Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    The Dude Guest

Default FreewaySpeak

It seems when speaking "Detroitese", interstate freeways are always called by their number[[94, 75, never the Ford, Fisher, or the Chrysler) and non-interstates are called by their name[[the Lodge, the Southfield, and the Davison never M-10, 39, or 8). In Chicago, all of the expressways are interstates but always referred by name[[the Dan Ryan, the Kennedy, never 94).

... but we could never get rid of the interstate roads because they are part of the Federal system, remember? If we want to get rid of the "freeways", it would have to be something the State or the locals control; the Feds would have nothing with that based on national security.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    ... but we could never get rid of the interstate roads because they are part of the Federal system, remember? If we want to get rid of the "freeways", it would have to be something the State or the locals control; the Feds would have nothing with that based on national security.
    True, 94 was designed to connect to the Blue Water Bridge, that's why it goes all the way to Port Huron. 75 and 96 give access to the Ambassador Bridge. 75 also gives access to the Soo....These were strategic explanations [[justifications?) for those interstates in the interests of national defense.

Check out his very interesting site on removing freeways. The pictures of the Embarcadero removal in SF are especially worthwhile. http://www.preservenet.com/freeways/...Proposals.html

The Embarcadero was an ugly water front freeway replaced after the earthquake in 1989 with a beautiful blvd. Traffic flow is actually much better and it's a wonderful part of the city now.
    Last edited by tangerine; March-08-10 at 10:07 AM. Reason: forgot link

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I think many of you have forgot that freeways bring us parts to make our Mustang's, Cadillacs, Dodge Trucks, F-150's, Volts, Focuses, Mazda 6's as well as get them to markets.

Without a way to get these products to market cheaply, there ain't no Detroit.
    Makes one wonder how the auto industry was able to grow and boom during the 1910s and 1920s without the Interstates.

i lived in n.va. for a time early 90's. as a matter of fact, i lived in springfield and worked in manassas. the entirety of no.va. is a madhouse of traffic and humanity like i've never seen before. no roadways, whatsoever, are oriented N-S or E-W. even the natives navigate with road maps on there lap! given all this, i think the entire region would be in eternal 'gridlock' without the beltway.

DetroitDad Guest

Default Utilizing Freeways As Future Mass Transit Right-Of-Ways

I like this old discussion. It occurs to me that there is issues with obtaining some rail right-of-ways for higher speed passenger rail service. With some interest in dismantling freeways, and the possible decline of automobile use in America, could freeways, or portions of freeways be utilized for rail, BRT, or other mass transit uses?

It is interesting to note that Detroit's own I-94 crosstown expressway had built stations, additional lanes, and other infrastructure for a BRT line when it was constructed [[Click here for more information on the I-94 BRT line).

A central rail line, playgrounds, and parks were once planed for I-96 and other Detroit freeways. A system of tunnels and underground stations would have been used in Downtown Detroit [[Click here to read a great old DetroitYES discussion and see renderings by clicking here).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4