Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Congrats, English, we need your skills ...

YAY for you! You're coming back to Detroit, MI. while most people are moving out. May your job as a educational instructor in WSU be a blessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
    You do know Agave has been closed for many years?
    Um, yes.

Street crime was up in the corridor around the bars recently.
    Not surprised. The economy is awful and drives desperation.

English, some people may be naysayers, but what is most important is that you are happy. And you seem very happy coming back to Detroit!

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    See my post from last month about the landlord who shifted my lease a couple of years ago. I was going to do month to month this year, but my roommate convinced me that we could get a sublettor. The reason I initially agreed was because month to month is extremely expensive in this development. There are other reasons why my initial landlady was insane, and they fired her. The description of "awful" is well deserved.
    Sounds like "landlord's agent" rather than "landlord". Subletting is often fraught with pitfalls [[does your lease allow it?).

My advice still stands. Get the feel of the real estate and areas around WSU before making any commitment. Commute until your lease is almost finished, then eat the rest [[if you found your dream house/condo).

Read your lease carefully. You might have to give 30-60 days notice of intent not to renew or pay a penalty. Sometimes leases carry an automatic renewal clause if notice is not given.

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    English, some people may be naysayers, but what is most important is that you are happy. And you seem very happy coming back to Detroit!
    Well, I acknowledge it's a huge gamble when one considers the short term. But I'm only in my very early 30s, in a family that usually lives until their 80s. Barring anything unforeseen, with a 30-35 year career ahead of me that's beginning in 2010, I've got from now until 2040 to actively invest in this city and perhaps see a return on that investment.

Whatever else might be said about Detroit, we know it will be nothing like it is now in the 2040s. Chances are that it could be even worse than now, but it's a gamble that I think has EXTREMELY good odds for a number of reasons. It would really fun to be part of the rebuilding of 21st century Detroit.
    Last edited by English; February-19-10 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Sounds like "landlord's agent" rather than "landlord". Subletting is often fraught with pitfalls [[does your lease allow it?).

My advice still stands. Get the feel of the real estate and areas around WSU before making any commitment. Commute until your lease is almost finished, then eat the rest [[if you found your dream house/condo).

Read your lease carefully. You might have to give 30-60 days notice of intent not to renew or pay a penalty. Sometimes leases carry an automatic renewal clause if notice is not given.
    My roommate is a frugal professional who works in Ann Arbor, and her job is secure. She will renew the lease for 2011 with or without me. We'd just switch places as primary leaseholder. We've already talked about this with our new, improved management team.

I just have to figure out whether I'm willing to commute for the first semester or year in order to keep paying cheap grad student rent for a while on my new salary. I need to budget carefully and figure out if the commute is far too expensive to make it worth it. If I keep living like a grad student for the first semester or year, I think it'll be worth it. But I'd need to calculate how expensive a 90 minute daily round trip will be. I'm not sure whether it's worth it, and there's the stress cost as well. I've NEVER commuted more than 15 minutes to work, and I don't like SE Michigan ---holes in traffic.

I don't believe in long commutes, which is why I moved up here in the first place. But I'm in a different financial place than I was 5 years ago. Back then, I was coming off a much higher salary and adjusting to a lower COL. This year, I'd really, really like the opportunity to get my financial house in order and rebuild my savings before I buy something, and that might take a year or two. My credit is excellent, but my assets aren't [[which is to be expected at the end of the doctorate -- I ate my savings while I was in school).

Also, as someone said upthread, it will be critical for me to figure out where I'd like to live. Most of the WSU profs I've met live in the 'burbs. If this were 10 years ago, the choice would be easy, but now I have to figure out what I can afford, where I can afford it, and what would be the best longterm investment.

But I'd need to calculate how expensive a 90 minute daily round trip will be. I'm not sure whether it's worth it, and there's the stress cost as well. I've NEVER commuted more than 15 minutes to work, and I don't like SE Michigan ---holes in traffic.
    SE Michigan drivers are real sweethearts. Try commuting up I-95 in the Virginia burbs of Washington, DC or just getting on the road here in SE Florida where assholery is an art form.

I would love to deal with Michigan traffic again.

EDIT to add: I did a lot of business traveling 1969-1994 all over the US. Midwestern and Texas drivers are pretty nice. The absolute worst drivers that I ever encountered were in Boston, New Jersey, and DC. Now that I live in SE Florida, I have to add them. I think it is probably that most transplants to SE FL come from the northeast. SW Florida drivers are OK [[Ft Myers) as they seem to come more from the midwest.
    Last edited by Hermod; February-19-10 at 11:50 AM.

