Hi All,
I recently received my February water bill. Imagine my surprise that it has doubled tremendously since my new water meter was installed in mid-January [[the 13th to be precise). Well I called the water board to get an answer and of course you Detroiters know the drill....the customer service rep was just a clueless and dense as the rest of the departments in the city.

First, I asked why there was a signifcant difference in my meter reading of the old meter that clearly show on the bill as being read at 9 days. Well she finally admitted that the technician took the old meter to a "testing facility" where the meter was tested and it was determined that the City was undercharging me. I was like what? You all can do that? I mean to go back after I paid my past water bills based on what they [[the water board) charged me never mind the fact that they had screwed themselves in the past by sending estimates.

I have sent an e-mail to one of the council members [[Brenda Jones) since I have a good rapport with her and her staff to determine the legality of this situation because it seems to me that the water board and the city of Detroit should have sent out a letter when the sent out those post cards regarding setting up an appointment to have the new meters installed to forewarn residents about this "testing" situation.

BTW...I am not the only noticing this sudden increase. I was told by the CSR for the water board that this is "one time" thing and additional charges will not appear on my future bills.