Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Thread: CPOP is TOAST

Hybrid View

Actually, my friend who manages there was talking to me about this decision a few weeks back. CPOP is not going out of business, but they are closing up their physical shop. CPOP will absolutely still be around though, via the internet and what not, and they will still have a presence in Detroit's art scene. Don't worry, this isn't another loss in Detroit's chapter!

Mauser, you're funny. I couldn't have said it better.

You guys don't like hipsters drinking champagne and listening to Stun Gun?

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    You guys don't like hipsters drinking champagne and listening to Stun Gun?
    only when they're bi-curious lads who're giving beard growing the old college try.

detmich Guest

CPOP seems okay to me. I don't know why any of you would hate it so much. Closing the doors, no matter what rationalization is given, is a net loss for Detroit.

I can appreciate the humor, but it is not good news. Hipsters in downtown sure beat stay-at-homesters the burbs.

Running a gallery and just breaking even is next to impossible even in the best of times. Many have sugar daddies [I have heard that was CPOP's case] and others are run by idealists on next-to-nothing budgets in marginal locations, much like the countless storefront churches that dot the city. Together they have done much for the Detroit art scene.

It will be a loss to that nice little stretch of Woodward with the Majestic, Union Street and the Magic Stick. I can't imagine anyone continuing that space as an art gallery at the level CPOP did. But, then, who knows?

Retroit Guest

"...so they can take their hillbilly asses right back to Southgate where they came from..."

Wow.

The Spirit of Detroit lives on. The Perfection of Bigotry.