Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Also in town will be Toledo's Polka Floyd, doing polka renditions of Pink Floyd classics.
    To funny. I can picture it now, serenade a Paczi with something like, "one of these days, Im going to cut you into little pieces"

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Skipper's Hamtown will be open at 10AM. We'll be decidedly low key. It's our first and we're feeling our way through it. We plan to have Punchkis, munchies, coffee, drinks and Polish Muslims as well as other Polka music playing. Hopefully, we'll have a few new faces peeking in and checking out the premises for later visits. I'll be making the rounds scoping out what exactly it is that makes Punchki Day, considering that the few times I've participated, I was in no condition to assess anything other than how to keep my feet on the ground. Stop by and visit while making your rounds. Skipper's may become THE PLACE to hang at future Punchki Days.
    Okay, possibly one ways your establishment could fit into the Hamtramck Pączki Day celebrations is to spell it right. It took me a while to figure out what you were talking about after all the other posters had spelled it properly - you could have copied/pasted from their postings.

And I shouldn't gripe on a nice holiday but WHEN will the news media and others learn that pączki is already plural?? Singular is pączek. So when they say pączkis, it's like saying doughnutses. Same thing with pierogi/pierog, and gołąbki/gołąbek.

Guess I've had more than enough sugar for the day [[season??) but hearing pączkis every year is like nails on a chalkboard to my ears.

Hey, who put a finger in your jelly? [[said in a stern voice)

Just kidding. The language lesson is always welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by mtm View Post
    Okay, possibly one ways your establishment could fit into the Hamtramck Pączki Day celebrations is to spell it right. It took me a while to figure out what you were talking about after all the other posters had spelled it properly - you could have copied/pasted from their postings.
    It took you a while to figure it out? Wow, not much of a linguist, eh?

Or maybe saying that just served your ridiculous purposes.

How long are Custard Paczki good for if not refrigerated?

Quote Originally Posted by East Detroit View Post
    It took you a while to figure it out? Wow, not much of a linguist, eh?

Or maybe saying that just served your ridiculous purposes.
    With others inventing new variations such the paczki shots, it's possible that this was some new snack or appetizer specific to the bar. It was just odd that ALL other posters spelled paczki correctly and that person couldnt even get CLOSE.

With others inventing new variations such the paczki shots, it's possible that this was some new snack or appetizer specific to the bar. It was just odd that ALL other posters spelled paczki correctly and that person couldnt even get CLOSE.
    Have some day old Poonchkey and relax.

And I shouldn't gripe on a nice holiday but WHEN will the news media and others learn that pączki is already plural?? Singular is pączek. So when they say pączkis, it's like saying doughnutses. Same thing with pierogi/pierog, and gołąbki/gołąbek.

Guess I've had more than enough sugar for the day [[season??) but hearing pączkis every year is like nails on a chalkboard to my ears.
    Hey, it's all Polish to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    Hey, who put a finger in your jelly? [[said in a stern voice)

Just kidding. The language lesson is always welcome!
    mtm is just learning that I know as much about the Polish language as I know about the english language. [[Spelling and grammar corrections, please?).

Stop by Skipper's Hamtown and get your 2 day old Poonchkies. Oh no, there's that screaching, nails on the blackboard sound, again.

My spelling is sometimes a little off.

Skipper has old poontang at his bar?

Or someone is blowing poonchkies to the cars as they drive by?

Man, this is starting to sound like it belongs in the Cass Corridor thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    My spelling is sometimes a little off.

Skipper has old poontang at his bar?

Or someone is blowing poonchkies to the cars as they drive by?

Man, this is starting to sound like it belongs in the Cass Corridor thread.
    Some of my rowdy employees and customers, like the Cummings brothers, proposed a two day old Poontang, oops, I mean Poonchki throw, across Conant for YouTube. We couldn't get a liability policy.

Skipper-Thanks, had a good time at your bar!

is there a place to get some vegan paczkis? I have an allergy to eggs, so the traditional paczkis i can't eat at all..

Sounds like you need to stuff some pita bread with a jelly packet from Campau Tower.

[Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question. Maybe someone else will.]

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    is there a place to get some vegan paczkis? I have an allergy to eggs, so the traditional paczkis i can't eat at all..
    Eggless Pazckis? Not that I am aware of. Interestingly I did find out that Chene Modern on Warren near Southfield has Halal pazckis several years back when I was questioned by some co-workers.

Hamtramck is awesome!

Don't forget Supreme Bakery on west side of detroit - good stuff - same owners for years - between michigan ave and mcgraw, near central. Just call me punchkie-cheeks!!!

5401 Proctor Street
    Detroit, MI 48210-2221
    [[313) 894-0222

Quote Originally Posted by Downriver Gal View Post
    I'd take a cruller from Dutch Girl over pączki any day. I do want to try the burek at Family Donut, though.
    Okay, now I'll have to start a whole new non polish thread, and revise Ray1936's post;

All my life, I've been smitten by the beauty of Dutch girls. Never learned to clog dance, though. I think I blew any chance I had........

I'm serious. They're dolls.

GUSHI Guest

Best Burek is at Drago's @ 15 and Ryan, He use to be on Campau back in the day. By Far teh best Burek.
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Okay, now I'll have to start a whole new non polish thread, and revise Ray1936's post;

All my life, I've been smitten by the beauty of Dutch girls. Never learned to clog dance, though. I think I blew any chance I had........

I'm serious. They're dolls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P5t9M6vIRs

I'm giving up beer and paczkis for Lent so it's on tomorrow.
    If I'm within two miles of Hamtramck I'm drawn to New Martha Washington Bakery [[IMO they have the best paczkis) like a magnet. When it comes to paczkis I have the willpower of a puppy.

Out of curiosity, what does a pączek go for in Hamtramck these days?

^ Most places sell them for around a buck each.

Amazing to see the lines of pączki-seekers at some of the well-known Hamtramck bakeries yesterday. These folks were lined up out the door and down the block at the usual places like Martha Washington, New Palace, New Deluxe... probably waiting 30 minutes or more to get a dozen pączki. Me, I was in and out of Srodek's on Conant in less than five minutes to get my dozen. Very good, traditional style, recommended. Srodek's makes delicious homemade cakes and pierogi too. A well-kept secret...

I hope everyone is dutifully fasting this Ash Wednesday. After indulging in some homemade paczki myself, I honestly have no desire to eat anyway.

Another question out of curiosity: It seems that any paczki I've encountered in the States have been dusted with confectioners sugar, whereas the paczki in Poland are glazed [[like a Krispy Kreme donut).

The other difference I've noted, is that Polish-Americans eat paczki on Fat Tuesday. In Poland, however, they line the streets outside the cukierni on Tlusty Czwartek [["Fat Thursday") the preceding week.

Can anyone explain these disconnects? It's a relatively trivial matter, but I'm interested to learn how the differences developed after crossing the Atlantic.
    Last edited by ghettopalmetto; March-09-11 at 01:42 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast