Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: CPOP is TOAST

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    No bad luck, and no giddiness over a lost gallery. I am "offputting" to you, and thats new to this thread ?

I see this as a bad thing happening to bad people.

And you have purchased how much art from these folks ? I would bet nothing.

Put the money where the mouth is, or close the mouth.
    Like I've said before, sounds like sour grapes.

LodgeDodger Guest

No bad luck, and no giddiness over a lost gallery. I am "offputting" to you, and thats new to this thread ?

I see this as a bad thing happening to bad people.

And you have purchased how much art from these folks ? I would bet nothing.

Put the money where the mouth is, or close the mouth.
    Yes, and you just happened to announce your feelings about these people to the world. I'll say whatever the hell I feel like saying.

huh ?

No vendetta, just personal dislike - which I am entitled to. And it is a fact that anything I have said here about the owners, I have said right to their faces word for word.

- Odds are you never said that to their faces. You are all talk.

Mauser, your posts here are right on the money. I'm in agreement. But posting anything that might approximate dissension, disagreement and dislike of something in and about Detroit, on this link, is tantamount to saying you hate Detroit and want it to fail. People here have been taking pot shots at me, friends and acquaintances that have expressed any kind of displeasure with Detroit, for years. I'm of the age that I've seen lots of stuff in Detroit that I love and lots of stuff that I dislike. I speak out about it. I disliked C Pop. What exactly was C Pop? Okay, I also agree it's too bad it had to close but that doesn't mean I have to compliment the place. Most of the posters taking pot shots at you, likely can't hold a candle to you in terms of years and involvement with Detroit. I know most of them can't hold a candle to the years I've spent there. Not in businesses and property ownership. Not in residency. Not in jobs and years worked. Not in hanging out. Not in taxes paid. Not in involvement and not in knowledge of the city and its history. But they'll run their mouths anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    - Odds are you never said that to their faces. You are all talk.
    Or you are wrong. Not sure why you would even say that.

If you know the owners, ask them about it. They will remember who you are asking about - immediately.

Let us just say I was quite emphatic when I said what I said.

detmich Guest

Or you are wrong. Not sure why you would even say that.

If you know the owners, ask them about it. They will remember who you are asking about - immediately.

Wow, you are so manly. Are you dating anyone?

What did you say and what was/is the issue [[other than them being from Southgate)?

This thread is just a bunch of posturing by people with no information on what the issue is.

detroitchef Guest

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    What did you say and what was/is the issue [[other than them being from Southgate)?

This thread is just a bunch of posturing by people with no information on what the issue is.
    Welcome to DYes ver 2.0 Twice the douchbaggery, half the content.
    Who gives a rats ass what Mauser is ranting about?
    So the gallery closed. Boo hoo. So Mauser is happy to see them go. Yawn. So TOAST wants to go in there. Double YAWN.

Lowell, how long do we have to put up with Mauser's passive/aggressive idiocy and rantings about New World Order paranoia? Every time someone calls him out, he turns it into a snivel-fest. Send him over to ~~~~~~~~ or something.

detroitchef Guest

I see that THE FORUM THAT SHALL NOT BE NAMED filter is still active.

Oh I'm not no saint, no I never shall be
    Til the sweet apple grows on a sour apple tree

diver1369 Guest

To get back to the topic of this thread, from my understanding Tom Thewes was trying to showcase local artists next to nationally known artists to bring exposure to both in a Detroit-style setting. I doubt the artwork ever paid the bills and it was a financial drain for all the years in was in operation. Tom was committed to having the gallery in the city and hoped to be part of it's revitalization in the Midtown area. He could just have easily stayed in Royal Oak or Ferndale and done better. He didn't play it safe. Tom and Rick Manore should be commended for their efforts and DetroitYes members should support their future ventures in the arts.

detmich Guest

Oh I'm not no saint, no I never shall be
    Til the sweet apple grows on a sour apple tree
    Macho, but in touch with your poetic side, hhhmmmmm delicious.

what an odd GroupThink thread here...I really bring out the stars !

what an odd GroupThink thread here...I really bring out the stars !

Congratulations on your successful trolling.

You know what say whatever you want to say about the place. It's your opinion and opinions are like......well you know the rest. The place is iconic and legendary, it was the first gallery who gave an amazing up and coming artist named Tristan Eaton a refuge. Needless to say we all know what he is doing now. It also housed other amazing artists, such as Niagra, who shares a spot with Tristan at the Warhol Museum, Glenn Barr, who did the background for the Ren and Stimpy show, Camillo Pardo, who did the design for the Ford GT40 as well as the owner Tom Thewes, who did the design work for the inaugural DEMF. I still have faith in it.

