Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

You can't educate those, who live on the banks of deNile.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    You can't educate those, who live on the banks of deNile.
    And you can't feed the people on morsels either.

Morsels are what the lion organization, feeds to their fans.

..and obviously to their players because they can't take a hit.

Here is an interesting link on penalties for this team. Look at the offense penalties and yards negated. Peterman needs to be shown the door, Backus, though playing better [[I cant believe I typed that) and Raiola has always been undersized [[and now false starting on 2 games in a row). Keep Williams and show the door to the rest.

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2010/1...blem#storyjump

BTW: Schwartz said yesterday as I was flipping stations [[yeah I'm supposed to be Lions free but I was listending to rants about another sport) that the Lions call penalties themselves during practice. Maybe thats the reason they have so fucking many?! Bring in real refs and call them during practice. Ross did it and their numbers dropped like a stone. I guess Schwartz it too cool for that.
    Anyone wanna bet Lions win 5 games next year and Schwartz gets a big extension?

Now look at those penalites over the last 10 years with teams that were outright terrible [[yes even worse than this one)

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2010/1...bers#storyjump

Why so many penalties?

Isn't that fords method of operation? Remember the lions coach a few years back that said, "how does a guy get fired around here?". It is a true story, but the name of the coach escapes me.

fontes, the big buck

Just a slightly different take on the Lions organization, bare wit me.

It seemed long long ago that our beloved Red Wings were on a 42 year skid. Was it 42 years? All I know is that, growing up, the Red Wings were never squat and I only "heard" about the past gloriousness of that franchise. Hell, we were Maple Leaf's fans more than anything else! Goy!

But we watched.

And watched.

And watched.

Watched Lil' Stevie Y take to the ice in 1984, and at least he held some promise for better days. But they never came. Flash forward a little bit, and the town was amok over Petre Klima. How they came and went. To watch a Wings game, or even to speak of them, was a little less than truffling.

Now, don't get me wrong, there is no comparison between the Red Wings and the Lions organizations. What I am trying to say, I guess, is that this Lion's football club reminds me of the late-eighties/early nineties "Dead Wings", which very slowly shrugged off that tag, though it took another seven years until Detroit, heh, all of a sudden, became Hockey Town.

I like what The Schwartz is doing, and I wish that he would start benching players. I think we might see some of that because now his coaching is coming into question. You can say that the Lions suck, and ya can't get much argument from that unless you slice and dice all the numbers and stats. I think... that in Dallas.... to me this game will be a very telling indication of exactly where this team is at. It will be just like the Jets all over again. Staunchly, I'll take Dallas and five, which means the Lions are good to go. They better be.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    Isn't that fords method of operation? Remember the lions coach a few years back that said, "how does a guy get fired around here?". It is a true story, but the name of the coach escapes me.
    It was actually Daryl Rogers.

So Drew Stanton doesn't fit in to your long-term plans. I can accept that....he's certainly not the only lousy draft pick we made during that era. Given that, I have a few questions :

Why is he on your team then ? Why did you break camp with Drew as your # 3 starter ? Do you plan on cutting a 2nd round draft pick at the end of the year ?

If you let the guy play, you might get a 4th or 5th round pick for him at the end of the year. He can move....he has a strong arm....and his pre-season efforts weren't that bad to not earn him a start in this sad situation.

I don't hold one play against the kid. If we did, our whole offensive line would be on waivers right now.

Of course I should probably shut up at this point. With 2 games in 5 days, he'll probably be starting Thanksgiving Day after Hill gets killed on Sunday.

Darryl also liked to watch the pigeons on the Silverdome roof during practice. Considering our talent level during that era, you can't blame him.

Quote Originally Posted by ggores View Post
    Just a slightly different take on the Lions organization, bare wit me.

The differance is Illitch bought the team hired Jimmy D and wanted to win, and they did. Until Ford sells to a guy that wants to win we will never quite get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    :
    Why is he on your team then ? Why did you break camp with Drew as your # 3 starter ? Do you plan on cutting a 2nd round draft pick at the end of the year ?
    He was not just a 2nd round pick, we traded to get the pick as well. One of the worst picks ever. The guy doesnt have a strong arm, he was good at running at State. Unless your Vick, running QB's get killed quick in the NFL. Then he is also injury prone. Everytime he shows a glimmer of hope he gets hurt.
    He couldnt even beat out a guy with a broken arm last week.

We could have gotten M. Vick for peanuts. Another lion F U.

Vick is the highest rated qb in the NFL, who would have thunk it.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Vick is the highest rated qb in the NFL, who would have thunk it.
    Every dog has his day.

it is about time to re-start my annual Apathy Campaign. Since we afe now discussing the bad

Since this season is OVER and Vick won't be available, we need to start planning for 2011. Mayhew/Schwartz definitely did a great job bringing in new talent, so I'm confident that they can continue the trend. What kind of positions do you guys think they need to bring in?

Draft
    1st - LT or CB
    2nd - Best lineman or MLB
    3rd - WR

Free Agents
    Biggest HB available
    C
    OLB
    SS

Not supporting these losers, might be a good plan for 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Peterman needs to be shown the door, Backus, though playing better [[I cant believe I typed that) and Raiola has always been undersized [[and now false starting on 2 games in a row). Keep Williams and show the door to the rest.
    Peterman and the rest of the O line just needs to stop taking stupid penalties for starters. That's fundamental football right there in a nutshell. I don't think Raiola is that undersized for a center; those guys usually aren't the hulking bookends like the guards & tackles. And not meaning to defend Backus but he has taken on the best of the other team's defensive lineman week after week after week and doesn't seem that bad. He keeps those guys off of the QB; yeah yeah, except for that one time that Peppers nailed Stafford [[Peppers' lone sack that game), but how many time since that has he held off the likes of Jared Allen, Osi Umenyiora, Albert Haynesworth, and other All-Pro defensive lineman?

What boggles my mind about the offensive line is how they seem to be pretty decent at pass protection but can't run block. If we can somehow do that and balance our attack, we'd be somewhat respectable. I don't see our opponents respecting the fact that we can run- and quite honestly, why should they? We haven't proven we can yet; although last game we tried to no avail against a piss poor Buffalo run defense and made them look like heroes.

"Williams"?? Uh, when did we get a Williams playing the offensive line? Corey is on the defensive line, Derrick Williams is the WR, and Jack Williams is a practice squad CB.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    Since this season is OVER and Vick won't be available, we need to start planning for 2011. Mayhew/Schwartz definitely did a great job bringing in new talent, so I'm confident that they can continue the trend. What kind of positions do you guys think they need to bring in?

Draft
    1st - LT or CB
    2nd - Best lineman or MLB
    3rd - WR

Free Agents
    Biggest HB available
    C
    OLB
    SS

Vick's price is going to be way too high after this season and with the money committed to Stafford, I can't see the Lions bringing in a high priced guy like Vick at all.

I'd be a little more towards getting some linebacking help immediately in the draft. The depth there has been horrific over the span of this season and the reliability of the squad is going to be shaky at best. I'm not sure Julian Peterson is also worth resigning as well at his price; he doesn't want a reduction in pay and for what he's brought to the table, he's not worth $6.5 million a year. We've got some meat up front with the likes of Suh & Williams and need to be able to defend the run a lot better.

Amazingly our CB play hasn't been as shabby and as weak as projected. Alphonso Smith has been a nice addition and is amazingly second in the NFL with five picks.

I'd almost target LB first but the selection in the 2011 year seems a little light with Bruce Carter of North Carolina and Akeem Ayers of UCLA being the prime guys at that position. Alas this year's college class is loaded with QBs again. If CB is the flavor of choice for Mayhew/ Lewand/ Schwartz, then maybe Prince Amukamara of Nebraska or Patrick Peterson of LSU might be a shot.

And not unless there's a top notch sure fire offensive lineman that is in the first round, this year's class is pretty deep there. I can see them taking one of them with the second pick. But let's also get through this season and see how things shake down. The Lions brain trust in the last few seasons hasn't been too bad with their first round picks.

I'm sorry, but if you have what people refer to as a "serviceable" Left Tackle, and an under-sized Center, no one should be doing any speculating as to why we haven't been able to run the ball for 10 years....haven't been able to get a yard when you need it....haven't had a 1,000 yard runner....consistantly face 3rd and 8 time after time....and your QB destroyed like a sacrificial lamb for years. This ain't rocket science. Last week I watched Backus pull to his right and get beat to the hole by the defensive tackle in front of him. You can't gain a yard on 4th and 1 when your Center is knocked back 3 yards off the line of scrimmage. He's twitching before the snap because he knows what's coming.

The last time this line had anyone respectable playing for it was Jeff Hartings, and his last year we made the playoffs. That isn't a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    Vick's price is going to be way too high after this season and with the money committed to Stafford, I can't see the Lions bringing in a high priced guy like Vick at all.
    Of course, we are not going after Vick. The reference to him on this thread was what could have been when he was available last year for nothing. However you cant blame the Lions, nobody else wanted either.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    Ugh, here we go again looking at the draft status and available talent coming out. Im not quite ready for that, but it appears to be inevitable.
    I would agree with Smogboy, Start with a stud LB or CB. We are going to get a hi pick so one will be available.
    O-lineman and D the rest of the way

I wouldn't even have a problem with trading the #1 for a quality tackle or corner [[as long as we get a low 1st or high 2nd in the deal)

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Ugh, here we go again looking at the draft status and available talent coming out. Im not quite ready for that, but it appears to be inevitable.
    I would agree with Smogboy, Start with a stud LB or CB. We are going to get a hi pick so one will be available.
    O-lineman and D the rest of the way

anyone know if the Detroit/chicago game is sold out?

Doesn't look like there is anything except expensive singles. Everyone must have bought all the tickets after the Redskins game. You should be able to find good seats on NFL Ticket Exchange.

By the way, you owe me 3 dollars for looking this up for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    anyone know if the Detroit/chicago game is sold out?

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast