Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    You don't even know if the Conservatory is open or not and yet you offer a detailed description of the current state of Belle Isle as though you actually have some clue what you're talking about? I have no idea how to respond to this post. I'll get back to you when my head is done exploding.
    Let's put it this way. I lived in the Detroit area for the first forty years of my life, and I have NEVER seen anything there improve - only decline. If someone can prove me wrong, feel free and have at it. But until proven wrong, I feel reasonably safe in assuming that the current state of Belle Isle is at the very least no better than what it was as of the time I left.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    Let's put it this way. I lived in the Detroit area for the first forty years of my life, and I have NEVER seen anything there improve - only decline. If someone can prove me wrong, feel free and have at it. But until proven wrong, I feel reasonably safe in assuming that the current state of Belle Isle is at the very least no better than what it was as of the time I left.
    So you don't know what you're talking about. Why post then? What benefit could possibly be derived, by you or anyone else, from increasing the amount of confidently-spouted ignorance found on this board? I truly do not understand.

EMG, while my head is also exploding from your out-of-date "knowledge", I will try to respond.

The Conservatory is as always, open 10-5 everyday. And beautiful. While there are some areas of the island with litter problems, it has been improving, as have the restrooms. If you would like to PM me, I would be happy to give you access to my photo album of pictures from Belle Isle...hundreds of them over the past few months, all over the island....with no litter in sight. The Sunset Point end of the island has had substantial infrastructure improvements. On my regular dog walks and bike rides there, I see the same things happening that I see at Kensington and Stoney Creek.. good and bad.

I am not sure if I am for or against the HCMA taking over Belle Isle. I am definitely willing to purchase an annual pass to use Belle Isle, no matter who is managing it.

It would be great if you would visit Belle Isle or at least do a little homework before you knock it.

Sorry for thread jacking- got so mad I forgot this a State Fair thread.
    Last edited by ggcanfield; February-21-10 at 08:41 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by ggcanfield View Post
    Sorry for thread jacking- got so mad I forgot this a State Fair thread.
    I don't think most people minded your comments. I love a good defense of Belle Isle, which remains one of my favorite places in the City.

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sam View Post
    I don't think most people minded your comments. I love a good defense of Belle Isle, which remains one of my favorite places in the City.
    In fairness to EMG, Belle Isle is a shadow of what it once was.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    That's true. My parents were taking me to Belle Isle over 40 years ago, so I am aware of what it was and what it is today. And I feel I can speak on it because I visit the Island regularly. I think people were objecting to EMG because he was attempting to speak with authority about a place he apparently hasn't been to in years.

Hermod, you make an interesting point. In fairness to Belle Isle, the metroparks are only a shadow of what Belle Isle was and could be again, if only we could figure out how to do it and actually make it happen. I wish I had the answers. Both functional mass transit and Belle Isle restored to its former glory [[like Central Park under the Conservancy) would be considerable assets in rebuilding the city.

What are the pros and cons of Belle Isle as a metropark as compared to being ran by a conservatory?

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    What are the pros and cons of Belle Isle as a metropark as compared to being ran by a conservatory?
    I'd go for either compared to status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by ggcanfield View Post
    EMG, while my head is also exploding from your out-of-date "knowledge", I will try to respond.

The Conservatory is as always, open 10-5 everyday. And beautiful. While there are some areas of the island with litter problems, it has been improving, as have the restrooms. If you would like to PM me, I would be happy to give you access to my photo album of pictures from Belle Isle...hundreds of them over the past few months, all over the island....with no litter in sight. The Sunset Point end of the island has had substantial infrastructure improvements. On my regular dog walks and bike rides there, I see the same things happening that I see at Kensington and Stoney Creek.. good and bad.

I am not sure if I am for or against the HCMA taking over Belle Isle. I am definitely willing to purchase an annual pass to use Belle Isle, no matter who is managing it.

It would be great if you would visit Belle Isle or at least do a little homework before you knock it.
    Good, I stand corrected - that is why I qualify my statements and disclose my history of absence. And I'm glad to hear that the Conservatory is still alive and well - I did greatly enjoy visiting it when I was still there and it was my favorite [[and as of the time I left the only) remaining aspect of the Belle Isle I knew as a child. Thanks for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Right!.......

This is probably the best why for the State Fair to come back, not as a city/state property.

I am always for the creation of a new park, I can't imagine any significant natural spaces in that complex, but a rgional park created from an old facility is sort of an appealing idea. maybe next Fort Wayne State Park?

There is some amount of MI history at the state fairgrounds and to me this does not sound like a bad idea. It would also mean more year-round attendance which would not be bad for that area.

Re: Could the Michigan State Fair Rise again ---I certainly hope so! I was shocked when I heard last year may be the last year. Going to the State Fair has been an annual tradition with my family for my entire 50+ years. It was had it's up and downs, but in the past 10 years, it has been Safe, Clean and enjoyable. Where can city kids see farm life - animal being born - parades and free concerts -all within walking distance or a short bus ride from home? As a family, we'd all plan on what we would enter into the State Fair Community Arts ribbon competition. From crafts to baked goods, it was always one of the highlights of the fair to hurry to see our entries on display. The State Fair employees/volunteers were always friendly and helpful. The region has little - if any - 100 year old traditions that continue till this day - it would be a wonderful present to the city and surrounding communities to ensure that the Michigan State Fair continues it's historic presence.

I think that Belle Isle should be spun off into some kind of independent non-profit group, to maintain and control any upgrades.. get competent people to run it, and things can improve there.. get it out of the hands of myopic career urban bureaucrats who implicitly see all arms of detroit city government as "black owned businesses" by cultural default, and so issues concerning improvement and stopping corruption inevitably have a racialized spin..
    Last edited by Hypestyles; March-04-10 at 11:22 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2