Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

There's overlap in these areas as people are variable. Partisanism in part endorses a division which serves to canonize opinions ala the far extreme of said party for dismissal or promotion, depending on what side of the fence ones stands.

However, conservatives/ republicans DO NOT OWN the issues related to or the option of being Christian or Pro-life, nor should they!!

There are people who'd admit certain positions outside of the their parties "prescribed" position, but don't because they fear being labeled right-wing kook.

Others have found their way out of the boxes. Thus, there are moderates, democrats, independents who are Christian and Pro-life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    The "religious/pro-life nuts" are a huge part of the conservative base. She is as much a real conservative as they are.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-10-10 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    There's overlap in these areas as people are variable. Partisanism in part endorses a division which serves to canonize opinions ala the far extreme of said party for dismissal or promotion, depending on what side of the fence ones stands.

However, conservatives/ republicans DO NOT OWN the issues related to or the option of being Christian or Pro-life, nor should they!!

There are people who'd admit certain positions outside of the their parties "prescribed" position, but don't because they fear being labeled right-wing kook.

Others have found their way out of the boxes. Thus, there are moderates, democrats, independents who are Christian and Pro-life.
    Yeah, yeah sure there is some overlap, but the GOP sees the fundies and the pro-lifers as part of their base. Palin was put on the ticket to appeal to them. So, my question is still, how is Palin not a "real" conservative? Blarf didn't give a definition for that.

Sarah's future fame and fortune will come from the fringes of the political system, such as being a pundit or having her own right wing talk show. You are not going to be successful as a politican or president unless you can move to the center. Palin to this point has shown no desire to do so. extreme left or right ideas can fire up your base and make you a lot of money but It won't however get you in the presidential chair. Sarah has a hard enough time getting the right wing talking points down. An intelligent policy discussion is beyond her political capabilities at this time.

Yep, I hear you. I sorta resent that the GOP tries to own so many perspectives and positions that I KNOW are or could be better understood and less demonized as bipartisan. Further, it does not help that so many ascribe them solely to the GOP.
    Yeah, yeah sure there is some overlap, but the GOP sees the fundies and the pro-lifers as part of their base. Palin was put on the ticket to appeal to them. So, my question is still, how is Palin not a "real" conservative? Blarf didn't give a definition for that.

umm let me see [[got to check the notes on my hand)...oh yes ...

1. I give Ms McCain a thumbs up for her commentary on the tea party...
    2. Sarah's sheet slipped a little this weekend...and her tax invading, immigrant bashing, voter testing, seccessionist party was exposed -or in other words, de hooded this weekend.
    3. That moderates in the republican party can go back to being nonobstructionist as they playing politics and finally distant themselves from the fringe tea party.
    4. Maybe with their politics exposed they can sit down and do something for the people of America...like healthcare and jobs....

All the GOP candidates have to do to have their Party support them is to say they are pro-guns, anti-abortion, and a good Christian.

The base cares little for anything else and the abortion issue is the biggest joke on their voter's. There has been a 5-4 conservative majority on the Supreme Court for 20 years and Roe v. Wade isn't going to be overturned any time soon.

Seriously, in the past the Re-pubs stood for smaller government and were for less government spending. Reagan sent the deficit into the stratosphere and Jr. Bush expanded the government beyond anything we've seen since FDR. The difference is FDR expanded the government to help the country get out of the first Republican Depression and Bush did it for a power grab.

No doubt Bush was spend-golly. I'm not very partisan loyal to either side, thus, I've stated before the repubs who claim excess deficit spending started with president Obama are playing politics. Those who simply justify the spending without regard because it's now "our turn" are equally so engaged.

And as someone else here on DY stated, Obama sorta had to keep the spending peddle-to-the metal train going to sorta jump the chasm to the next stretch of tracks on the other side.

Have we made to the other side? Or just awaiting the crash at the bottom is still debatable.....

Well, on the pro-gun tip, well there are at least a handful of Detroiter's , full-out Democrats legally owing guns, practicing at the ranges, who'd rather eat their right arm off than A. surrender their second amendment rights or B. be associated with repubs, NRA or any of the baggage usually associated with and ascribed to enthusiastic gun ownership! Again the repubs don't own it, yet we play the game that the do!

