Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Because local history is poorly taught. They think its a shortcut for COnevention Building Organization.
    Cobo was the last good mayor Detroit had.

"Let's go Cobo" was his election slogan.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    The Vegas convention center is much, much more than a two "block" walk away from most hotels in the strip [[a block in Vegas is about a half a mile.) The tram doesn't count, as it can barely shuttle a few hundred people an hour. Shuttles work there, they could work up and down Big Beaver as well.

Enclosed pedestrian bridges. You might have noticed them going over Big Beaver at Somerset already. A few more wouldn't be a big deal.

Oakland would be willing to shell out, I'd wager.

I'm not saying it's a perfect situation for a convention center, but I wouldn't completely rule it out.

The main competition Oakland can provide is a functioning, business-friendly government that can get projects green-lighted. I'm sure if a few more hotels were put downtown, some work was done making Cobo a bit more pedestrian-accessible, and Cobo itself was revamped, it would be a fantastic place for conventions.

As it stands, the city can barely keep streetlights working. Developers, when given a choice, will take the more expensive project with a higher probability of going smoothly, than a project run through a nearly-incompetent city hall.
    Could someone tell me what year this is again? I could swear I saw such comments as "Oakland would be willing to shell out, I'd wager." and "The main competition Oakland can provide is a functioning, business-friendly government that can get projects green-lighted."

Reading those comments make me wonder if we were back in the 90's when the The Big Three was pumping out SUVs and making money. I'm just curious.

http://r8rbob.wordpress.com

"It simply isn't feasible to replace Cobo out in Oakland County from a market perspective. It would either be insanely expensive or severely hobbled by lack of high priority amenities."

Add to that the area of the Silverdome, in particular, is an extreme example of the county's generally barren and boring offerings. Who wants to go to a shopping mall for a convention and stay in parking lot hotel with little to walk to? In a word it lacks grandeur and essence along with entertainment. Some things can't be made no matter the amount of money.

Comparing to Vegas is a stretch. Its 150,000+ rooms dwarf that of almost any city's. Several of its hotels could fit the 3500 proximate rooms necessity by themselves as well as provide convention space. Even if you walk have to walk, walking the Strip has a bit more to offer than a stroll along the Beav. And then there's the weather.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2