Congratulations on your several offers.

That's great to hear, English.

Subleasing in Ann Arbor, I found, is extremely easy. Get on craigslist etc. There's a lot of people going there on short-term business like summer semesters and guest professors, so you'll find someone. Just make sure your landlord is apprised.

I found the Cass to Woodward blocks of Ferry and Palmer so appealing when I almost went back to Wayne for law school. I'd totally head to that section if I was in your position. But, of course, lean on the current residents' advice.

Congrats and welcome back to WSU. I'm also a professor here [[at the med school.)

Well, I acknowledge it's a huge gamble when one considers the short term. But I'm only in my very early 30s, in a family that usually lives until their 80s. Barring anything unforeseen, with a 30-35 year career ahead of me that's beginning in 2010, I've got from now until 2040 to actively invest in this city and perhaps see a return on that investment.

Whatever else might be said about Detroit, we know it will be nothing like it is now in the 2040s. Chances are that it could be even worse than now, but it's a gamble that I think has EXTREMELY good odds for a number of reasons. It would really fun to be part of the rebuilding of 21st century Detroit.
    I think you are thinking very reasonably. You are right. An investment in Detroit is risky, precisely for the reason you stated. Detroit could be worse in thirty years. Detroit [[or at least certain parts of it) could also be much better. But as long as you are up for the challenges that come along with it, you should be in store for an interesting time, regardless.

BTW, if you have time I would like to ask you a few questions re: your graduate school experience. I will send you a PM.

Congratulations!

I know you are very familiar with Detroit, but I will nonetheless give you the standard advice that it makes sense to rent for at least a little while until you have gotten your bearings and can make a considered decision.

The other thing you might want to consider is that sometimes you find that you aren't a good match with your department and you need to go someplace else. There is an old saw that campus politics are so vicious because the stakes are so low. Even though I am sure you are excited about your new position [[and you should be), how you are going to fit in is something that is really hard to know until you have been on the inside for a bit, and dealing with work problems is a lot easier and less stressful if you don't have the additional factor of a house complicating your decisions.

But I hope that nothing like that happens, and you are happy and well-accomodated in Detroit for a long time! I'm sure you will be an asset to whatever neighborhood you end up in.

Since it was announced at yesterday's faculty meeting, the ink is drying on the contract, and news travels fast...

A couple of weeks ago, I accepted a faculty position in the College of Education at Wayne State University. It was the best offer among several, with great colleagues in the department, generous start-up, and lots of opportunities. Although my position is effective starting the 2010-2011 school year, I'll be setting up my office and starting work during the spring/summer semester. I couldn't be more pleased.

I'm really looking forward to getting back into the fray after 5 years in Ann Arbor earning my Ph.D, and mucking about in the Detroit education and youth community organizing scene once again. .

Lots of logistical questions follow:

1) Thanks to one of the awful landlords A2 is famous for, my lease isn't up in Tree Town until December. Should I look into renting/buying something MUCH closer to campus this summer or fall, and moving early? [[But then, I'd have to sublease my place up here, or take a financial hit, paying for a place I no longer live in.) Wait until next summer, and save up a nicer down payment?

2) If I stay, I'll have to commute. Established car and vanpools won't work for the university schedule, where I'd be working 10 to 6, or noon until 9. And I shudder, absolutely shudder thinking about commuting up and down I-94 until next spring.

I'd also love to know how living in Midtown has changed over the last five years. One thing that was true about the 2000-2004 period in WSU/Midtown/North Cass Corridor was that I felt absolutely safe living, working, and going to school there as a single woman in my 20s, and never experienced any personal or property crime there whatsoever. During daylight hours, I felt just fine walking alone as far north as I-94, and as far south as Alexandrine. In the evenings, I hung out with friends [[and some of you) at Cass Cafe, the Majestic, Traffic Jam, Union Street [[best Friday happy hour in Midtown in the early 00s if you ask me), and of course the watering hole next door to my old grad/professional student stomping grounds, Agave. University Foods was just fine for grocery staples, and if I needed more, I usually hopped on a freeway. What's the scene like now?

Excited to share the news with you! Take care...
    Great to welcome you home. It's so refreshing to hear people excited to move INto the city instead of people excited to move OUT of it.

Thanks, everyone, for the advice and well-wishes! I'll let this thread drop down the page, and in the meantime, if any of you know of credible folks who are developing/renting places in and/or around Detroit that might be interesting, definitely let me know.
    Last edited by English; February-19-10 at 09:20 PM.

DetroitDad Guest

Since it was announced at yesterday's faculty meeting, the ink is drying on the contract, and news travels fast...

A couple of weeks ago, I accepted a faculty position in the College of Education at Wayne State University. It was the best offer among several, with great colleagues in the department, generous start-up, and lots of opportunities. Although my position is effective starting the 2010-2011 school year, I'll be setting up my office and starting work during the spring/summer semester. I couldn't be more pleased.

I'm really looking forward to getting back into the fray after 5 years in Ann Arbor earning my Ph.D, and mucking about in the Detroit education and youth community organizing scene once again. .

Lots of logistical questions follow:

1) Thanks to one of the awful landlords A2 is famous for, my lease isn't up in Tree Town until December. Should I look into renting/buying something MUCH closer to campus this summer or fall, and moving early? [[But then, I'd have to sublease my place up here, or take a financial hit, paying for a place I no longer live in.) Wait until next summer, and save up a nicer down payment?

2) If I stay, I'll have to commute. Established car and vanpools won't work for the university schedule, where I'd be working 10 to 6, or noon until 9. And I shudder, absolutely shudder thinking about commuting up and down I-94 until next spring.

I'd also love to know how living in Midtown has changed over the last five years. One thing that was true about the 2000-2004 period in WSU/Midtown/North Cass Corridor was that I felt absolutely safe living, working, and going to school there as a single woman in my 20s, and never experienced any personal or property crime there whatsoever. During daylight hours, I felt just fine walking alone as far north as I-94, and as far south as Alexandrine. In the evenings, I hung out with friends [[and some of you) at Cass Cafe, the Majestic, Traffic Jam, Union Street [[best Friday happy hour in Midtown in the early 00s if you ask me), and of course the watering hole next door to my old grad/professional student stomping grounds, Agave. University Foods was just fine for grocery staples, and if I needed more, I usually hopped on a freeway. What's the scene like now?

Excited to share the news with you! Take care...
    WELCOME BACK!

I don't know if you'll have any choice other than I-94. I did just work with someone doing that commute at my work on an internship, she gave it up for [[I think) the commute. Good luck with that.

Midtown has improved immensely, I didn't get a chance to read all the other replies to your thread, but there is lots of new developments up and down Woodward, in the Brush Park area, Wayne State area, and the DMC/cultural area. Woodbridge, nearby has also come a long way. There are some nice new or improved buildings Downtown as well.

>>>>>>>I don't know if you'll have any choice other than I-94..........

When I commuted from A2 to the WSU area for about a year, I found M-14 and I-96 to be faster and more consistently jam-free than I-94.......Just Get of 96 @ Warren or King and take them over to the campus....

Quote Originally Posted by cmubryan View Post
    I think you should definitely look here. We are doing some great renovations as we speak:

http://www.villagegreen.com/detroit/washington-square/
    Washington Square is a nice building with a beautiful view. My cousin lives there. Here's a picture i took one night from his balcony. I took it on a camera phone so the quality isn't that great.

Congratulations! I hope to be making the move back at some point soon and your experience finding an apartment might come in handy!

congrats on the new job...when i lived in AA i too was forced to communte as i found a job in Southfield about 2 months into my year long lease Commuted for the next 10 months and it only really SUCKED in the winter time..otherwise it only mildly sucked

Great to have you back English....

Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to getting down there and getting my bearings after my dissertation defense next month. My new boss called me about setting things up, and I'm very excited.

Quote Originally Posted by rooms222 View Post
    >>>>>>>I don't know if you'll have any choice other than I-94..........
    When I commuted from A2 to the WSU area for about a year, I found M-14 and I-96 to be faster and more consistently jam-free than I-94.......Just Get of 96 @ Warren or King and take them over to the campus....
    You are so right. For some reason, the I-96/M-14 drive from Detroit to Ann Arbor is 10 minutes shorter than driving I-94. I've timed it quite a few times. I have no idea why that is the case.

I think that I'm going to run my lease out so that I actually have a real down payment to put on a place. This will also allow me to take my time to scout out places. I've heard about a few Midtown realtors, and would like to know about the taxes and insurance in Detroit.

All things being equal, I'd love to eventually be able to walk to work... just not a commuting kind of gal. But it'll take me a few months of savings to get on my feet, and maybe it's not feasible for a single professional... so... the next thing to do will to work towards a marriage proposal ASAP, so that I can live in Detroit again!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2