Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Default It's Official: EPA Finds Greenhouse Gases Endanger Public Health

From Treehugger...via the EPA:

News broke earlier today that the EPA was getting ready to make its long awaited announcement—that carbon dioxide is a threat to human health. Well, the moment has come, and now it's official: the EPA has found that CO2 and six other greenhouse gases contribute to air pollution that may endanger public health and welfare. This is huge news—it will completely revolutionize the way the US views carbon emissions, and it opens the door for the government to take action against greenhouse gases. And it's perhaps the biggest victory in the fight against climate change in US politics yet.

More after the jump:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009...lic-health.php

ccbatson Guest

Yes, it is official...the Statists are seizing more power based on a lie.

is statist a new term I am missing???

Clearly as a doctor, you must know that certain chemicals and pollutants are detrimental to human health...Unless you are that big of an idiot, in which case I question your ability to adequately care for another human...

I have several questions about this.

Humans exhale CO2 with every breath. Humans constitute the public. Therefore, humans exhale a substance that is injurious to the public health. Most interesting. Does this mean that we will all have to begin wearing some sort of CO2 collection device, or be subject to penalties for discharging a hazardous substance? Or, will we now be required to pay a fee to the governement for a permit allowing our continued discharge [[or be required to stop)?

Since livestock [[mainly pigs and cattle) are estimated to 'discharge' about 30% of methane [[one of the theoretical greenhouse gases) discharged to the atmosphere, will ranchers and farmers be required to equip their livestock with methane collection diapers? Or, will they now have to pay a fee allowing that discharge [[not to mention that livestock also exhales CO2)? I presume wild animals will be excluded from regulation because that would conflict with endangered species laws.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post

Humans exhale CO2 with every breath. Humans constitute the public. Therefore, humans exhale a substance that is injurious to the public health. Most interesting. Does this mean that we will all have to begin wearing some sort of CO2 collection device, or be subject to penalties for discharging a hazardous substance? Or, will we now be required to pay a fee to the governement for a permit allowing our continued discharge [[or be required to stop)?

Since livestock [[mainly pigs and cattle) are estimated to 'discharge' about 30% of methane [[one of the theoretical greenhouse gases) discharged to the atmosphere, will ranchers and farmers be required to equip their livestock with methane collection diapers? Or, will they now have to pay a fee allowing that discharge [[not to mention that livestock also exhales CO2)? I presume wild animals will be excluded from regulation because that would conflict with endangered species laws.
    A pointless worry Jim, since humans and animals have existed for years and years. Since we aren't adding any extra CO2 to the environment unnaturally by burning carbon-based materials, nor are we removing the rain forests which have scrubbed CO2 from the atmosphere for millions of years, we have nothing to be concerned about.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post

I'm curious to know if you understand the term "concentration".

Unless, of course, you think you exhale more CO2 than a car or a factory emits.

Default Planktos

I just saw an interesting segment on the History Channel about a company called Planktos. They're experimenting with adding an iron nutrient to shrinking plankton and algae blooms in the ocean. They hope to restore the blooms which absorb CO2. If successful, they'll earn carbon credits which they can then sell to polluters for profit.