Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

The St. Peter Claver Catholic Community in Detroit is running a weekly fish fry for the rest of the season's Fridays, March 5, 12, 19 and 26. They'll have catfish and whiting, with sides of pasta, coleslaw and beans, dine-in or take-out. Even delivery is available. Place lunch orders by calling 313-342-5292 by 11 a.m. Pick up at 13305 Grove St., Detroit; one block south of McNichols, one block east of Schaefer.

We're trying a different place each week....

Excellent Beer-Battered Cod Dinner at Sweetest Heart of Mary this evening. Just wish they would give you a little more to eat [[or the option to add another piece of fish for a $1 more).

Red Coat Tavern in Royal Oak has a pretty tasty fish & chips dinner too. Not overly dipped in batter and reasonably priced too.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    Red Coat Tavern in Royal Oak has a pretty tasty fish & chips dinner too. Not overly dipped in batter and reasonably priced too.
    PLEASE tell me you are joking!!?? $13 for what they serve is highway robbery. Four Green Fields has far better fish than Red Coat. I went to Red Coat after I came back from England because they call it "Authentic English Fish and Chips" and was so disappointed. Red Coat does a lot of stuff really well, f&c is not one of them.

So - anyway - as for the local fish fry - I know St. Justin in Hazel Park has one and they are looking to spread the word because their little parish is a bit hidden. http://www.aodonline.org/nr/aod/cust...-0010DE364035} Have not eaten there but it is supposed to be pretty good from what I hear.

~Liza

I have this friday off, I normally work afternoons so I should check out one of the places for a fish dinner. I have been wanting Fish and Chips since the beginning of Lent and I'm a Lutheran who spent 20 of his 40 years eating fish on lenten fridays.Hopefully I can see the Dr for bloodwork before I eat the fish.
    Have never been inside of Sweetest Heart of Mary Church, But what an amazing building.

Went to Sweetest Heart of Mary on Friday and it was really good. I had Fish and Chips, plus a side of Mac n' Cheese and I was stuffed. Took a little bit of time to get the food, but it was all good in the end. We went at 6:30 so that was the "dinner hour", may want to go a bit earlier or later to avoid the rush.

Quote Originally Posted by detroittrader View Post
    Went to Sweetest Heart of Mary on Friday and it was really good. I had Fish and Chips, plus a side of Mac n' Cheese and I was stuffed. Took a little bit of time to get the food, but it was all good in the end. We went at 6:30 so that was the "dinner hour", may want to go a bit earlier or later to avoid the rush.
    Friday 3/5 was not a good experience at Sweetest Heart. The wait was 45 minutes for our group. One person got the wrong order 30 minutes before the rest of us and I never got the salad I ordered. Silverware and food showed up haphazardly. There were ten of us altogether and four of them were visiting from out of state. It was an unfortunate experience for all of us. But I would give them the benefit of the doubt, they didn't seem to have many volunteers. It wasn't my first time, and in the past I have not had any complaints there. I doubt I will go back this year, we have always had great fish fast at the Gaelic League.

But this Friday I might check out St. Francis of Assisi, everyone is saying that's super fish.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    Friday 3/5 was not a good experience at Sweetest Heart. The wait was 45 minutes for our group.
    Timing is everything, I guess!! Last Friday we arrived at SHofM shortly after 5:15. Walked right in, placed our order, and sat down, waiting maybe 5 minutes for our food. When we left about 25 minutes later, the entrance was packed with folks lined up out the door. Looked like the line went from a few to a great many in short order. Sounds like it they attracted quite a crowd that day!!

Good for them, though. Having a bigger crowd than expected means more profit. You can't fault volunteers, even if the results aren't 100% wonderful. They are just trying to do something to help the church. It's just too bad I had out-of-town guests but they seemed to take in it stride and did not complain at all.

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
    I never got the salad I ordered.
    Salad there is self-serve.

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    Salad there is self-serve.
    And nobody there told me that. Oh well, back to the Gaelic League for fish.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3