Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Hornwrecker View Post
    It attached Cass Tech to Commerce over Vernor[[?)
    That bridge was built to connect the "new" Cass Tech [[built 1917) to its old building, which soon became the High School of Commerce. The bridge, which was dedicated to the school's WWI dead, was built across what was then High St., later renamed Vernor Hwy. I believe that it, and Commerce, were torn down to make way for the Fisher Fwy. [[I-75) in the 1960s.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; February-06-10 at 01:57 PM.

Thanks for posting up that link to the HOF thread. Looking at those pictures is absolutely incredible. I've never seen that many people walking around downtown before. [[Obviously because I'm only 23)

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Thanks for posting up that link to the HOF thread. Looking at those pictures is absolutely incredible. I've never seen that many people walking around downtown before. [[Obviously because I'm only 23)
    Duh, here's the link to the part of the HOF thread with the picture of Crowley's, and a ton of other pictures of downtown in 1968.
    http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1224199937

I saw your post and realized that there must be some way to get to the part of the thread with the pictures from the link I had posted above. I finally in frustration just sort of randomly clicked the "Archive through..." link at the top of the page and there they all were. Stupid me.

A lot of great pictures there of the outside Crowley's [[including a shot of the facade from the bridge in question). And a lot of other pictures too of the downtown of my childhood. Since my father and grandmother worked downtown, and my mother worked there part-time, I used to go down there pretty much once or twice a week. I think '68 or '69 was the first year when I started taking the bus there by myself, and began exploring the area on my own.

There are 10 "Vintage Kodachrome" threads in the Hall of Fame portion of the Archives.

Nine of them appear here and the tenth is here and here.

============================================

The images you see in each of those threads are low resolution versions of my scanned images, which I uploaded as I posted on the thread. Lowell places a maximum file size limit on uploaded images because he wants to control his costs for the data transfer when those images are sent to our computer.

As a courtesy for those who want to view those images in greater detail, I provided links to high resolution versions of each image. The high resolution images are all hosted on my web server and I am the one who is paying for the data transfer [[bandwidth) when they are viewed.

When a 0.8 MB hi-res image file like the one above is "uploaded from a URL" and embedded in this thread, it gets called up from my web server every time this thread is viewed or refreshed. Since that image was included in a "quote" by a second poster, I am paying for 1.6 MB of bandwidth [[data transfer) each time this thread is viewed or refreshed.

Unless you own the URL domain, it is better to just provide a link to a photo on some else's web site instead of "hotlinking" to it so that it shows up in your thread post.

When I happen to go through my web server logs and see too many "gets" of large image files like these:
    99.150.153.236 - - [06/Feb/2010:15:24:21 -0800] "GET /photos/slides/crowley_8th_flr_kern_blk_kennedy_sq_june1968.jpg HTTP/1.1" 200 891674 "http://detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?t=4482"
    I occasionally replace the abused image with one of these:
    Attachment 5141

Neva'mind! I found it on that old area view on the DYes archive:

http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...tml?1224199937

Is that the Book building to the right in the background? And what is the building to the left? What street was the original Crowleys on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    Wow! I came across this in an old folder of saved antique Detroit images, but I have no info on it other than that it was taken in 1955. Can someone identify this amazing street-spanning building?

Attachment 5134
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-06-10 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    That fountain was part of the hideous Kennedy Square that replaced Detroit's beautiful City Hall, in yet another misguided part of the city's drive to "modernize". And I'm surprised to see a picture of the fountain actually in operation, since it was dry for almost all of the time that that monstrosity was there, and leaked into the parking garage below on the few occasions when it was actually in use.

For those not old enough to remember, or not from this area, believe me, the Ernst & Young building is an improvement.
    I wonder if they will pull soem half-assed shit like that where the Lafayette Building stands....sorta stands?

Yikes, I am embarrassed to admit that I remember that fountain! Figures that it leaked!
    Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    That fountain was part of the hideous Kennedy Square that replaced Detroit's beautiful City Hall, in yet another misguided part of the city's drive to "modernize". And I'm surprised to see a picture of the fountain actually in operation, since it was dry for almost all of the time that that monstrosity was there, and leaked into the parking garage below on the few occasions when it was actually in use.

For those not old enough to remember, or not from this area, believe me, the Ernst & Young building is an improvement.

Ah-hmmm, I recall attending - er, I mean uh' "walking" by some of those "protest" events that were held at the fountain towards it's end.... early 80s I think.......I recall seeing people speaking or singing from the stage!
    Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    And of course, that fountain was WAAAAAAAAAAAY better than what was there before [[sarcasm): http://buildingsofdetroit.com/places/cityhall

Perhaps a Subway...? Just joking !
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I wonder if they will pull soem half-assed shit like that where the Lafayette Building stands....sorta stands?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2