Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

This story went out on the AP and posted on the Huffington Post about the ex-mayor

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_477967.html

I found this piece from Malik Shabazz quite hilarious.
    "When history records him, he will be considered, in spite of whatever mistakes he made, a great mayor," said community activist Malik Shabazz, who is among the Detroit admirers who stand by him.
    Sadly, delusional souls like Shabazz really believe he was great. For what?? I guess history can say Nixon was a great president now in spite of the mistakes he make.

UGH!!!! Have you guys read the Huffington Post article? It is the biggest bunch of garbage I have ever read. The article tries to paint him as having a charmed life, illustrated by how successful his rebound has been, which they attribute to his many talents. They inject race into it many times.

Here's an excerpt to give you the flavor of it:

"So far, Kilpatrick has fashioned a remarkable second act in the life of a disgraced official. It demonstrates that the talents that helped make him mayor – charm, a confidence bordering on arrogance, and the ability to inspire loyalty among friends and affluent supporters – haven't failed him...

Kilpatrick often boasted over his 6 1/2-years as mayor that he was from Detroit and the city was in him. He still has a following, despite his ouster in 2008 for lying under oath about an affair with a staff member.

A product of the mostly black, blue collar town, his mother is Democratic U.S. Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick. His father Bernard is a former county commissioner. He shares the politician's gift for speaking well and being at home in the limelight.

"He's the center of attention wherever he goes," said Janee Bradford while waxing and trimming a customer's eyebrows at Clear Salon & Spa in Detroit. She has voted for him and followed his career. "He has presence and confidence," she said.

Years after his tenure as mayor, conversation at the salon still turns to Kilpatrick, she said...

Shabazz and others believe Kilpatrick's troubles are steeped in Detroit's legacy of mistrust between whites and blacks, and blacks and the system.

In their petition to the appeals court for the hearing delay, his lawyers touched on that theme. "The town is divided, with many of the opinion that Mr. Kilpatrick is nothing more than a darker version of Bill Clinton."

Not all supporters are in the neighborhoods. Some are in the top ranks of Detroit's business community. And they have helped him land on his feet.

Manuel "Matty" Moroun, owner of the Ambassador Bridge, which spans the Detroit River between the city and Windsor, Ontario, gave Kilpatrick's wife Carlita and their children a $50,000 gift in late 2008.

Compuware Corp. chief Peter Karmanos and three other businessmen gave Kilpatrick loans totaling $240,000 shortly after his 2009 jail release. Karmanos also arranged Kilpatrick's job in Dallas as a software salesman for Compuware subsidiary Covisint, where he makes a $120,000 salary. Each was prominent in Detroit city affairs during Kilpatrick's tenure.

Some of his admirers take delight in the style and resilience he has shown, and see racial overtones in the continuing prosecutions."
    Honest to God, it's like they're trying to paint this turd red and call it a rose. Of course the HuffPost comments section has its share of those with NO CLUE about this specific case declaring that this is all about white people hating black people. I'm trying to set the record straight in their comments section but I don't know if I'm getting anywhere.

I heard that Rayford Jackson's sententcing was suspended also

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I heard that Rayford Jackson's sententcing was suspended also
    Rayford Jackson has already been sentenced, he was supposed to start that sentence yesterday. The judge postponed the start until next week. These people must lead charmed lives because if this were John Q. Public, they'd be sitting in jail long before this.

The laws don't apply to everyone the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    In their petition to the appeals court for the hearing delay, his lawyers touched on that theme. "The town is divided, with many of the opinion that Mr. Kilpatrick is nothing more than a darker version of Bill Clinton."
    Is that out of context or something? If you like Bill Clinton, its an undeserved compliment. If you dislike, Clinton, its still a very low blow to our former President. To me, it sounds more like delusions of grandeur in a document so full of BS that the vast majority of the appellate court opinion was dedicated to how incompentently it was written. If it narrowly refers to a politician that lies about an affair they later admit to, like pulling a Munson or something, its a statement of fact as much as saying the sky is blue.

Not all supporters are in the neighborhoods. Some are in the top ranks of Detroit's business community. And they have helped him land on his feet.
    Because they gave him money? Business leaders also gave Al Capone money. Seeing how Kwame has a criminal record and is famous for his attempts to circumvent the courts, I'd compare him to Capone before I'd compare him to Clinton. And just like Capone, I hope he goes to jail, goes insane, and finally dies from the syphillus he got from one of his dirty whores. Live like a sociopath gangsta, die like a sociopath gangsta.

manuel "matty" moroun, owner of the ambassador bridge, which spans the detroit river between the city and windsor, ontario, gave kilpatrick's wife carlita and their children a $50,000 gift in late 2008.

Compuware corp. Chief peter karmanos and three other businessmen gave kilpatrick loans totaling $240,000 shortly after his 2009 jail release. Karmanos also arranged kilpatrick's job in dallas as a software salesman for compuware subsidiary covisint, where he makes a $120,000 salary. Each was prominent in detroit city affairs during kilpatrick's tenure.
    * p - a - y - o - l - a *
    Last edited by Meddle; February-27-10 at 01:33 AM.

