Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    If anyone wants me, I'll be banging my head against the wall.

I guess all that banging is what made you come up with your last post !!

"Shouldn't the City put more emphasis in keeping Cobo booked throughout the year, whether the auto show stays at Cobo or not? That is not implying that the auto show is keeping Cobo from being successful, just that the City might be using it as too much of a crutch and might not be maximizing the use of Cobo."

Cobo is already booked for events throughout the year.

http://www.cobocenter.com/events.php

The SAE World Congress at Cobo this week is another big event with international ties. But again, those other shows aren't covering the bill and don't bring in anywhere near the revenues that the Auto Show does. You might not have noticed but Detroit isn't exactly a destination location for major conventions. In most major cities, the convention center helps sell the destination. In Detroit, the opposite is true. Convention planners have to look past all of Cobo's flaws to reach the decision that Detroit is where they want to go. As long as Cobo is a second-rate center, and it is, there's little chance that Cobo can attract shows that will bring in the level of revenue to match what the Auto Show brings in.

Retroit Guest

Bearinabox, the point is not to give people a river view from their homes; it's to give people a place to go to and relax, recreate, and enjoy Detroit's greatest natural asset [[the river) and Detroit's greatest man-made asset [[it's skyline).

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Bearinabox, the point is not to give people a river view from their homes; it's to give people a place to go to and relax, recreate, and enjoy Detroit's greatest natural asset [[the river) and Detroit's greatest man-made asset [[it's skyline).
    There are already many such places along the riverfront. You don't have to knock down every last building for people to be able to enjoy the river.

Besides, what you said before is that "the people of Detroit" should be able to "enjoy a view of the river." All I'm saying is that Detroit is a city, that cities contain buildings, and that sometimes buildings stop you from seeing what is behind them. Sorry for the inconvenience and all that.

These poll results might be a suprise to Conyers and Watson.

The survey also asked voters about the failed proposal to transfer Cobo Center to a regional authority. The question also told respondents the authority would free up $15 million in city money spent on Cobo for other city uses. Some 54% said they supported the agreement while 26% said they opposed it.

http://freep.com/article/20090424/NE...yoral+election

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by leland_palmer View Post
    These poll results might be a suprise to Conyers and Watson.

The survey also asked voters about the failed proposal to transfer Cobo Center to a regional authority. The question also told respondents the authority would free up $15 million in city money spent on Cobo for other city uses. Some 54% said they supported the agreement while 26% said they opposed it.

http://freep.com/article/20090424/NE...yoral+election
    IMHO, I don't think they're too worried about this poll. There are other folks who don't want the deal. You know lots of the stuff that happens in this city isn't for the good of the people or what the majority would like. *hug*

The state of Cobo Center's facilities is one issue that may stand in the way of generating convention business, but we are leaving out that doing business with the City of Detroit itself and the unions may be as big an impedement as anything else.

Cobo Center's management has a track record of corruption and incompetence. The most important element in any business relationship is trust. Why would anyone trust their convention to an organization with a reputation for crime and waste?

This is a business issue at its base. The global marketplace has issued its verdict on Cobo Center. Convention facilities and services in metro Detroit must change or other convention sites will rightly eat our lunch.

It's a business world and politics is only just living in it.

When you ask voters, over the phone, if they support an agreement for Cobo that would free up $15 million dollars that can be used elsewhere, you should be surprised that only 54% said "Yes". 26% said "No." I guess 20% wanted more details before answering

No matter what your opinion about Cobo, wouldn't you agree that this was a "leading" question designed to increase the likelihood of a particular response?

i'd have no quarrel if cobo was razed and a new structure entirely was built on the riverfront grounds.. no piecemeal upgrades..

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    i'd have no quarrel if cobo was razed and a new structure entirely was built on the riverfront grounds.. no piecemeal upgrades..
    Sounds like a teriffic plan to me, any ideas on how to pay for it ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2