Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Oh yes we do...kept in mothballs because of radical environmentalists. The goal of these radicals is to reduce, or eliminate human existence.
    out of a litany of absurd comments you have made, bats, this one is a new topper. No one in Nevada wants them their, no one ANYWHERE wants them in their state. Some sites are in Indian territory and they sure as hell don't want them there either. it is rational, average humans, hardly radical environmentalists.
    Last edited by rb336; April-22-09 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    out of a litany of absurd comments you have made, bats, this one is a new topper. No one in Nevada wants them their, no one ANYWHERE wants them in their state. Some sites are in Indian territory and they sure as hell don't want them there either. it is rational, average humans, hardly radical environmentalists.
    Storing the stuff is not the ONLY issue. Plenty of people aren't too thrilled at the prospect of railroad cars full of the stuff rolling through their cities on their way to this mythical perfect disposal facility that everybody protests being in their state. Also, Nevada has voted Republican 7 out of the last 10 presidential elections. Damn liberals.

Nevada voted for Obama 55-43% over McCain in 2008, has 2D and 1R Representatives, and 1D and 1R Senators. Senator Ried and candidate Obama made the more convincing argument that they would protect Nevada from nuclear waste. This despte the fact that Excelon, a nuke laden utitlity, had been Obama's fourth largest congressional contributor with $269,000 of political goodwill.

Since President Obama doesn't want more coal plants built, 'clean coal' isn't here yet, wind power can't replace coal soon enough, and Obama's middle class cap and trade carbon tax will even put a 20% tax on natural gas, that leaves nuclear power. It will be marketed as sorta green energy having no carbon emmissions or taxes. With the imposition of carbon taxes, nuclear fission energy suddenly becomes 20% cheaper than natural gas and 40% cheaper than coal. Think of it; lots of union infrastructure jobs building subsidized 'green' power plants all over the country.

The waste will just have to build up in puddles and pole buildings all over the country for awhile longer.

ccbatson Guest

The greens oppose it, it will not become economically advantageous to increase nuclear power.

This is one so-called "green" who is not opposed to nukes. I happen to know many others who also share my opinion, so I guess that renders your views as false.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    This is one so-called "green" who is not opposed to nukes. I happen to know many others who also share my opinion, so I guess that renders your views as false.
    This is another one. fact remains, virtually everything is a stopgap measure. replacing all the coal fired plants with nukes would use up the available uranium in around 50-75 years. Coal is nasty stuff, uranium mining is nastier. eventually, we will need wind, solar and hydrogen to replace everything. better to start down that path now than to wait

ccbatson Guest

If you can use reason on the nuclear power issue, then you should be able to see through Al Gore's ruse with relative ease.