Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast

Like Thuster 315 I would give Schwartz a pass for now. The coach is in a tough situation. He lacks talent, you can only "coach up" some of these players so far and then one must realize that they are what they are. Some of these guys are not only physically sub-par [[ missed tackles, missed blocks, stupid holding penalties) but they make mental mistakes. The problem is that the coach can't really hold these guys accountable because he has no one better to turn to.

A coach owes it to his team to put it in the best position to win. So unless you are the Pats or another top tier team in the league you cannot afford to be giving out bus tickets to guys that screw up especially if they are your starters.

But you say we have CJ, NS, MS and JB, true but if you go 1 thru 11 on both sides of the ball and special teams I would bet that 70 to 80 percent of the other teams starters are better than ours, and ultimately thats what wins games. Right now with out injuries we are good enough to be competitive in most cases.

All the coaching in the world is not going to change that. When we get more talent, [[first team and depth) then the coaches can start giving out bus tickets when guys screw up over and over and over.
    Last edited by firstandten; November-26-10 at 10:35 AM.

How many long pass plays have killed us this year. Almost every game we scratch and claw and try to reamin in the game and eventually we give up a big play in key spots. It happened again yesterday when we go up by 7 in the middle of the 3rd quarter. Next series a 76 yards TD. It happens every week.
    I was originally opposed to a corner as our #1 pick but the more I think about it the guy from LSU could really help us big time. At this point I dont see us outside the top 3 picks ansd if he was still there I would have to really consider he is our guy.

The defense played well for the most part. Stopping an elite team like the Pats after your offense makes mistakes is a tall order for the majority of defensive units in the NFL. Suh, Spievy and Vanden Bosch earned their pay.
    Right now, the Lions do not have a consistent or threatening running game; add the fact a competent, but weak armed backup is starting doesn't leave much room for error. Putting together a high-octane offense doesn't happen overnight.
    Schwartz is in a situation where losing has been a tradition and changing that also takes time. Firing him and bringing in someone else to start from scratch only ensures more inconsistency and forces the team to embrace a different philosophy.
    I can understand the aggravation...I was a die-hard Oilers fan who met many a death on Sunday afternoons during the 80s. Then the team moves to Tennessee, goes to the Super Bowl and damn near wins it.
    I admit I know nothing about Ford or how he runs the team; the most obvious was keeping Millen around far too long.
    Give this coach and his staff a chance. A REAL chance that is. Jimmy Johnson made mistakes galore his first few seasons with the Cowboys, then wound up building a power house.

gnome, I'm not attacking any posters here. I guess some just can't stand to hear the truth about their addiction to this lousy franchise, so they attack the messenger, instead of the real cause of their frustration. 57 years without a championship, who is living on the banks of deNile? They are my team, but they stink, and are one of the worst franchises in NFL history. Why some deny true facts shows they may need an intervention. Yes, they are my lousy lions, and always will be. When they deserve praise, they will get it from me. When they deserve criticism, they will get that from me too.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Ah, just like the Lions ... now we start attacking each other.

It's nothing at all personal, gnome. I just state my opinion and I'm willing to back it up with stats and facts that can support my argument unlike others. I can cite stats, sources and can form an opinion based upon that. I'm not denying this current team's weaknesses one bit. But I'm also not willing to crucify this team for its history either. The majority of this team was not around for that 57 years. Historically this team is bad- that's a fact but why hang that misery around this team's neck? Let's move forward. Let's talk about things that can be done to improve this team. Let's talk draft, trades, free agency and even game time situations. Want ancient history? That's easy to look up but how is it seriously relevant to what's on the field now?

If we want to bring up relics from the past and talk about William Clay Ford, well... he's fucked up royally in the past by surrounding himself with rubbish, but can anyone say that about this current crop of underlings? Let's talk about the current group of draft picks that Mayhew & Schwartz have picked up? By most accounts, they've done well and have ranked favorably by other NFL analysts so currently WCF has done okay as an owner. His past is irrelevant now as is this team's. People have even accused him of meddling, by supposedly calling down to the sideline and ordering the coach to play certain players. Unless we get factual instances and not wanna-be fanboy conspiracy theorists, it's 100% bunk.

So have an opinion, challenge mine but be prepared to back it up with sound rationale.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Like Thuster 315 I would give Schwartz a pass for now. The coach is in a tough situation. He lacks talent, you can only "coach up" some of these players so far and then one must realize that they are what they are. Some of these guys are not only physically sub-par [[ missed tackles, missed blocks, stupid holding penalties) but they make mental mistakes. The problem is that the coach can't really hold these guys accountable because he has no one better to turn to.

A coach owes it to his team to put it in the best position to win. So unless you are the Pats or another top tier team in the league you cannot afford to be giving out bus tickets to guys that screw up especially if they are your starters.

But you say we have CJ, NS, MS and JB, true but if you go 1 thru 11 on both sides of the ball and special teams I would bet that 70 to 80 percent of the other teams starters are better than ours, and ultimately thats what wins games. Right now with out injuries we are good enough to be competitive in most cases.

