Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Or just move the fuck out of the ghetto.
    Wow! What an arrogant elitist statement. Kind of a modern day version of "let them eat cake".

Some people cannot afford to move out of the "ghetto" as you call it. I do not live in said ghetto but I have empathy for those who are there and unable to leave.

Perhaps you should change the D in your screen name to an R. Seems fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Or just move the fuck out of the ghetto.
    Sadly typical of this jackass.

Geez, people you don't have to live in the city to have your tires stolen. My folks live in Plymouth and only have a carport. They have had their tires stolen twice. The second time with tire locks. I live in the city and have never had a problem. [[knocking on wood)

Depends if the garage is attached to the house or if it's in the corner of your backyard. Plus, wheel theft happens everywhere including the suburbs. A neighbor at my old place had his rims stolen, but then again, it is pathetic to spend 4K for rims anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    I think if you have a garage, that is the safest place for your car. If you don't, park on the street that is busiest. If you live on a dark, low-traffic street, move your car to a well lit, higher traffic street. Or if you are in an apartment building with secure parking or a parking garage, park it there. Better than it being out in the elements. There is also the option of simply not having a car!! The bus doesn't get its tires stolen.
    The bus is a lot of fun in the winter too.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    The bus is a lot of fun in the winter too.
    In my experience, it's no more or less fun in the winter than any other time of year. Not sure what you're getting at there. I do like not having to scrape my windshield or worry about sliding around on snowy roads.

Whoever said replacing the studs on a hub was easy and inexpensive must have never owned a newer GM. Try 6 hours of labor at $72 an hour [[for those who must take it to the dealership)plus parts cost and the rims and tires. My rims cost $350 a piece, so now you guys have me considering that GPS in the wheel idea.....

LOL! I hate riding busses and trains communally unless it's an out of state trip... I love the privacy of my car... I know how selfish, but hey, so long as it's an option I'll opt for it. I'm for sho not trying to ride a bus in the city. I don't have extra 3 extra hours to build into my day : p
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    See, if we had transit, people wouldn't need to worry about this kind of shit.

[[Sorry, couldn't resist).

The only reason they don't drop the cars down onto the ground is the noise factor, it is not because they want to preserve the chassis. Also it is easier to get off all four wheels if the car is fairly level as the snatch and grab one by one each wheel.....
    Quote Originally Posted by rodj44137 View Post
    Well, that's still better than the guys that simply drop the car onto its chassis!

Rumor has it that there are a lot of houses for sale in town for fairly cheap, many of which probably have garages. Chances are that if you can afford $1200 for wheels plus tires and a car worthy of them, you can afford a house.

It's about setting priorities.

I'd have a house in a safer neighborhood before I'd buy a fancy car with fancy wheels. With real estate prices and mortgage rates the way they are, a house payment is probably cheaper than a car payment.

Fancy wheels and ones ability to afford them aside, you should be ABLE to keep what you apply to your car on your property. Or where you parked your car overnight as a guest. I don't think all of the 30+ people who had their wheels stolen the other night were "big" wheel car owners. From the news segment those interview seemed just working people and or students with average cars/ wheels. Now saddled with a big bill born of the increasing matter of fact snatch and grab "every-thing-not-nailed-down", increasing theft culture here in the city.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Rumor has it that there are a lot of houses for sale in town for fairly cheap, many of which probably have garages. Chances are that if you can afford $1200 for wheels plus tires and a car worthy of them, you can afford a house.

It's about setting priorities.

I'd have a house in a safer neighborhood before I'd buy a fancy car with fancy wheels. With real estate prices and mortgage rates the way they are, a house payment is probably cheaper than a car payment.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-12-10 at 06:39 AM.

See, that's just the point. I don't see it as an 'increasing theft culture'. It was like that in the 70s, 80s and 90s. You have to be proactive to protect your property. When I was there, I would have never thought to leave anything outside, even in the back yard. Even the lawn mower and shovels were always inside the garage locked up.

They used to steal garden hoses off the back yard lawn.

The kinds of things we're talking about are not new. And it isn't just Detroit. It happens everywhere.

I live in the country outside a small town. We have strings of cases of people breaking into cars overnight and grabbing whatever they can.

In Detroit now it may be Crack. In the 80s it was Heroin. Out here it's Meth. Different drugs, same result, more crime.

