! So now in a way I guess I can say I grew up in "Grosse Pointe" [[Morang and Cadieux area) as well as having been born there [[at then-Bon Secours! )

I don't usually have much interest in events that took place prior to the year of my birth, but in this case I am definitely going to have to make an exception and research this particular topic in more detail.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4