Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    I dont understand the call at all. He has possession, he is on his butt and down. It almost like he was spiking the ball to me to celebrate. Had to listen to much of the game on the radio, never actually saw any of it but the one play on the highlites.
    Stafford's injury is bad news. The backup is better then what we saw Sunday. He will be better next week.
    All we have to show for this game is another chapter in the lions tragic history
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGX2q_eer1g

or is he related to the guy who was rigging games in the NBA?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Donaghy

The Lions played like crap except for that d-line. They were fantastic! Other than that did any player really do well other than that line?
    It was a debacle any which way you look at it.

Now the chickens have come home to roost for the disgusting O-line. Barring the addition of Sims I stated that the O-line was gonna kill Stafford...I have been proved right. Why bother giving $40M to a franchise player and building around him when they won't protect him? Yes, this is yet ANOTHER Backus fuck-up. Last year Stafford was hit blind-side on his watch and was injured [[well him and the LT). How long do we have to suffer through Backus? A mediocre pass protector on a good day.

As for the catch? Well, if I was a receiver in the league I would catch my TD and lay down until a ref came over to see if I was injured. I would then tell him "I was just making sure it was a td and that my movement didn't constitute a loss of process."

Or how about tackling a player in the endzone but keep shaking him. If they throw a flag then state you were wrestling for the ball and that the process wasn't complete. What a fucking farce!

If the No Fun League continues this shit and then has a lockout next year I am done. I would rather watch baseball or rugby...at least the rules are clear. Mike Dery had it right. With the fantasy bullshit, the constant change of rules, wishy-washy refs, the commercials [[way too many), the push to try and accomodate more females [[it isn't working fella's) I have had enough.

If Stafford doesn't come back I am going with the goose egg again. 0-16. It looks like possibly 4-6 weeks minimum anyway....can we now sit Backus?

for the life of me I can't see how what happened yesterday is not more of a catch than this 2 pt conversion from the superbowl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J0_WL06AAc

Quote Originally Posted by staticstate View Post
    for the life of me I can't see how what happened yesterday is not more of a catch than this 2 pt conversion from the superbowl:
    The rule is new this year and I'm sure the superbowl play had a lot to do with the new rule. Some genius in the NFL thought he had a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Or how about tackling a player in the endzone but keep shaking him. If they throw a flag then state you were wrestling for the ball and that the process wasn't complete. What a fucking farce!

Open season on receivers, now. Guy caught the ball, came down both feet, a butt, a knee and a hand? Too bad, take his fucking head off, "process" may not have been complete.

Rather than pin the entire blame on Jeff Backus for letting Peppers through the offensive line, I want to know where was the help? It wasn't like Backus was beat by some 200 lb. rookie; he was beat by the most coveted free agent All-Pro defensive lineman in the NFL last year in Julius Peppers. One has to give some credit to Julius Peppers for doing his job as well. That being said, one would think that the offense would devise schemes to help keep him out. Other teams are doing that our Ndamukong Suh; they're double teaming him, they're bringing in a tight end, and they're utilizing a full back or half back to help chip him. Where was Backus' help with Peppers roaring in on Stafford?

Obviously there are one on one match-ups that one has to go through in the trenches but teams are fully aware of who's who on the opposing side. Our team has to know where the other team's best weapons are at all times and find ways to neutralize them; this is part of the chess game that pro football is.

Personally i don't think Backus is that terrible. That one play is now going to be magnified because Stafford got hurt. I look at the entire game yesterday, and if Backus was really as terrible as some of his detractors say he is- we would've gave up a lot more sacks than the two that occurred. I think Backus is maybe a hair above average but not that much more. He's definitely not a near All Pro like Jim Schwartz thinks he is.

Beyond having the personnel to help Backus and the rest of the offensive line I still strongly question the offensive game plan that was implemented yesterday. Why was it all short dinks & dunks for a few yards at the beginning of the game? We never stretched the field once? Where were all of these supposed offensive weapons that we saw in the pre-season? I thought some of this offensive firepower was to help keep the other team's offensive lines at bay. Stafford's supposedly got this quick release and I don't recall seeing it at all yesterday. That quick release was supposed to get the ball out and help protect him and make the O line's work that much easier. We were supposed to attack much more effectively than what I saw in yesterday's game; it gave the other team ample opportunity to come charging in full bore.

We're obviously going to be in for a different brand of football the next few weeks now if Stafford's going to be out. It wouldn't surprise me if we went 0-4 but if there's an opportunity for Stafford to heal, let him. I don't doubt Shaun Hill's ability to play QB, but it's just not what we were expecting nor were we hoping for it at this juncture of the season.