Meddle is right, when the perp is thieving for drug money. But the sad thing is, many of these thefts are being committed by an organized group of individuals who go home to a wife and kids. There is a culture among us of people known as "car hustlers," men and women who flip janky used cars to unsuspecting people without a second thought of those they take advantage of. One of the tacics they use to make money is selling stolen parts on e-bay and Craig's list. They buy the parts from junkies for rock money or from teenaged hoods, turn a big profit, and reinvest the money into a legitimate business. They keep small shops in areas like 9mile and Dequindre or Groesbeck, close enough base to 8mile to not get caught and far enough from home to keep their element away from their families. And they all know each other, trading parts and favors.

One guy I knew liked to sell cars with frame damage and stolen parts to young welfare moms with tax returns in hand. He would put his money into a house in Troy, then turned around and sold the house for over 140k cash, bought a house in Shelby Twp., and built himself a car garage/compound [[no permits of course)where he works on his hustle full-time. The neighbors know, they don't care and have hustles of their own. Their attitude is: F*ck those lowlife Detroit/ liberal/ poor/ black/ white trash people. We symbolize everything they never want to be and they wouldn't give a damn if we fell off a cliff tomarrow if only it wouldn't affect their wallets.

One of their most lucrative money makers is tires and rims. Steal them and then sell them back to the lowlife people they stole them from......

Can't believe how ignorant some people are on here. To blame the people having their tires stolen is a bit much.
    Not everyone can afford a garage either. They get broken into anyways.
    These thefts are another reason why that security guy won't get convicted of executing the guy who was breaking into his house.
    Nothing is sacred in Detroit.
    Even the gold fillings in your teeth won't be safe pretty soon.

I'm a used car buyer so I've run across the "car hustler" type and his/ her lemonade cars, with bent frames, the temporarily "hidden" knocking engine and electrical issues etc... I frustrated this type being a knowledgeable woman knowing how to gauge a worthy car model to buy accompanied with my own mechanic!

I was always pretty sharp and never got hosed on my used car purchases too bad. Plus I was not in a rush to buy the first thing shown me. Yeah, I recently put some new standard NO-FLASH cheap replacement alloys [[found on sale) on an older car once it was found I'd be holding on to the thing a while. I suppose that was "irresponsible" so I deserve to have them stripped off.

To avoid the standard suburban and urban "strip, steal and resale" cabala, I brought the plain wheels from a national standard tire and wheel company and then resold my own old alloys online... for a few bucks. But it is hard to avoid some finger print of theft on things.

We recently needed to buy a used alternator due to a sudden downturn in finances and I went to salvage yard, who has a good reputation for not accepted "stripped" stuff, but you really never know. But no "individual" can entice me with "something" they found cheap to sell me.
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Meddle is right, when the perp is thieving for drug money. But the sad thing is, many of these thefts are being committed by an organized group of individuals who go home to a wife and kids. There is a culture among us of people known as "car hustlers," men and women who flip janky used cars to unsuspecting people without a second thought of those they take advantage of. One of the tacics they use to make money is selling stolen parts on e-bay and Craig's list. They buy the parts from junkies for rock money or from teenaged hoods, turn a big profit, and reinvest the money into a legitimate business. They keep small shops in areas like 9mile and Dequindre or Groesbeck, close enough base to 8mile to not get caught and far enough from home to keep their element away from their families. And they all know each other, trading parts and favors.

One guy I knew liked to sell cars with frame damage and stolen parts to young welfare moms with tax returns in hand. He would put his money into a house in Troy, then turned around and sold the house for over 140k cash, bought a house in Shelby Twp., and built himself a car garage/compound [[no permits of course)where he works on his hustle full-time. The neighbors know, they don't care and have hustles of their own. Their attitude is: F*ck those lowlife Detroit/ liberal/ poor/ black/ white trash people. We symbolize everything they never want to be and they wouldn't give a damn if we fell off a cliff tomarrow if only it wouldn't affect their wallets.

One of their most lucrative money makers is tires and rims. Steal them and then sell them back to the lowlife people they stole them from......
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-14-10 at 12:34 PM.

Yep, gold teeth fillings and other dental artifices are being bantied back and forth on Ebay as we speak! LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Can't believe how ignorant some people are on here. To blame the people having their tires stolen is a bit much.
    Not everyone can afford a garage either. They get broken into anyways.
    These thefts are another reason why that security guy won't get convicted of executing the guy who was breaking into his house.
    Nothing is sacred in Detroit.
    Even the gold fillings in your teeth won't be safe pretty soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2