Since it was announced at yesterday's faculty meeting, the ink is drying on the contract, and news travels fast...

A couple of weeks ago, I accepted a faculty position in the College of Education at Wayne State University. It was the best offer among several, with great colleagues in the department, generous start-up, and lots of opportunities. Although my position is effective starting the 2010-2011 school year, I'll be setting up my office and starting work during the spring/summer semester. I couldn't be more pleased.

I'm really looking forward to getting back into the fray after 5 years in Ann Arbor earning my Ph.D, and mucking about in the Detroit education and youth community organizing scene once again. .

Lots of logistical questions follow:

1) Thanks to one of the awful landlords A2 is famous for, my lease isn't up in Tree Town until December. Should I look into renting/buying something MUCH closer to campus this summer or fall, and moving early? [[But then, I'd have to sublease my place up here, or take a financial hit, paying for a place I no longer live in.) Wait until next summer, and save up a nicer down payment?

2) If I stay, I'll have to commute. Established car and vanpools won't work for the university schedule, where I'd be working 10 to 6, or noon until 9. And I shudder, absolutely shudder thinking about commuting up and down I-94 until next spring.

I'd also love to know how living in Midtown has changed over the last five years. One thing that was true about the 2000-2004 period in WSU/Midtown/North Cass Corridor was that I felt absolutely safe living, working, and going to school there as a single woman in my 20s, and never experienced any personal or property crime there whatsoever. During daylight hours, I felt just fine walking alone as far north as I-94, and as far south as Alexandrine. In the evenings, I hung out with friends [[and some of you) at Cass Cafe, the Majestic, Traffic Jam, Union Street [[best Friday happy hour in Midtown in the early 00s if you ask me), and of course the watering hole next door to my old grad/professional student stomping grounds, Agave. University Foods was just fine for grocery staples, and if I needed more, I usually hopped on a freeway. What's the scene like now?

Excited to share the news with you! Take care...