Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
My god!They stripped those items from the building?

Why would they not incorporate them into the renovations? That's what makes the old spaces so charming. Seems awfully foolish, maybe that's an indication why the renovation never happened.

The building is awesome.
How do you incorporate them into the new renovations? How do you save it? Who uses 20L hanging wall toilets anymore? Everyone replaces them with 6L toilets now. Clean water and sewage charges are a lot these days. I'm willing to bet the wood panelling from the 1890s most likely has no plaster behind it. Fire marshall is not going to pass that, so it has to go. Solid wood doors don't have a fire rating tag. Fire marshall says, out it goes. The solid ones inside the apartment will have to go because it'll probably not pass the fire alarm bell auditory test, so you have to replace the doors with paper thin ones unless you want to spend extra paying an electrician to stick fire alarm bells inside each apartment. I wouldn't be surprised if that furniture has a lot of mildew and wood rot from it and that's why the previous tenants left it there. Claw tubs? They need to be refinished to be useful and they are highly impractical. People either want a full bathtub or a separate standup shower.

And to top it off, Doyle's third link says the proceeds goes to charity so they're not even doing it to make money off of it: "Besides being a cool event for local antiques-lovers, proceeds from Renevatio's auction will benefit Affirmations and Mosaic Youth Theatre of Detroit, two local non-profit organizations."