It also housed other amazing artists, such as Niagra [sic]
    Niagara ?

Well, now THERE is one of the best arguments against CPOP ever, thank you for your help. Niagara is such a very weak rip off, her things are not even derivative. They are just copied, in a unclever and poorly rendered manner.

And it requires an audience completely ignorant of Art History 101 to celebrate such a fraud.

Anybody ever hear of THIS GUY ?

No - he did not get his start at CPOP.

LodgeDodger Guest

Oh, and you can do better? This thread showed your hand--you must believe your photos are "gallery-worthy". When did CPOP turn you down?

detmich Guest

Niagara ?

Well, now THERE is one of the best arguments against CPOP ever, thank you for your help. Niagara is such a very weak rip off, her things are not even derivative. They are just copied, in a unclever and poorly rendered manner.

And it requires an audience completely ignorant of Art History 101 to celebrate such a fraud.

Anybody ever hear of THIS GUY ?

No - he did not get his start at CPOP.
    Damn! I didn't know that! The only thing worse would be if someone were to , I don't know, maybe take another person's photos and paste their own copyright mark on them! That is probably the ONLY thing that would be lower than derivative art!

Am I right? Folks, am i right?

.Lichenstein, really? Wow nice comparison, I mean you are exactly right, she wasn't just contracted to do the Vader Project at Warhol..... but you are right she is a complete copy cat, you got me. I am not even going to dignify myself into a debate with you.

diver1369 Guest

You're close but you're not right. There are resemblances to Roy's work in Niagara's but she is not a copycat as you imply. Roy is more cartoony/comic book than Niagara's work and he has a deeper fascination with the dynamics of the comic form than Niagara. Niagara's work is more political, editorializing the emergence of a more aggressive female from film noir/pulp fiction thru to pop art. Niagara's work is in the school of Roy but it's not a copycat of his style. Who knows how many female artists have seen Niagara's work and been inspired and emboldened to follow along a similar cultural/political vein?

Warsaw, all of the artists you mentioned were around long before CPOP. As for Tristan Eaton - we all know what? We all know who? I've never heard of Tristan Eaton. I just had conversation with a few artists that have been around for about 15- 40 years each. They couldn't answer me who Tristan Eaton is. I don't mean to say this person isn't a good artist, you just have to understand that all of this is relative. To get back to the main point I made in my defense of Mauser, I didn't like CPOP. Who cares? CPOP's closing is no loss to me personally. I don't like that CPOP is closing. But it won't affect me much at all. I don't and didn't acquire my art from CPOP. I didn't care for their shows and promotions, even the times when they had artists, whose works I've collected, were in their shows. That doesn't mean CPOP didn't have a place. I acquire[[d) my art from other galleries, some now defunct, and the artists themselves. I think the issue here is people taking pot shots at each other for past perceived insults and injuries. It seems Mauser's a target because he said something unpopular.

this is honestly one of my favorite threads in a long time.

He just completed a huge Obama campaign, he founded Thunderdog studios, no big deal right? O yeah he was also a main designer for Kid Robot. So whoever your "so called artists" are, they don't know dick.... No Mauser got attacked because he first off mocked the city I live in and second he mocked the owners....

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Warsaw, all of the artists you mentioned were around long before CPOP. As for Tristan Eaton - we all know what? We all know who? I've never heard of Tristan Eaton. I just had conversation with a few artists that have been around for about 15- 40 years each. They couldn't answer me who Tristan Eaton is. I don't mean to say this person isn't a good artist, you just have to understand that all of this is relative. To get back to the main point I made in my defense of Mauser, I didn't like CPOP. Who cares? CPOP's closing is no loss to me personally. I don't like that CPOP is closing. But it won't affect me much at all. I don't and didn't acquire my art from CPOP. I didn't care for their shows and promotions, even the times when they had artists, whose works I've collected, were in their shows. That doesn't mean CPOP didn't have a place. I acquire[[d) my art from other galleries, some now defunct, and the artists themselves. I think the issue here is people taking pot shots at each other for past perceived insults and injuries. It seems Mauser's a target because he said something unpopular.
    No Kielson, Mauser's not a target because he said something unpopular. He's a target because of his gleeful announcement of a gallery's failing.

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    No Kielson, Mauser's not a target because he said something unpopular. He's a target because of his gleeful announcement of a gallery's failing.
    LD is correct. Mauser appeared to be ecstatic that people whom he did not like had failed. He made it about himself in the first post. I stick with my first impression, I think that his photos were turned away and so now he hates them. He seems pretty easy to read.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast