Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

It would be more healthier for the market if they did not build a new building. There is plenty of space available.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    It would be more healthier for the market if they did not build a new building. There is plenty of space available.
    While that would be the best thing if they solely needed office space, based on past comments by Dan Gilbert, he is seeking to build a multi-faceted development, which will, not coincidentally, include the Quicken compound. He has indicated he wants an entertainment based development that will attract young people to downtown, and since the development would be so big, the city had offered him 3 of the largest lots in town, the Hudson, Monroe and Statler blocks.

I have heard from a couple people, that they may be waiting until the Red Wings resolve their arena situation before any development plans are finalized. Should the Red Wings build anew, that arena would likely be behind the Fox, in which case, it would make a lot more sense for Quicken to build on the Statler site to attract more people from the arena/stadium/theater district, but without a whole lot on that side of GCP right now, it doesn't make sense for them to build now, but by waiting [[in addition to the economy), they give themselves time to see if there would be an arena built there, which would likely result in a full blown rehab of the GCP area.

If the need was solely for office space, the Comerica Tower, First National Building and 1001 Woodward would be fantastic, though Comerica and 1001 really lack accessible ground floor retail, but since he wants more, they don't really fit... He wants to make it a people friendly place so that the Quicken employees feel more comfortable downtown, as he is trying to attract them down there to be full time residents, so the multi-faceted development is more important to him, and that can't really be done with an existing building...
    Last edited by esp1986; March-02-10 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Yes, this habit of abandoning buildings is a tough one to kick!

"When Angel and Paul Price moved to downtown Detroit from Howell a few weeks ago, they wasted little time taking advantage of the city's attractions. "

"The relocation prompted the Prices to move to The Residences at the Westin Book Cadillac, which is walking distance to the new home of Quicken."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz0tlip4WuG

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalG313 View Post
    "When Angel and Paul Price moved to downtown Detroit from Howell a few weeks ago, they wasted little time taking advantage of the city's attractions. "

"The relocation prompted the Prices to move to The Residences at the Westin Book Cadillac, which is walking distance to the new home of Quicken."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz0tlip4WuG
    I admit when I read this story this morning, I was envious of the Prices. I always wanted to live downtown. I say more power to them. The fact that they are going to live in on Washington Blvd. is great. My aunt lived on WB back in the 90's Too bad Theodore's is closed. I remember stopping in for a late-night meal after bar hopping.