As a citizen of our great international city, I feel a great bond with Canada that goes beyond my Canadian grandparents and French Canadian ancestors. So I am thrilled to see the Canadian Olympic performance succeed so well [most gold medals by a country ever] especially in their home-hosted event. Gold medalist Canadian pairs skaters training in Canton with silver medalist Americans is a symbolic snapshot of our special bond.

It also gives me pause to think how blessed we in the US are to have this gentle and prosperous giant of a neighbor and how miserable our life could be if we were hostile neighbors as we see in the Balkans, the Caucasian mountains and other areas of strife. It is something that we take for granted but really never should and instead should give thanks for each and every day.

That said, and as much as I would like to see the American hockey team win a gold medal, I am hoping team Canada will prevail today to bring gold to the final crowning jewel of their successes and in their sporting gift to the world. And why not, with 'our' Steve Yzerman, hockey's greatest gentleman since Gordie Howe, behind the team and our Mike Babcock behind the bench, this will be our Detroit-Windsor win too. Go Canada!