Re. abortion, there are good people on both sides of that very difficult issue, people of good intentions too, and withstanding the recent spike in teen age pregnancies, more women are rethinking abortion as an option [[perhaps all of those women are repubs?):

Abortion Rate Falls to 30-Year Low
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=18183734

[[PS. The link is not from the usual suspects on this issue)

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    All the GOP candidates have to do to have their Party support them is to say they are pro-guns, anti-abortion, and a good Christian.

The base cares little for anything else and the abortion issue is the biggest joke on their voter's. There has been a 5-4 conservative majority on the Supreme Court for 20 years and Roe v. Wade isn't going to be overturned any time soon.

Seriously, in the past the Re-pubs stood for smaller government and were for less government spending. Reagan sent the deficit into the stratosphere and Jr. Bush expanded the government beyond anything we've seen since FDR. The difference is FDR expanded the government to help the country get out of the first Republican Depression and Bush did it for a power grab.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-11-10 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideron View Post
    It's hugely funny to see this coming from people that elect and re-elect people like John Conyers, Monica Conyers, the entire Detroit City Council,Kwame Kilpatrick, Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, etc etc etc.....
    Funny how you always make hasty generalizations that the people who post here vote for those clowns you just mentioned...

You really need to get out more....
    Last edited by Gistok; February-10-10 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Papasito View Post
    Im thinking the context in which this little tidbit was yanked from probably explains more details of her POV.

Granted, she's not the brightest light in the room, but if Dems and Reps are not sick and tired of the self serving corrupt government in place, and tired of liars who promise something different but then serve up a big hot helping of "Same old" or "Worse", then I feel bad for you.
    Papasito, I generally don't agree with your POV, but that post was spot on!!

Blarf Guest

So, my question is still, how is Palin not a "real" conservative? Blarf didn't give a definition for that.
    Being a religious nut, pro-life, and pro-gun, does not automatically make you a conservative. I haven't found much else on her stance. The debates last year didn't really tell us anything.

Maybe her book does, but I can't imagine she goes into much detail on conservative philosophies dealing with foreign policy and interventionism.

Being a "religious nut, pro-life, and pro-gun" are not always daisy-chained together either. People are complex... and sometimes do not fit the in the accustom shapes and moldings that serve politics and public policy determination.

Again Palin is so done. I never viscerally hated her as did some, but she's clearly not president material... When she talks about most subjects that might be rationally debated, the subject or any aspect of it becomes ascribed SOLELY TO and OF HER, and therefore dismissed to the nut-case "refuse" pile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    Being a religious nut, pro-life, and pro-gun, does not automatically make you a conservative. I haven't found much else on her stance. The debates last year didn't really tell us anything.

Maybe her book does, but I can't imagine she goes into much detail on conservative philosophies dealing with foreign policy and interventionism.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-10-10 at 10:00 PM.

Quote: "People are complex... and sometimes do not fit the in the accustom shapes and moldings that serve politics and public policy determination."

But that's what happened, they have partitioned our society into two or three distinctive groups that continually bicker back and forth and accomplish nothing. Divide and conquer as they say. Just look at what people focus their attentions on. Much of it of little consequence. While the robberbarons thieve us blind. It's brilliant from a strategic control plan standpoint, I have to hand it to the Government and media. Even those that don't fit well in a group are referred to as left or right leaning. If you don't belong they will assign you.

In a perfect world/slash congress...any representative that has received over a certain dollar amount from pharmaceutical, insurances and medical associations, excuse themselves from the voting [[hearing crickets in the chamber yet?)...

another point...gun ownership is fine [[many demos and repub...are very responsible0...cop killer ammo, automatic weapons, 50 caliber machine guns..in private hands well....I would never take away a shotgun from a duck hunter...but a ak from a separatist, supremacist or a gang banger? it is about boundaries and common sense...which it seems can be misguided at times...