The rule is new this year and I'm sure the superbowl play had a lot to do with the new rule. Some genius in the NFL thought he had a great idea.
    I think it is a good idea but that rule was meant for receivers diving into the end zone. The rule should've never been applied to Calvin Johnson's play. I think the NFL brass wants things nailed down black & white in their rule books but obviously there are small grey areas that fall in between. It's instances like this where the officiating crew looking at it has to know the intent of the rule too. They blew it.

i was very unimpressed with the Schwartz presser today. His aw shucks atitude about the call was lame. We needed someone to get up there and support the players who played hard and got ripped off. He should have went balistic at the game and the press conference. This is a downtrodden team in a downtrodden city. We needed somebody to say were mad as hell and were not going to take it anymore. If you accept this you'll just get dumped on again. Where is the outrage. We needed Leyland going crazy, not Barney Rubble. He blew a chance to rally not only his team, but this city. Can you imagine if this happened to Dallas or one of the New York teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    i was very unimpressed with the Schwartz presser today. His aw shucks atitude about the call was lame. We needed someone to get up there and support the players who played hard and got ripped off. He should have went balistic at the game and the press conference. This is a downtrodden team in a downtrodden city. We needed somebody to say were mad as hell and were not going to take it anymore. If you accept this you'll just get dumped on again. Where is the outrage. We needed Leyland going crazy, not Barney Rubble. He blew a chance to rally not only his team, but this city. Can you imagine if this happened to Dallas or one of the New York teams.
    I'm torn about this one. As a fan I would've loved to have seen Schwartz go ballistic, fire & brimstone on the NFL on the call yesterday. Whether it would've been immediately after the game or at the press conference, I'm not sure it would've mattered.

But then there's the logical calm side of me that knows it wouldn't have done any good with getting the call reversed. He would've obviously been fined for the outburst and maybe the Fords would've picked up the tab for the tantrum. I'm sure Schwartz had some pretty select words to the officiating crew immediately after the play but I'm starting to wonder if somehow he knew HE was at fault for not preaching the "proper NFL method" for catching a pass in the endzone.

This reminds me of the Dan Gilbert post LeBron tirade. He obviously galvanized the city of Cleveland with his speech but I don't think he thought it through. I'm just wondering if Schwartz would've gone off, would he have rallied the troops behind him? Leyland went ballistic after Jim Joyce after the Armando Galarraga "perfect game"- did it help his cause? Did the Tigers rally behind Leyland and respect him more? Were we fans impressed then?

I think there are two schools of thought behind this and one is to belabor the point that we were victimized. We were robbed and dagnabbit if everyone within earshot isn't going to get an earful of volume. The second school of thought on this is we just move forward. The game was lost; Philadelphia is next on the docket- let's get to work, put it behind us, WIN and all will be forgotten. I'm wondering if this is a part of that "winning culture/ attitude" that Schwartz is trying to instill here. Is screaming and crying over spilled milk the best way to get respect in the league or should it just be done between the chalk lines with victories? It's the Monday morning armchair soreness for all of us; we're all bitter at the loss and how we lost.

Now if we rip off six victories in a row, I'm willing to bet that this loss will be forgotten a lot easier [[albeit never forgiven). Doubtful if that'll happen but I'd still like to think that Jim Schwartz is a sharp enough of a guy to realize when to speak up and when to hold back; he's calculated like that. Maybe he's just letting the media and fans do the pressing of the NFL for him. I have no idea but the NFL dropped the ball on this one more so than Calvin Johnson this weekend.

Interesting take on the Schwartz non-rant:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...rs-accountable

The new rule is designed for players catching the ball in the end zone and not landing on their feet. It was in response to a controversial td in the Superbowl. That rule has nothing to do with Johnsons catch. The NFL needs to step up and say they blew this one. Again, if this is Dallas or New York this is way different. You'd probably have Jesse Jackson and Rev Sharpton screaming. Its not about getting the call reversed. Its for not getting boned more in the future. Had he gone balistic the refs would be harded pressed to throw any flags our way this Sunday. I understand the cool calm and collected approach, but it just doesn't work in this instance for me.

The new rule is designed for players catching the ball in the end zone and not landing on their feet. It was in response to a controversial td in the Superbowl. That rule has nothing to do with Johnsons catch. The NFL needs to step up and say they blew this one. Again, if this is Dallas or New York this is way different. You'd probably have Jesse Jackson and Rev Sharpton screaming. Its not about getting the call reversed. Its for not getting boned more in the future. Had he gone balistic the refs would be harded pressed to throw any flags our way this Sunday. I understand the cool calm and collected approach, but it just doesn't work in this instance for me.

Really. Politicize much?

I'm perfectly fine with Schwartz's reaction. If he knows and we know that no amount of antics are going to change that ruling, why whine about it and look like a baby or a hot-head? The Lions couldn't get a first down in nearly TWO FULL QUARTERS of Football. That's what he wants the team to focus on. Bad rules and bad officiating are a part of sports, but not a part that the coach can change. His job is to put his players in the best possible position to win within that which he can control, plain and simple. Leave the yelling and theatrics in baseball, Leyland will always be happy to oblige.

After watching the game. The only logical explanation, I can come up with, is the loss, must be atributed to, Duh Curse. It was a win.

