Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I can understand when a tree reaches the power lines, but we are not talking about regular Edison power lines. We are talking about the high towers carrying mega power. Some of the trees ITC are cutting down would never come close to reaching thier power lines, but they are removing all trees whether they are only 4 feet tall or 20 feet tall.

Seems harsh but it actually helps create biodiversity while protecting the infrastructure.

http://joa.isa-arbor.com/request.asp...ID=3023&Type=2

http://www.dowagro.com/PublishedLite...romPage=GetDoc

From ITC's website:

The Zero-Outage Standard

In an effort to ensure reliability and protect communities from outages like the Blackout of 2003, the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission [[FERC) and the North American Electric Reliability Corporation [[NERC) have promulgated stringent standards governing how utility companies operate their transmission grids. These standards cover a broad range of topics including vegetation management. The federal mandate for vegetation management is firm: Utility companies must eliminate the occurrence of power outages caused by vegetation interference in power lines. Failure to meet this zero-outage mandate on regulated lines can result in fines of up to $1 million per day.

ITC’s Vegetation Management Approach

In order to meet the new zero-outage mandate, ITC determined it must implement a vegetation management approach in accordance with the following:

Within the Wire Zone: Trees growing within the wire zone [[the area under and 10 feet outside the wires) shall be targeted for removal with priority emphasis given to incompatible tall growing species. Where we lack removal rights in the wire zone or permission is not obtained, trees shall be pruned to the maximum allowable height directing growth laterally away from wires.

Outside the Wire Zone, but Within ITC Rights-of-Way: Trees growing outside the wire zone, but within ITC Rights-of-Way, will be targeted for removal, where necessary to maintain safety and reliability, with priority emphasis given to incompatible tall growing species. Where we lack tree removal rights within the Rights-of-Way, or where permission is not obtained, trees shall be pruned to the maximum allowable height.

Adjacent to ITC Rights-of-Way: Trees growing outside and adjacent to ITC Rights-of-Way, and posing a safety or reliability threat, will be pruned to the edge of our Rights-of-Way. Permission will be sought from the affected property owner to remove or prune the tree outside of the ITC Rights-of-Way.

Attachment 5262

DetroitDad Guest

Anyone can show me all the econometrics and statistics they want, I grew up in communities with above ground wires, and know many people who still live there, and power outages are a relatively regular occurrence there. On the other hand, I've lived near city centers in areas with buried lines for something like five years now, and have yet to experience a power outage without a week's notice [[construction).

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Anyone can show me all the econometrics and statistics they want, I grew up in communities with above ground wires, and know many people who still live there, and power outages are a relatively regular occurrence there. On the other hand, I've lived near city centers in areas with buried lines for something like five years now, and have yet to experience a power outage without a week's notice [[construction).
    My power lines are overhead, but go underground from the pole to my house. I have lived here for nine years and three times there was a problem at the underground junction of the power company's line and the line into my house caused by ground water.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Anyone can show me all the econometrics and statistics they want...
    And you could tell me otherwise, but I'd bet you would be the first to start a thread complaining about your electric bill quadrupling. Placing transmission lines underground isn't sustainable.

but they are removing all trees whether they are only 4 feet tall or 20 feet tall.
    Those may not causee the initial outage, but they can hamper restoration efforts if they obstruct trucks and crews.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2