Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Default Cobo Deal Still Dead

As expected, the Court of Appeals upholds the original ruling on the Mayor's veto.

All might not be lost, but I have my doubts now. A lot is at stake, and maybe someone can pull a rabbit out of a hat.
    I fear that this might be a serious blow to a regional approach to the problems of Detroit and the metropolitan area, though. If Ms Conyers and Mr Patterson can remain cool the negotiations might continue. If either one wants to destroy this opportunity, it is DOA.

Chicago, or possibly Oakland County, will be glad to take conventions away from the city.

I suspect all is lost. Lansing is tired of this and has other things to deal with. Macomb and Oakland counties have been very explicit that they do not want to change the deal in the way Ms. Conyers has said she wants [[preferential use of Detroit workers).

Cobo will continue to crumble, and the auto show will either wither away and die or else move, to where God only knows. The City had the chance to get out from under this albatross, and passed on it.

Bearinabox Guest

If anyone wants me, I'll be banging my head against the wall.

I've expressed this opinion before, but I'll say it again. GM is on the verge of bankruptcy, Fiat is saying they may walk away from Chrysler, Obama has said Chrysler needs to either join with Fiat or go out of business, Ford may actually survive, the import companies are all struggling and said that if one or two of the big 3 go under, they may not be able to survive after the ripple effect hits their suppliers. That's the doomsday outlook.

From the optimistic perspective, GM will survive...but gone will be Hummer, Saturn, Saab for sure. Possibly some of all of the GMC/Pontiac/Buick divisions will be gone. It is very possible that Chevy, Cadillac, and one other make could be the only survivors at the General.

Chrysler....a bit harder to be optimistic, as they are truly lagging behind GM/Ford trying to play catch up. If they are to survive, it will be as a much, much smaller company.

I can't say I know much of anything about he import companies, but from the little I've read, an alliance or merger between some of the big players may be in order.

Any way you look at it, the auto show will not be at the level it has been in previous years for awhile. I'm not sure people realize the magnitude of shit that is about to hit the fan. Many thousands of more jobs will be lost if a leaner auto industry survives, and if they don't survive, that number lost will be 10 fold.

So if a larger Cobo doesn't happen, should we really lose sleep over it?

Looks like 2010 will be the FINAL Auto Show in Detroit.
    That's a f***king shame that the city turn down all these Cobo expansion deals.
    Right now, Monica Conyers is dancing around butt-naked about her veto block victory.
    Thanks a lot "hood rat"!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Supersport View Post
    I've expressed this opinion before, but I'll say it again. GM is on the verge of bankruptcy, Fiat is saying they may walk away from Chrysler, Obama has said Chrysler needs to either join with Fiat or go out of business, Ford may actually survive, the import companies are all struggling and said that if one or two of the big 3 go under, they may not be able to survive after the ripple effect hits their suppliers. That's the doomsday outlook.

From the optimistic perspective, GM will survive...but gone will be Hummer, Saturn, Saab for sure. Possibly some of all of the GMC/Pontiac/Buick divisions will be gone. It is very possible that Chevy, Cadillac, and one other make could be the only survivors at the General.

Chrysler....a bit harder to be optimistic, as they are truly lagging behind GM/Ford trying to play catch up. If they are to survive, it will be as a much, much smaller company.

I can't say I know much of anything about he import companies, but from the little I've read, an alliance or merger between some of the big players may be in order.

Any way you look at it, the auto show will not be at the level it has been in previous years for awhile. I'm not sure people realize the magnitude of shit that is about to hit the fan. Many thousands of more jobs will be lost if a leaner auto industry survives, and if they don't survive, that number lost will be 10 fold.

So if a larger Cobo doesn't happen, should we really lose sleep over it?

Excellent points, I guess the Rock Financial Center in Novi will be large enough to hold the show after doomsday hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    If anyone wants me, I'll be banging my head against the wall.

I guess all that banging is what made you come up with your last post !!

Retroit Guest

Bearinabox, the point is not to give people a river view from their homes; it's to give people a place to go to and relax, recreate, and enjoy Detroit's greatest natural asset [[the river) and Detroit's greatest man-made asset [[it's skyline).