Anyone see any on-line video of Stafford getting a shoulderecktomy? Backus is a non-favorite, but I agree with Smogboy that he needed some help with Peppers. That guy is a Godzilla and Backus ain't no Mothra.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    I'm perfectly fine with Schwartz's reaction. If he knows and we know that no amount of antics are going to change that ruling, why whine about it and look like a baby or a hot-head? The Lions couldn't get a first down in nearly TWO FULL QUARTERS of Football. That's what he wants the team to focus on. Bad rules and bad officiating are a part of sports, but not a part that the coach can change. His job is to put his players in the best possible position to win within that which he can control, plain and simple. Leave the yelling and theatrics in baseball, Leyland will always be happy to oblige.
    I generally can't stand Drew Sharp's writing but for once I think he's spot on with the post game Schwartz here:

http://www.freep.com/article/2010091...-end-zone-play

It's been a few days since that debacle. We've all calmed down from it now. That burning outrage isn't festering in the majority of our bellies any more. Obviously Schwartz, who was in the middle of the fire, reached that calm place long before many of us fans did.

Also Sharp pointed out what would've happened if our most hated Lions president would've done if he were still in charge. Oh Lordy... he would've given every sports radio show enough sound bytes to last decades on end and cost the team a small ransom in fines for what obviously would've been an over-the-top response.

Its a lose and there is nothing you can do about. A distraction from the last game keeps you from getting ready for the next game, thats the way it is in football. Smart coaches are actors, the only a past issue to motivate when the time is right.
    Right now we need to get a backup QB ready and find a running game.

Agreed. Schwartz's restrained response was the way to go, save for the legalistic "process" lingo. His explaination of the rule was just an exercise in preztle logic. He did his best to explain the unexplainable, but failed at explaining the explaination.

JL, your summation was much better.
    Bad rules and bad officiating are a part of sports, but not a part that the coach can change.
    A little Bill W. philosophy applied to the Lions, which is apt in more ways than one.

Smogboy, Drew Sharp [[mr. stopped-clock-is-right-twice-a-day) did a good job, except for the reference to Millen and what he might have done in the same situation. Hypotheticals are lame becuase they mean nothing. One could speculate on anything. Millen would have lit up a bowl, run naked through downtown, ass-fcked a sheep, donated to a soup kitchen.

A hypothetical it is a weak argumental technique. A powerful rhetorical devise, but weak in logic and a poor choice for Drew Sharp.

In fact, the entire implied "Millen is the root of all evil" is just another version of a tired Detroit technique: blame the past for our problems today. You can almost pick any woe that faces our fair town and the same techique will be used for maximum effect.

Pass the blame. Point a finger.

The fact is that Mr. Johnson should have completely understood the new rules. Rules I certainly don't agree with, but rules none-the-less.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    The fact is that Mr. Johnson should have completely understood the new rules. Rules I certainly don't agree with, but rules none-the-less.
    Fisrt thing I thought about when I heard the rule is that its the coaches fault.

Billick and Dungy know more about the rules than anybody and they called it a touchdown. 99% of people on nfl.com called it a touchdown. So I still say it was a touchdown. Schwartz took the diplomatic approach, problem is, he's not a diplomat. He's an NFL head coach. This is a tough game where signs of weakness are exploited. I still like The Schwartz, so I'll cut him some slack. As for the game, I think the fix was in. I'm no conspiracy theorist [[Gannon I may need your help here) but if you look at the replay of Forte's td run down the sidline, it sure looks like he stepped out of bounds. Normally they go to the sideline camera view for this, but all the sudden we didn't get to see that view. The replay we saw was from cameras on the other side of the field. Then the non touchdown, immediately followed by the lack of a pass interference call on the next play on Calvin in the endzone. I need one more day of rage, tomorrow I'll prepare for the Eagles game.

I need one more day of rage, tomorrow I'll prepare for the Eagles game.
    Fair enough, though we always go by the 48 hour rule.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Smogboy, Drew Sharp [[mr. stopped-clock-is-right-twice-a-day) did a good job, except for the reference to Millen and what he might have done in the same situation. Hypotheticals are lame becuase they mean nothing. One could speculate on anything. Millen would have lit up a bowl, run naked through downtown, ass-fcked a sheep, donated to a soup kitchen.

A hypothetical it is a weak argumental technique. A powerful rhetorical devise, but weak in logic and a poor choice for Drew Sharp.

In fact, the entire implied "Millen is the root of all evil" is just another version of a tired Detroit technique: blame the past for our problems today. You can almost pick any woe that faces our fair town and the same techique will be used for maximum effect.

Pass the blame. Point a finger.
    You're right. There are certain things that Millen can still be blamed for but not in this instance. Lord knows we can point the fickle finger of blame for all of those failed drafts to lead us to this stage of Lions history but not with what Jim Schwartz did after the game. Dagnabbit, that Drew Sharp used that Millen cliche to rile us all up again when it really had nothing to do with what was at hand. Heck, he could've brought up how Russ Thomas would've reacted or how Charles Manson would've flipped out for effect.

Good catch [[much like the play in the end zone) of this, Gnome!

Fair enough, though we always go by the 48 hour rule.
    I'd be willing to concede a 72 hour rule on this one. This one stung a little more because it was so blatant. The Eagles will be here soon enough.

ok, 2 hours and 50 minutes left

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast