Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: CPOP is TOAST

Warsaw, "don't know dick"? Who has bad attitude? There's no having a conversation with you. Ecstatic? Gleeful? I didn't catch that in Mauser's post. Maybe sarcasm and facetiousness. Those are all in abundance on this link What else is there to throw bombs at each other about? The weather? It's supposed to be nice tommorrow. That should get some posters, here at DY, inflamed.

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Warsaw, "don't know dick"? Who has bad attitude? There's no having a conversation with you. Ecstatic? Gleeful? I didn't catch that in Mauser's post. Maybe sarcasm and facetiousness. Those are all in abundance on this link What else is there to throw bombs at each other about? The weather? It's supposed to be nice tommorrow. That should get some posters, here at DY, inflamed.
    Nice weather? Kielson, why do you hate Detroit?

Thanks detmich. At least there's still a sense of humour here, occasionally.

Ravine Guest

I'm with Thecarl. This thread is a scream, and I don't even give a damn about any part of the subject matter. CPOP meant nothing to me, so if it's closing [[or reverting back to CKERNEL form,) I don't feel anything about that. I also have no clue who the hell Tristan [[yeah, I'm sure that's a birthname) Eaton is or what he may be currently doing, nor do I fucking care.
    In fact, other than-- maybe-- the artists themselves, pretty much everyone in the art world comes off as a snooty little poseur [[or poseusse) who light-steps around, snoofling about who and what is "important" and over-using stupid-ass terms like "informs" in spots where "influences" belongs.
    And they love to talk about "spaces." There are no more rooms, halls, or areas, don'tcha know. All we have, now, are goddam "spaces."
    These imbeciles have even invaded the field of home design, with the result being that now we have folks whimpering about how they want a nice "flow" to their living "space."
    Me, I don't want one room to "flow" into the next. Pardon my retrograde, curmudgeonly stuffiness, but I want walls, and ceilings, and old-fashioned stuff like that. I want to have a sense of where one room ends and the next one begins. Otherwise, fer chrissakes, the next thing will be that while I'm trying to listen to Miles Davis and smoke my pipe, and maybe a crossword to mess with, the sound of my wife watching "The 1200-Pound Man Gets Married" on Discovery Health Channel will be flowing into my goddam space and then I'll really start to get ornery.
    "Flow," my ass. I don't want to live in a house that practices Tai fuckin' Chi while I'm away at work.
    And don't get me started on critics, although why be mad at critics; they're just "experts" who have flim-flammed their way into getting paid for sharing their bulbously over-blown opinions, in various media [[or "mediums," for you WSU College of Education grads, out there,) on various art forms.
    You'll know the music critics; they're the ones childishly insistent on looking for "spaces" where they can repeatedly "flow" the fancy-sounding word, "ouevre," into their elegant, but dull-witted, reviews.
    Now see what you made me do? Goddamit, I was in a good mood.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Goddamit, I was in a good mood.
    Yeah, but you're not nearly as entertaining that way.

Warsaw, "he mocked the city I live in". How long have you lived in the city? What city do you live in? And last but not least, who are the owners of the city?

Ravine, your criticism of the art world is everyone's boilerplate criticism of the art world, but in some genres it doesn't really apply. The kind of art that C-Pop showed fell more into the lowbrow category. It didn't have much to do with concepts and theories that sound to most people like complete b.s., the kind of thing certain other parts of the art world seem to revel in. C-Pop showed more street art, and pop illustration, things that could better be described as "looking cool" as opposed to lengthy and tiresome artspeak. In that way the gallery was more like a store that sold funky original trinkets, and I never got the impression that there was a snobby or elitist vibe there. Some of the stuff was pricey, but compared to most galleries, a lot of their stuff was not.

Several of the artists who work in that style [[the kind of thing you see in Juxtapoz magazine) are from Detroit or live here, though apparently it's way more popular on the west coast. Detroit is a great place to make art, and a lousy place to sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    What else is there to throw bombs at each other about? The weather? It's supposed to be nice tommorrow..

I can't fault you on that......... Southgate

Ravine Guest

G-dub, as you probably figured, my post was a generalized rant intended to A) amuse the general populace of DY and B) perhaps cause a few people to feel... well, conspicuous.
    I have no gripe against CPOP, Mauser, or anyone else involved with the matter or this thread.
    Just a generally rotten temperment and a decidedly down-looking world-view.

Ravine, you wouldn't happen to be a 'curmudgeon', would you?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    G-dub, as you probably figured, my post was a generalized rant intended to A) amuse the general populace of DY and B) perhaps cause a few people to feel... well, conspicuous.
    I have no gripe against CPOP, Mauser, or anyone else involved with the matter or this thread.
    Just a generally rotten temperment and a decidedly down-looking world-view.
    Ravine, you certainly amused me today! Thanks for the entertainment.

Now, back to the rants...

Ravine Guest

1KD, apparently you did not read my post, and missed my open admission of mudgeonliness.
    Ej72 and Bear, I'm glad you two enjoyed the spray of venom. Be assured that, where that came from, there is more.
    Pop culture is the object of much of my disdain and animosity.
    I reiterate that I have no knowledge of CPOP, and that I have no opinion of, or reaction to, the prospect of their demise.

Ravine, you win all the prizes. Great posts.

I wandered in here to find out what was happening to CPOP because ten years ago that place was "cool" because I didn't know any better and because I was years away from living in the city and knowing what places were actually awesome.

I am in agreement that any business closing [[esp the small businesses) is a net loss. Yes. But, I defend a person's right to have an opinion about another person so I guess no one is really wrong here.

Though I don't know that I would have kept saying it over and over again...I mean, c'mon. We get it. You don't like them, Mauser. Ok. Let's move on...

Everybody happy! Or not...haha...

Hopefully something everyone can enjoy will move in there. Such a prime piece of real estate....makes me wish I could buy it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3