One thing that made me think about his lawyers argument for KK living up the lavish life--

What is the income level that one has to attain in order to be considered for this lifestyle? Is it making $100K a year? Is it $125K? What's the magical number that one has to make in salary to be given this special accommodation by the court?

Conversely, is there an amount that one makes and be considered less in the eyes of the court?

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Rayford Jackson has already been sentenced, he was supposed to start that sentence yesterday. The judge postponed the start until next week. These people must lead charmed lives because if this were John Q. Public, they'd be sitting in jail long before this.

The laws don't apply to everyone the same way.
    That's for sure! I am so tired of these "privileged" people getting away with this kind of thing. I have totally lost faith in the entire political process, not only here but in the entire country. Very few seem to have any integrity at all, none of them seem to really care about the people who elected them. They all seem to be there for personal gain and no other reason.

I have been an elected official...on a much smaller scale, of course. And some of my decisions in that capacity were not popular, but they were the best for the people I served as a whole, not for a certain group of individuals. I based my decisions on that, using as many professional opinions as I could, educating myself on the issues and learning to budget wisely. But, just as happens in other political arenas, the people who did not have integrity and were in it only for personal gain won out. I had to give up the battle to save my own health and then leave the area in which I served for many years to keep from watching the decline of what I had worked so hard to build. I understand now why "real" people, who care and try to make it right, cannot survive in that kind of circumstance.

If I extorted money from people, however and whenever, and got caught, I would expect to go to prison and have to pay back every cent I could pay for the rest of my life. But the career politicians sure don't seem to suffer much of any consequences for their thievery.

Sad state of affairs, it is....

Yeah, perhaps he's "their" boy too in addition to "yall's boy"! In any event it is easy for Huff to put a nice "spin" on this... they are not enduring the consequences. Like most from that perspective it's sorta novel and "rah-rah!" to the "anti-hero" of the day so long as he's from the endorsed politic. Yeah right.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, we Detroiter's deal with it...
    UGH!!!! Have you guys read the Huffington Post article? It is the biggest bunch of garbage I have ever read. The article tries to paint him as having a charmed life, illustrated by how successful his rebound has been, which they attribute to his many talents. They inject race into it many times.

Here's an excerpt to give you the flavor of it:
    "So far, Kilpatrick has fashioned a remarkable second act in the life of a disgraced official. It demonstrates that the talents that helped make him mayor – charm, a confidence bordering on arrogance, and the ability to inspire loyalty among friends and affluent supporters – haven't failed him...

Kilpatrick often boasted over his 6 1/2-years as mayor that he was from Detroit and the city was in him. He still has a following, despite his ouster in 2008 for lying under oath about an affair with a staff member.

A product of the mostly black, blue collar town, his mother is Democratic U.S. Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick. His father Bernard is a former county commissioner. He shares the politician's gift for speaking well and being at home in the limelight.

"He's the center of attention wherever he goes," said Janee Bradford while waxing and trimming a customer's eyebrows at Clear Salon & Spa in Detroit. She has voted for him and followed his career. "He has presence and confidence," she said.

Years after his tenure as mayor, conversation at the salon still turns to Kilpatrick, she said...

Shabazz and others believe Kilpatrick's troubles are steeped in Detroit's legacy of mistrust between whites and blacks, and blacks and the system.

Manuel "Matty" Moroun, owner of the Ambassador Bridge, which spans the Detroit River between the city and Windsor, Ontario, gave Kilpatrick's wife Carlita and their children a $50,000 gift in late 2008.

Compuware Corp. chief Peter Karmanos and three other businessmen gave Kilpatrick loans totaling $240,000 shortly after his 2009 jail release. Karmanos also arranged Kilpatrick's job in Dallas as a software salesman for Compuware subsidiary Covisint, where he makes a $120,000 salary. Each was prominent in Detroit city affairs during Kilpatrick's tenure.

Some of his admirers take delight in the style and resilience he has shown, and see racial overtones in the continuing prosecutions."
    Honest to God, it's like they're trying to paint this turd red and call it a rose. Of course the HuffPost comments section has its share of those with NO CLUE about this specific case declaring that this is all about white people hating black people. I'm trying to set the record straight in their comments section but I don't know if I'm getting anywhere.

Just want to address the "wife's" assets, monies from Maroun. The following info comes from government guaranteed lending in the businesss arena. One of the requirments to qualify has to do with available liquid personal assets available to be used as part of the individual's investment into the business. Assuming the husband is the business owner, the liquid assets of the wife must be disclosed. [[there are some situations where liquid assets of minor children living in the home are also included) While the government cannot require that her assets be invested, they assume they are available and are used in the computation of how much must be invested into the business by the individual owner. If unable to meet that requirment because the wife is not willing to participate, then the loan will not be granted. Sounds a bit strange but is there to stop diverting assets to another family member. So not strange that the judge is considering those funds as part of what's available for restituion. What I am surprised at is the prosecutors did not ask for any accounts that are in the names of the kids. Maybe they did, there were none, and so we heard nothing about it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3