Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

My preference is elsewhere [[Hendrix), so for me either Bing or Cockrel would be OK. If Bing does win, the added bonus is that Cockrel goes back to being City Council President, and that nut job that replaced him will go back to being second fiddle...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    My preference is elsewhere [[Hendrix), so for me either Bing or Cockrel would be OK. If Bing does win, the added bonus is that Cockrel goes back to being City Council President, and that nut job that replaced him will go back to being second fiddle...
    Thats about how I feel as well.

Cockrel is auditioning now you kind of know what your going to get from him , Maybe Bing will get his chance to audition for the job in May and we will see how steep his learning curve will be, then hopefully the real candidate Hendrix will emerge in Nov.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Thats about how I feel as well.

Cockrel is auditioning now you kind of know what your going to get from him , Maybe Bing will get his chance to audition for the job in May and we will see how steep his learning curve will be, then hopefully the real candidate Hendrix will emerge in Nov.
    Not to sound naive...but what makes Hendrix such a great candidate?

Our government should be by, of and for the people.

Career politicians should not exist and people should not need government experience to take office.

We need people who are otherwise successful to step up.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Our government should be by, of and for the people.

Career politicians should not exist and people should not need government experience to take office.

We need people who are otherwise successful to step up.
    You actually make a profound statement, I thought term limits would be a step in the right direction but they don't seem to work.

Sometimes successful people are that way because they push the boundary of legality so those folks don't want to be vetted for public office.

It is quite the dilemma.

However this race turns out lets be grateful that we don't have the kind of choices President Obama says he gets when a decision hits his desk.

He said sometimes his decision is between bad and worst.

For that lets be thankful.!

Maybe the Free Press endorsed Bing because they want Cockrel to win. I wouldn't be surprised if some voters look at the Free Press endorsement to see who to vote against.

On a more serious note, I like Cockrel, but I am a bit concerned that his former employer isn't endorsing him.

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    Not to sound naive...but what makes Hendrix such a great candidate?

I think Hendrix has a better grasp of the executive side of city government than Cockrel and would be able to forge the relationships regionally that Detroit needs much like Archer. Hendrix is not without faults of course. He called out the cobo deal but unfortunately because of the timing it was dismissed as political one upmanship. But his criticisms were valid. And after some hemming and hawing he came out stronger than the others on my hot button issue which is the mayor takeover of the schools. Not a perfect candidate but he wouldn't hurt Detroit and I believe he could come up with some out of the box ideas to help us adjust to the fact that we aren't a city of million people and we may never see that number again so we need to do some different things to reflect that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Actually, the Council is now trying to put together a plan that calls for any Council member away from his/her seat for 6 months will have to move to last place, irregardless of their election tally. Clearly aimed at Cockrel

Actually, the Council is now trying to put together a plan that calls for any Council member away from his/her seat for 6 months will have to move to last place, irregardless of their election tally. Clearly aimed at Cockrel

That proposal won't get far. It violates section 4-103 of the City Charter.

Now, if they want to really do something, they should try to come up with rules that would prevent Council Members from constantly missing work.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    That is low. Astonishingly low.

If elected leaders do shameless things like this in the broad daylight, what are they doing behind closed doors?

voting by districts can't come soon enough !

It doesn't matter what kind of system you have if the voters keep making uninformed votes. Look at the State Legislators, Wayne County Commissioners and DPS. Those systems are by district and all we've gotten are drooling idiots like Reverend David Murray, Coleman Young Jr, Lamar Lemmons, Jewel Ware and George Cushingberry.

Don't forget, Carolyn, Kwame and Bernard Kilpatrick were all products of districts. No matter the system, we have to choose wisely.

I was hoping Mr. Henderson would come back on the board and discuss this endorsment a little more with us but I understand its difficult and he has a potential conflict of interest situation that he has to navigate as well. He did write an article about the endorsement in the Freep and as I suspected it wasn't a ringing endorsement and he left a lot of wiggle room to endorse someone else down the road.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009041...ve+endorsement