Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Retroit Guest

Eye doesn't sea what the problem iz. He be a good men and he dose a greet job. Alot of peoples in Detroit ain't no how to right, so he be a good roll model.

^ Unfunny, Retroit.

Go ahead and call me humorless. On this topic, I am. Plus, point is already made well in all but one of the preceeding 26 posts . . .

. . . particularly by Det_ard, who deploys sarcasm effectively:
    I'm going to volunteer with the Reading Corp since I want to help DPS Board members learn how to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Melocoton View Post
    I thought this part was particularly breathtaking in its condescension to Detroiters:

"I know he's a terrible writer. Oh wow, I've seen his e-mails," says Ida Byrd-Hill, a parent and activist who runs a nonprofit and is a member of Mensa, the high-IQ group. "His job, though, is to represent the community. His lack of writing skills is prevalent in the community. If anybody does, he understands the struggles of what it's like to go through an institution and not be properly prepared."

I will sort of give her the last point, about how he knows what it's like to be trapped in failing institutions. But the first part is just do dumb it's crazy. In other words, many in the community struggle with literacy issues [[given the state of the public schools, the underfunded library system, and the nation-wide trends in the wrong direction) so therefore he represents the community effectively as a semi-literate person. As someone with a dictionary could tell you, "to represent," in the sense of political representation, does not equate to "is the same as," but instead means "advocates for." Mensa my ass.
    Yu sed dat reel gud Melocoton

Mathis' bad grammar, so what! Over 30% of American people can't read and 40% of Americans can't pass mathematics. That's a theory from poor schools and poor districts.

Uneducated fools from uneducated schools.

Perhaps Mr. Mathis should be the first recipient of a reading tutor volunteer. Leading by example is the most effective expression of leadership.

This situation is pathetic, but it is not funny at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Eye doesn't sea what the problem iz. He be a good men and he dose a greet job. Alot of peoples in Detroit ain't no how to right, so he be a good roll model.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Mathis' bad grammar, so what! Over 30% of American people can't read and 40% of Americans can't pass mathematics. That's a theory from poor schools and poor districts.

Uneducated fools from uneducated schools.
    4 out of every 3 Americans are dyslexic.

DYSLEXICS UNTIE! [[Haha. Sorry. Couldn't resist. )

Retroit Guest

I'm offended by that.

Stosh Guest

4 out of every 3 Americans are dyslexic.
    Not from what I've read.
    More like 15% according to this website.
    http://www.learning-inside-out.com/d...tatistics.html

And 70-80 percent of people that have reading skill problems are actually dyslexic.

Retroit Guest

Sorry, I meant to say 100 out of every 15 Americans are dyslexic.

You've got to be shitting me.

He's the one at the helm of DPS?

Sorry, I meant to say 100 out of every 15 Americans are dyslexic.
    OK, you redeemed yourself there.

I've always thought of Wayne State as being a diploma mill for the politically connected. Anyone share that view?

Retroit Guest

...or politically neglected. One of the two.

Its just so happens that toady is netional grammer dey.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0...16.html#s72278

pix of greet sighs nd stuf

seriously, this is something I do not find funny at all ! I try to defend Detroit to people all the time, but it breaks my heart that something always comes out to prove them wrong.
    I'm sure Mathis is a good person, but he is not qualified to lead the school board much less be on it ! Wayne State is not at fault here. The article states that they held his diploma until he passed the exam.

Now I know people will no doubt play "the race card", or "don't let outsiders come in and change things" bit, but if this city is going to turn around this old way of thinking has to change !

The worst part about this is now we have this in addition to a school board member having his kids taken away and the state still won't give academic authority to Robert Bobb.

Michigan Guest

Wow, reading this has taken the wind out of my sails. Detroit is doomed if these are the people placed in positions of education leadership. Even more frightening is the fact that many people, including some on this board, think he is acceptable in that position. Hopeless, helpless, useless, worthless are all words that are being associated with Detroit and its citizenry. Sadly, they appear to be earning the approbation.

Detroit has zero chance of making any kind of comeback as long as this disgraceful "education" system remains in place. What's worse is that anyone calling attention to it is sure to be accused of racism. Not surprisingly, Robert Bobb is considered an Uncle Tom by the Old Guard. Better to wallow in self pity, crime and poverty than be held to the standards of the white man. This guy's a perfect example that you can get a decent job even if you can't read or write. Why change anything?

to think, last week Pastor Winans was on a soapbox talking about how "Detroiters deserve better !" in reference to strip clubs. Apparently he thinks Detroiters deserve this !

Bullet Guest

It is very important to our masters that the general population in this country remain uneducated and illiterate in order for them to gain and keep power. An educated population would never elect a person who has not mastered the skill to read, write, and speak the English language. It is also equally important for them to play the ‘race card’ [[where applicable) during an election to squelch criticism of the candidate, and henceforth embed the education system with a ‘role model’ of incompetence. Perhaps Mr. Mathis was moved along by his peers at DPS due to affirmative action or; was he chosen based solely on his educational prowess and employment history? I know asking critical questions of a black person are deemed racist, but who is going to suffer if we don’t ask questions? How can we overthrow any evil master if we are not able to read, write, and speak the English language, the corner stone of success?

Quote Originally Posted by showstoppa View Post
    seriously, this is something I do not find funny at all ! I try to defend Detroit to people all the time, but it breaks my heart that something always comes out to prove them wrong.
    I'm sure Mathis is a good person, but he is not qualified to lead the school board much less be on it ! Wayne State is not at fault here. The article states that they held his diploma until he passed the exam.
    I'm sorry, showstoppa, but that's NOT what the article says at all. Pay attention to this part:

Mathis and another student unsuccessfully challenged the use of an English proficiency test as a requirement for graduation. In 1992, when the case went to trial, the lawsuit gained national attention. Mathis said then his failure to pass the test "made me feel stupid." The requirement was eventually dropped in 2007, and Mathis applied to get his degree the next year, after his election.

Which means that he did NOT pass the test. He simply waited [[15 years) until they dropped the requirement, and then went back and put in the application for his degree. Since the test was no longer required, he was able to get his paper. BIG difference. He never fulfilled the requirements. In all of those years. Also note that he TRIED very had to get them to just drop the requirement altogether, even going to court over it - time and energy he could have been using to study for the test!

Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post
    I'm sorry, showstoppa, but that's NOT what the article says at all. Pay attention to this part:

Mathis and another student unsuccessfully challenged the use of an English proficiency test as a requirement for graduation. In 1992, when the case went to trial, the lawsuit gained national attention. Mathis said then his failure to pass the test "made me feel stupid." The requirement was eventually dropped in 2007, and Mathis applied to get his degree the next year, after his election.
    Which means that he did NOT pass the test. He simply waited [[15 years) until they dropped the requirement, and then went back and put in the application for his degree. Since the test was no longer required, he was able to get his paper. BIG difference. He never fulfilled the requirements. In all of those years. Also note that he TRIED very had to get them to just drop the requirement altogether, even going to court over it - time and energy he could have been using to study for the test!

I stand corrected

neighbor Guest

After thinking about this on and off today what bothers me most is that his e-mails are a Detroit hating racists wet dream.

Only people who comment on ClickOnDetroit could make up worse e-mails.

I am sure there is a learning disability at work here and I am sure it was never acknowledged in school since he was just passed along from grade to grade.

Mathis took advantage of the system that allowed him to be this ignorant. He is also very much at fault as an adult for being lazy or embarrassed and not improving his skills.

I have never heard him speak but I hope it isn't like he write.

He played the system and now he is in charge of the system. Detroit will never change as long as men like this are at the top of anything.

I heard about this column from my students. They were mortified. My students asked me if he wasn't smart enough to have someone proofread his writing. I didn't have an answer, other than "obviously not". I have been drilling it into my students' heads to always have someone proofread your work prior to having it "published". My kids were actually ashamed for him.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast