Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I've been going to Truan's for over thirty years. Went as often as possible for the malts. The trick? Always order extra malt. Absolutely fantastic. Great selection of chocolates and other assorted candies as well. [[I say this not having been there for a couple of years...) It's a family owned company that has been around since 1929.

Quote Originally Posted by Laughsmith View Post
    I've been going to Truan's for over thirty years. Went as often as possible for the malts. The trick? Always order extra malt. Absolutely fantastic. Great selection of chocolates and other assorted candies as well. [[I say this not having been there for a couple of years...) It's a family owned company that has been around since 1929.
    Only rarely would we go to Truan's. That was considered a real splurge by my family. Great place.

Quote Originally Posted by Laughsmith View Post
    Little Professor was located at 22174 Michigan Ave in Dearborn. Sadly, they closed up shop several years ago and the building was taken over by a jewelry store. The Calvin was located at 22168 Michigan Ave., until it was gutted by two fires and then demolished in 1980. Buddy's Pizza, which is one door east of the old Little Professor building, now stands on that spot.
    Thanks, Laughsmith. What a shame to think of all that's lost. I remember the guy who owned LP was optimistic about all the development there, thinking he'd get more business. Sadly, the new residents all seem to be yuppies who don't read anything that isn't on a glowing screen, and he had to close. I believe that's why the Little Cafe next door followed a year or two later, because the cafe was catering to people who liked to read. So sad.

One day, though, those condos will be empty and all those overpriced, late-night lounges will go the way of the Calvin.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Sadly, the new residents all seem to be yuppies who don't read anything that isn't on a glowing screen, and he had to close. I believe that's why the Little Cafe next door followed a year or two later, because the cafe was catering to people who liked to read. So sad.
    Darn those readers wasting all of their money on books and internets! They will make a neighborhood go down hill quick!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Darn those readers wasting all of their money on books and internets! They will make a neighborhood go down hill quick!
    If they'd spent some money at the store, he'd have survived. But they didn't, so he didn't. Quite sad. I loved shopping there and had so many good memories. But print, for the moment, isn't as fashionable as little things that use electricity and glow.

Out at 25 mile and Romeo Plank[[where it heads north) there was a little country store. Loved going to there when we visited the farm relatives, but it too is just another party store today.
    I lived in the little white house between that store and the bar [[Kit Kat Klub)
    Joe and Dorothy Meyers ran that store until sometime in the late '80's - great people and a great store in its day with all the oak coolers and penny candy counter.
    Worked my first job there sorting the returnables and stocking coolers.

I tried to buy the candy case from the new owners in the early 90's but they wanted a fortune for it. Shame how that place was and how it is these days.

I believed the last old malt shop in Dearborn was the old Sanders store located at Westborn Mall, Michigan Ave & Outer Dr. This was back in the mid-1990s, I remember getting a hot-dog and chocolate malt from the food counter, and my grandma was shopping for some bake goods.

littlebuddy Guest

Is the Altermatt produce stand still there? My uncle lived across the street from there on Garfield, had a small farm.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebuddy View Post
    As a kid growing up in Dearborn, there was a malt shop on Greenfield, between Michigan Ave. and Ford Rd, called Scottys I think. It had a counter with the stools, penny candy,etc. They widened Greenfield and torn it down and they build one across the street, but it was just another party store. This was in the 60's. Out at 25 mile and Romeo Plank[[where it heads north) there was a little country store. Loved going to there when we visited the farm relatives, but it too is just another party store today.
    My cousin lived in that neighborhood, so I spent a lot of time there as a kid in the late 60's. Store with soda fountain was called Andy's, never the same when they moved it. Used to play street hockey from sunup till sundown on Saturdays at the tennis court behind Woodworth school. Fun times.

The big loss to me there was the Topper, where Cheli's is now. That was a top shelf neighborhood place until the kid tookover. Kiernan's is still pretty good. They can do a steak..

Went to Truans on Ford Rd today to try the Chocolate Malt. The lady working there by herself told me the soda fountain section was closed today. I told her I had heard about the malts on this forum, so she was kind enough to make me one. It was fantastic, and yes, I had her add a little extra malt. She apologized for closing the soda section. She said she is so busy with the Easter candy it gets too hard to do both. I also bought a solid chocolate Easter bunny to take home. The place is totally old school. Highly recommended. Thanks to those who mentioned it here.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Went to Truans on Ford Rd today to try the Chocolate Malt. The lady working there by herself told me the soda fountain section was closed today. I told her I had heard about the malts on this forum, so she was kind enough to make me one. It was fantastic, and yes, I had her add a little extra malt. She apologized for closing the soda section. She said she is so busy with the Easter candy it gets too hard to do both. I also bought a solid chocolate Easter bunny to take home. The place is totally old school. Highly recommended. Thanks to those who mentioned it here.
    Is that the same place as this?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Is that the same place as this?
    Sort of; there are locations on Tireman and on Ford Road.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2