Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Somebody explain this to me..... Matty wants to build a new span right next to the existing bridge, yet he wants to close the current Ambassador span. The new span would also be 4 lanes. How exactly would this increase capacity and allow more traffic to cross if your just replacing 4 lanes with 4 new lanes? Hypothetically if he gets to build his twin span, wouldn't it make sense to have it work like the Blue Water Bridge spans with each bridge carrying one way traffic? Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't the best option to build the second span south of the current span so that the bulk of the truck traffic will use that one and the Ambassador would be mostly be for commuter traffic between Detroit and Windsor?

The new span will be six lanes. The old span will not be torn down but re-built once the new one opens. Once rebuilt he will use it for 'emergencies' yet the definition of an emergency could be... golly if we use thar capacity we can make more money. As it stands Huron Church cannot handle the traffic that it has now and there are no alternative routes. Therefore going from 4 lanes to 10 lanes is a huge increase in capacity.

Maroun does not want the other bridge built because it would be competition. At one time he wanted to buy the tunnel and run everything ouff the Ambassador Bridge Plaza by constructing a roadway that will connect the two. The only way to do that is to tear down a bunch of stuff and block the waterfront from the citizens.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; February-08-10 at 08:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eriedearie View Post
    Ya know - through all of this I wonder about the people with the bait shop "Morouned" right in the middle of Manny's mess there. Every time we use the bridge to come home from Detroit, I just feel so sorry for those people and their business. How can they make any money? Those people were done down-right- dirty by Moroun. With all his money he could have bought the guy out. But no, he builds around the place. Rotten, rotten, rotten. There's gotta be a fire in hell designated just for Matty Moroun.
    Story about the bait shop guy:

http://www.detroitblog.org/?p=764

Thank you Pam! Wonder if there will be an up-dated story?

The owner of the bait shop should sue the DIBC and the M-DOT [[state of michigan).

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Does anybody have any pictures of these pillars for the bridge and building he put up illegally?
    I know he contracted pilings on a very hush-hush basis from a GR company. The pictures I have seen haven't shown them actually in place yet.

Hey, thanks for informing us of this, Windsor Star. Do our stellar papers provide us with this information?
    No. We get an editorial in the Detroit News about how the DRIC should tuck its tail and completely abandon the downriver span.
    Think I'm joking?
    http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...er-bridge-plan
    Un-be-lievable!

KOMPOST,

The Freep had the Windsor Star beat by an hour on breaking the story:

http://freep.com/article/20100317/NE...ear-out-denied

As for the Snews...

Default Bridge Owner may have to remove Gateway Project work

The dude [[one of my all-time favorite movie characters) was just asking about this on another bridge related thread.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...y-Project-work

The teeth of justice are slowly gnawing on Maroun's ankles.

Matty Moroun is a greedy old coot. I'm still angry at him about the old dilapidated train station.

Quote Originally Posted by jglover126 View Post
    Matty Moroun is a greedy old coot. I'm still angry at him about the old dilapidated train station.
    You and me both - I think that beautiful old station could have had some amazing potential if he even cared one bit about this city. His arrogance and greed has allowed it to crumble into ruin. So sad.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lizaanne View Post
    You and me both - I think that beautiful old station could have had some amazing potential if he even cared one bit about this city. His arrogance and greed has allowed it to crumble into ruin. So sad.
    Still remember that State of the City address where Kwame roused a standing ovation for Maroun while announcing that the MCS would be the new police headquarters....

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    Still remember that State of the City address where Kwame roused a standing ovation for Maroun while announcing that the MCS would be the new police headquarters....
    I nearly cried when I heard that news - I was so excited!! Totally skeptical mind you, but so excited that something could actually happen to that [[once) beautiful building.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2