Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lionel trains

The NMRA [[National Model Railroad Association) had their national convention in Cobo back in August 2007. It was an awesome show. Lots of Canadians were on hand as well as USA collectors.

Quote Originally Posted by kahnman View Post
    Funny how no one has mentioned that depending on how old your grandfather was/is and the age of his trains and if they are in mint condition, you could be sitting on a goldmine! Don't be so quick to just set them up and run them. Do a little research to see what you have. And be careful of other collectors that offer to take your "box of old junky trains" for $50 dollars. A Hell Gate bridge can be worth $800 -$1200 dollars....
    When I worked at Carail we had 12 hellgate bridges on the standard gauge layout [[1,500 square feet). The average Joe was impressed at the sheer size of the layout, the train guys who know the hardware were blown away by the sheer number of each accessory on the layout and on display in the rooms.

Kahnman is correct, those units have increased in value, the Greenberg price guides, as well as the TM price guides are a good way to understand their value.

Well these trains arent in "mint" condition, but I would assume that this whole set would be quite valuable, I think probably all of the set was purches in the 60s I have all of the original boxes that almost all of his trains and accessories came in, however I really have no intention of selling anything.

Good thing I only have 10 min left on the net. My Dad tossed out the box for my Marx O gauge set when we moved, I put it in my car brought it over to the new house. He was impressed that I had the box for my train set. Fell like this should be on the stuff I collect thread. Alot of my stuff is hand me downs. My LIONEL stuff came from my Uncle. He was too busy to move his stuff when my Grandparents left Detroit. My other Uncle said "HOLD ON TO THESE ",So I did. Years later the original owner said " I had trainslike those when I was a kid" I said "Yeah cause they were yours".He looked at me and said " Take care of them"

This subject would have no relevance to this board, except that these old toys are inextricably bound up with my memories of downtown Detroit.

This past Christmas my Lionel No. 665 Hudson had its 50th anniversary, and it's still kicking ass. I suspect my dad had to scrimp badly to bring it home from the J. L. Hudson Co., even with his employee discount. As mentioned above by 56Packman, clean the commutator and brushes, put a little lithium grease on the gears and light oil on the driver axles, and WD-40 on anything that sticks, and it's good for another 50 years.

It was a major event in my annual calendar as a 10-year-old when Hudson's would set up their Christmas toy display in their 12th-floor auditorium. At that time, the electric trains were put on the stage. In the late 1960's, I felt very grown up when I could walk up Woodward and across Grand Circus Park to the fabulous Downtown Train and Camera Shop on West Elizabeth. That building was still standing as of a couple years ago, vacant but complete to the sign on the wall, but I wonder how long before another Ilitch redevelopment scheme claims it.

In its absence, the hobby shops mentioned above can serve as sources of help and parts. If you're trying to revive old trains, there are about a half dozen mail-order suppliers who can sell you replacements for anything that's missing, worn, or busted. Brasseur Electric Trains of Saginaw has all these parts over the counter, in a gorgeous old store in a colorful neighborhood of that city. If you still have the instruction sheets, you have the necessary part numbers. Hint: a good hardware store or electric supply house can sell you the correct fasteners and light bulbs.

I revived my old trains when my boy was little. He never had much interest in them, but I'm having more fun than ever. Now that I'm a big-time, grown-up person, it's very relaxing to let the Lionel train go around its circuit on my office floor. Let monks have their meditation labyrinths; there's something very zen about listening to the motor of my toy train hum and whirr, and hearing it rattle and clank over the crossings. Not everyone is privileged to be able to go back to their youth. Downtown Detroit of the 1960's is gone, but I can go back to this part of my childhood any time I want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2