All the coaching in the world is not going to change that. When we get more talent, [[first team and depth) then the coaches can start giving out bus tickets when guys screw up over and over and over.
    I couldn't agree more, firstandten. Jim Schwartz has got some talent here but not enough. He deserves the mulligan for now but he also needs to show some improvement next year. Getting to .500 will probably spare him his job but I also think that the seat will grow increasingly warmer. Any less than that and the impatient fans here will scream for his head deservedly or undeservedly so. Schwartz has come across pretty savvy for the most part with the exception of the Jets game [[ie. time management); I think he lost some street cred there with his team and he needs to keep this group from imploding.

This team's lack of depth really hampers what a coach can do. A few injuries here and there really handcuffs what he can put out there on the field. I also agree with the fact that Schwartz really can't be selective with who he puts out there. The glaring example is with Peterman; on any other team where there's some depth on the offensive line- he would've been benched until he got his penalty situation corrected. On better teams, starting positions are earned and kept with better play.

I think the team's on the right path with the last few drafts by getting some elite talent but that also has to start panning out. I see this team as being competitive this year but when the rubber hits the pavement, we're just not competitive enough. Just look at the third quarter scores of most games- we're either leading or tied, that's something unheard of in year's past. Like yesterday's game, our lack of depth hurt us and we squandered it in the fourth quarter. I like to think that it's partially due to our team just being worn out physically and emotionally. Other teams can rotate out fresher and deeper troops against us and that takes its toll. We're better but still not good enough yet.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    I'm sure Brady would love to go up against Alphonso again in the Pro Bowl.
    Ouch. That was by far one of the most painful days I've seen a CB get picked upon. He got schooled by Brady but he's also been pretty good with the interceptions [[third in the NFL). He's a pretty young guy who still seems to have a pretty good upside to him. I'm sure Brady's torched more than his fair share of young CBs.

I think that game is a fair indication of where we're at. We stuck with them for 3 quarters. That's about our talent level. If you saw Jahvid Best's foot getting taped up last week, it's no wonder he's been ineffective. He can't even stand on that foot from a sitting position. Can't blame Schwartz for his WTF reaction either. That's what everyone else did across the country.

We've had some key losses to Buffalo, Dallas, and even Minnesota. We're assured of a great pick. We need it. Even with Stafford playing, we weren't going anywhere anyhow. We're two drafts away in my opinion. The rules for getting better in the NFL from year to year don't apply to us. When you're 0-16, you have to add in the infinity factor.

Wait a minute!!!

Tampa Bay is 7-3 and St. Louis is 4-6. Both of those teams were just as bad as the Lions last year. What does Raheem Morris and Steve Spagnuolo know that Schwartz doesn't?

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    Wait a minute!!!

Tampa Bay is 7-3 and St. Louis is 4-6. Both of those teams were just as bad as the Lions last year. What does Raheem Morris and Steve Spagnuolo know that Schwartz doesn't?
    Not true at all. The 2009 Rams or Bucs would have mopped the floor with the 2008 Lions. They were such a bad team that it is immeasurable to compare them to any other team. Ever. Quite honestly, they have improved probably as much as the teams you've mentioned, it's just that their starting point was much, much, much further back. Record alone does not reflect that.

The team is trending in the right direction. As difficult as it is to say by looking at the record, there are other ways you can see this.

In years past on Thanksgiving, they would usually be down by at least two touchdowns by the time the coin toss was done. The fact that they stayed in it with one of the best, well coached teams [[with a lead for a good portion of the time, no less) shows that they are a more talented team.

Talented enough? No, but the trendline is pointing up.

Has Schwartz made mistakes? Yes. Has Stafford been way more injury prone than we've liked? Yes. Have younger players been exposed for their inexperience? Yes. Have guys like Peterman shown that they're not part of the long term solution? Yes.

But, quite honestly I'd rather the team go through these growing pains now, because I get the sense this time that even though they're making mistakes, they are now getting themselves together as an organization where they're not going to repeat mistakes over and over again. They're on the path to getting it right.

This team has a bad record. They're bad in a lot of ways. But unlike 2008 and even a lot of 2009, they have glimmers of hope. They have the best defensive rookie seen in years. They have a QB with raw talent that can be a star [[I'm hoping for the Phil Simms model). They have good backups. They have young budding stars. None of these things were said two years ago [[except for CJ).

They're still planting seeds. I know many people thought that playoffs were a possibility going into this year. I didn't. There have been many more bumps along the way than I was hoping for, but I still seem them headed in the right direction.

I still see the trendline as in the right direction.

I stumbled into some tickets for the Bears game. Since they are in one of those private boxes, just thought I'd warn you if anyone tries to storm the castle, I'll pour hot wing sauce on their heads. Keep yur eyes peeled.

Enjoy the game, and as an added bonus, it looks like Drew Stanton might start.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I stumbled into some tickets for the Bears game. Since they are in one of those private boxes, just thought I'd warn you if anyone tries to storm the castle, I'll pour hot wing sauce on their heads. Keep yur eyes peeled.
    thats funny, keep the evil ones at bay

http://www.detnews.com/article/20101...-of-the-season

Sorry.....I was a week off target.

Downriveiera, that "bonus" is for the Bears if Stanton is starting. What a fucking joke. How many offense coordinators didn't let him play and how many coaches? There is a reason why. He stinks!
    Why not throw in Robinson and see what we have with him? Stanton isn't going to be around after this season so other than show-casing to get rid of him [[what would any team give for the bum???) what harm would putting Robinson in do?

Glad I'm not watching the remainder of this yet another crappy season.

BTW: Why so many injuries yet again this year? Perhaps the conditioning coaches need to be let go as well.

57 years, and the merry go round keeps going round and round. Ford, please sell the team.

Great News fellow Lions fans!!!

Nate Burleson has guaranteed a victory!!!

That's making a few posters here, happy. Lions sold out, but with bears fans. Only a 4 hour drive, and no tickets available for home games. You'll see lots of bear jerseys Sunday.
    Last edited by Big Dog; December-01-10 at 10:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    That's making a few posters here, happy. Lions sold out, but with bears fans. Only a 4 hour drive, and no tickets available for home games. You'll see lots of bear jerseys Sunday.
    And we all suppose you didn't want it to sell out so you can listen to your buddy Dan Miller on the radio?

Who gives a flying funk who shows up at the game as long as we can watch the game. It's on free TV and we fans can watch it in the comfort of our own homes. What's to bitch about? No one had to beg & plead for Art Van or some other local merchant to go buy up the last of the tickets. The loyal Lions fans will still drown out the Bears scattered masses.

Default Sell out

[quote=Thruster315;202990]And we all suppose you didn't want it to sell out so you can listen to your buddy Dan Miller on the radio?

No, I believe we all did not want it to sell out so we could hopefully watch a "real" football game, with competitive teams. Not this sorry excuse of a franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    And we all suppose you didn't want it to sell out so you can listen to your buddy Dan Miller on the radio?.
    Speaking of Dan Miller, ya know I'm not upset at him for being a "homer".
    He saw how the team blew out Mark Champion for keeping it real about the Lions horrible play. There are only so many of those coveted play-by-play jobs. I bet Dan will say what he has to in order to keep his.

[QUOTE=jefferson78;203020]
    Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    And we all suppose you didn't want it to sell out so you can listen to your buddy Dan Miller on the radio?

No, I believe we all did not want it to sell out so we could hopefully watch a "real" football game, with competitive teams. Not this sorry excuse of a franchise.
    So go get the NFL Network. No one's stopping you from cheering on or watching whatever football game you want to. If you want to cheer for any other team other than the Lions, be our guest.

People bitch when we don't sell out. People bitch when we do sell out. OMFG!

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    Speaking of Dan Miller, ya know I'm not upset at him for being a "homer".
    He saw how the team blew out Mark Champion for keeping it real about the Lions horrible play. There are only so many of those coveted play-by-play jobs. I bet Dan will say what he has to in order to keep his.
    I don't hate the guy for doing his job as the radio guy for the Lions but he should've stepped away from his job at Fox 2 Detroit's sports director. I question his objectivity on calling out the Lions now because it's a blatant conflict of interest. When he's making the call on the radio, he [[and Jim Brnadstatter) are homers but after the game's over with and he puts on the WJBK hat as its sports director- can he bitch about the Lions as much as he would if he wasn't employed by them?

His play calling isn't the greatest IMHO, but that's subjective. I'm not a huge fan of listening to football games on the radio. I'm a visual guy. I want to see it live, on the TV or at the very least streamed across the internet for me to watch. Who the Lions put in that broadcast booth doesn't wrinkle me in the least because I don't listen to it.

[quote=Thruster315;203095]
    Quote Originally Posted by jefferson78 View Post

So go get the NFL Network. No one's stopping you from cheering on or watching whatever football game you want to. If you want to cheer for any other team other than the Lions, be our guest.

People bitch when we don't sell out. People bitch when we do sell out. OMFG!
    Thruster, Let's get something straight. I do not believe the majority of football fans in this area would bitch, at this point of this "lost" season if they do not sell out and become blacked out. Nor would they bitch when they do sell out. Although I admit, being a big fan of the NFL I would rather see competitive, entertaining teams, unlike the Lions.
    I would go for the NFL Sunday Ticket if it were not so expensive.
    Alas, I can find more interesting things to do with my Sunday afternoons than sit in front of a TV watching the Lions blow another one. If somebody thinks that is a good use of their time, I would suggest they find a hobby or get a life.
    If a person is so dedicated to this team that they must follow them no matter what, then I would question their state of mind. How many times can you bang your head against the wall before you realize it may not be the best thing for you?

wtf? dan miller a homer? you need to spend time in another market. for example, you know those Terribl Towels that pittsburgh fans wave? created by their insanely homertastic announcer. by comparison dapper dan is Cronkite.

---

on the leos i learn something every wk. a new and inventive method of losing is devised on a regulr basis. heart attack? a one legged kicker? yep. the best runner in history also leads in the most yards lost? sure... how about a guy killed while mowing his lawn? fuckinA.

too obscure? how about cutting kitna because of his lack of talent? how'd that work out?

lions are history in motion

Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 LastLast