Sarah Palins politics are the scary part...her popularity and persona is the delivery...maybe people react to her with so much vile is because she is taken seriously by fringes that seem to get more emboldened and vocal with every newscast...it is giving a radically right agenda a platform..lets face it ..the sheets have been pulled off of the tea party and it has lost some of it's original naivety...look at the history of the speakers [[Tarantino) ...she embraces a group of people who are dividing our country with vile at a level more deeply than a few liberals....so yes people are reacting to her...and they should...is she done...nope..not as long as she can get 100000 for a empty speech. Not as if her handlers use her to divide our country and promote a racist agenda [[which in a way it is)...she wanted to secede, start a revolution and look at her spiritual guides [[witch hunters in Africa)...get over her looks and hokesy mannerism...and see her real agenda..then tell me if you don't see what is dwelling under the surface...look at her psychological profile...her intelligence...remember...people with values similar to hers, becks and limbaugh are influencing many. Connect the dots and see how inhumane our world would be with that type folks in control...Give me Ford or Eisenhower any-day..even Nixon...or Bush senior..but the Bush/Reagan conservatives are just off target...her invoking of Reagan was pandering at the finest[[does anyone think that Reagan would even give her the time of day?). Where did the neocons begin? and who are they trying to influence....they sure are shaping her foriegn policy statements/

Well stated. That's why I'm not too deep-dished for partisan loyalty. I realized early in life there was a certain blindness and manipulation therein. I refuse to go along with the ascribed partitions full out. Nope. I want to be able to examine various ideas and policies more carefully, without the strategic gloss over[[s).
    Quote Originally Posted by Sstashmoo View Post
    Quote: [[Zacha341 wrote) "People are complex... and sometimes do not fit the in the accustom shapes and moldings that serve politics and public policy determination."

But that's what happened, they have partitioned our society into two or three distinctive groups that continually bicker back and forth and accomplish nothing. Divide and conquer as they say. Just look at what people focus their attentions on. Much of it of little consequence. While the robberbarons thieve us blind. It's brilliant from a strategic control plan standpoint, I have to hand it to the Government and media. Even those that don't fit well in a group are referred to as left or right leaning. If you don't belong they will assign you.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-11-10 at 06:17 AM.

Retroit Guest

Anyone who speaks out against Obama will do well in the next 3 years [[until he is voted out of office).

Well she is on TV every day. What else would you expect? And it would be a bigger shock if people did not comment on the stupid shit she says.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideron View Post
    Palin won't run for President

Palin will never be President

But MAN, she sure is in the kitchens of some of you here!!!

Nothing beats a good train wreck for ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Anyone who speaks out against Obama will do well in the next 3 years [[until he is voted out of office).
    considering VERY recent polls show obama still has 64% thinking he is better than either house of congress and the republicans are STILL down below 25% approval...

I never really liked Bush Sr.
    He didn't hold a candle to Reagan. Bush I really didn't do much in his presidency at all except for rush our military to the aid of some tiny little country half a world away and leave a tyrant in power to fight again another day. His presidency brought little real progress to the country, he was kind of an empty suit, and that's why Clinton bumped him off before he could do a second term.

Reagan held a torch for the neocons, ultra conservatives and the rich...he held a blow torch for everyone else.

[quote=Papasito;119610]I never really liked Bush Sr.
    He didn't hold a candle to Reagan. .[/quote ]

What did Reagan do that was so great other than signing the MLK holiday into law
    Did his trickle down economics work for you ? Did his breaking up of Patco make you jump up and down. Really why do you think he was so great. You know he was suffering the effects of dementia when he was still in office. I know, maybe it was his handlers that made him such a hero. Ah, yes the puppetmasters pulling his strings.

Maybe old Sarah isn't as dimwitted as people try to make her out to be

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/14/op...14rich.html?em

Quote Originally Posted by gibran View Post
    Reagan held a torch for the neocons, ultra conservatives and the rich...he held a blow torch for everyone else.
    While I was born during FDR'd presidency, I don't rmember much of him. The two presidents in my voting lifetime that I could listen to speaking and I would hang on every word were JFK and Reagan. They were the two men that could inspire.

Anyone else find it ironic that Palin whines about the supposed "liberal" media picking on her, yet names her book after a term hung onto her by this media? How about anytime some reporter has a camera, or wants her on a show, she readily agrees? This is a classic case of hypocrisy, something Sara has clearly shown she suffers from.

I wonder how many of her defenders here drop what their doing to read her latest Twitter about how she's a "victim"? I thought only "liberals" played the victim card.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast