Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: race- maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Why do black people have to be responsible to every single other black person? I don't get it. Other people are looked at and responsible to themselves and their families. Black people are the only ones who get lumped in as one group.

Why did the black middle class have an extra responsibility to stay in Detroit, but other middle classes of other races could move anywhere they wanted? Are you saying that black people are less free to choose their lifestyle?

Why does race have to be the reason why people choose to associate with each other? Maybe black middle class people feel that they have more in common with middle class people of any race than with poor people. No one asks the white middle class to live in trailer parks or berates them for not doing so.

As for what your friend said about black people, I hear horrible things about white people every day. Even if others say them, I choose not to pass them on, and I berate those who say things like that. But then again, I'm a lady and I was raised to have manners. What did you say when your friend said that? I hope you told him that his words were offensive and inaccurate.

Final word: If all black people have to be responsible for the actions of all other black people, then all white people have to be responsible for racism.

Both premises are absolutely ridiculous.
    You have to remember; you go to a majority white school, you will likely work for a white company, you probably will live in a safe majority white neighborhood so let us not discount all whites as being racist or blame all whites for racsim. Could you blame racism or whites for former Mayor Kilpatrick giving most of the city contracts to his buddy Fergerson? Could you blame racsim for the dope dealer on Detroit's street or the gang called the Stomp Out Kings attacking elderly men? Come on. Let us have a reasonable discussion and not say anything unsensible just to vent frustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Good point. Why is it unacceptable for blacks to be treated as "second class citizens" by whites, but when blacks are treated as "second class citizens" by blacks, they acquiesce?
    This is the million dollar question, Retroit.

I think the best explanations of the phenomenon come from Freire's *Pedagogy of the Oppressed* [[the oppressed becoming "sub-oppressors") and Woodson's *The Miseducation the the Negro* [[f you can make a man believe that he is inferior, you don’t have to compel him to seek an inferior status, he will do so without being told...). There's also some great, more recent work in social psychology and trauma studies.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Sorry for your stress. Especially trying to acheive your Phd. Tackle that which cause your stress. It doesnt change my stance on this topic. It was said that black leaders inherited Detroit and it's downfall left by fleeing whites and corporations. I say that blacks at times take charge of a sinking ship when nobody else want to stay on board. While the useless ship sank deeper and deeper in the ocean the black captain will say "I inherited this sinking ship". No you idiot you took over a sinking ship hoping that you could make it sail.
    My post that you've responded to was clearly directed towards Hermod, not towards you. So I'm not getting your response.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Come on. Let us have a reasonable discussion and not say anything unsensible just to vent frustrations
    I don't see where further exchange would be productive, stasu1213. We are obviously too polarized in our life experiences and points of view. I'm not finding your posts enlightening, but shrill and not very coherent. I'd like to understand your point of view, but you're not making that easy, and you're right, I am busy. This conversation has run its course.

To everyone else...

So I've learned a lot over the past few days about what some people in this region think about race. I'm glad that I posted, and although I may disagree with some of the posts here, I think that the conversation has been productive. I'm just happy that it didn't degenerate into flame throwing and name calling. In the 7 years that I've been on DYes, I've definitely seen that happen. Good for the forum. This region is growing up, and I remain very hopeful.

For the sake of time, I think I'll exit this thread and let it run its course -- anyone can feel free to PM me with their thoughts, concerns, and bones to pick.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    My post that you've responded to was clearly directed towards Hermod, not towards you. So I'm not getting your response.

I don't see where further exchange would be productive, stasu1213. We are obviously too polarized in our life experiences and points of view. I'm not finding your posts enlightening, but shrill and not very coherent. I'd like to understand your point of view, but you're not making that easy, and you're right, I am busy. This conversation has run its course.

To everyone else...

So I've learned a lot over the past few days about what some people in this region think about race. I'm glad that I posted, and although I may disagree with some of the posts here, I think that the conversation has been productive. I'm just happy that it didn't degenerate into flame throwing and name calling. In the 7 years that I've been on DYes, I've definitely seen that happen. Good for the forum. This region is growing up, and I remain very hopeful.

For the sake of time, I think I'll exit this thread and let it run its course -- anyone can feel free to PM me with their thoughts, concerns, and bones to pick.
    Stay off the thread if you dont want any response. Get some common sense.

Stasu, I agree with you totally. My dad still lives on the eastside, near State Fair/Kelly. He can't really move because he can't afford to, he can't sell his house, etc. I worry about him getting broken into, getting jacked when he has to get gas, or go to the store. He does too. You don't have to be an academic and give a dissertation on social situations to know what's going on. Shit's F-ed up. Plain and simple. I know crime can happen anywhere- city or small town. Where is it more " likely" to happen? I have yet to hear anyone acknowledge any kind of cultural responsibility for this failure on this thread. The dysfunction has to be fixed first- otherwise, nothing will ever change. I [[ and many others) really believe this is what's happening. That's the reality.

In the words of Eleanor Roosevelt, "In the long run, we shape our lives, and we shape ourselves. The process never ends until we die. And the choices we make are ultimately our own responsibility".

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6