Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 97.1 The Ticket

Darren McCarty was on for 3 days last week, with Bill and Sarah. He blended in much better with them, than Stony. I was hoping Stony got fired and McCarty took his place, but Stony's back, shucks.

Ravine Guest

Please. McCarty's gravelly, brain-damaged [[or drunken) intonations were tiresome, to me.

It took more than one day to get used to it, but by the 3rd day I thought Stony should stay home. that's just me though, I even like classical music.

Quote Originally Posted by mogo View Post
    What else is there to listen to in the morning...Mojo? HA! Don't think so.
    I prefer Sean Beligian on WDFN. I'm always a day behind though since I listen to the podcasts on the bus. It is nice almost the entire show is available on podcast with no ads.

Default Us and Them

I laugh at the callers. If a particular team is doing badly, it's "they did this, or they need to do this...". If a team's winning, it's "we won!, we did this really well, we're going to the Superbowl [[wait, I don't believe I've heard that one)". Anyway, no one want to be associated with a lousy team, but everyone wants to be part of a winning team. Look fans, you're either on the team or not, you can't have it both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by noenaim View Post
    I can't stand Valenti he never has anything good to say about Detroit sports. I look at another New York jerk like Rob Parker he can't get a job in local radio and News fired him, but people seem to love Valenti. That guy is the man reason I avoid that station. The way they messed up AM 1130 I find myself rediscovering music on the radio.
    By the way Pat Caputo is the best thing on that station.
    Agreed.

I gave the station a chance after they killed DFN. I am amazed 1130 is still on the air. I thought for sure they would go dark after their contract with the Pistons ran out. They're dead to me all the same. I gave XYT about 2 weeks last spring. The former DFN people were about the only ones I could stand. With Valenti, it seemed like you either agree with him or your an idiot not worth his time. I literally felt uncomfortable listening to him.

With the exception of the receptionist at the studio [[she was a nice lady) everyone associated with 97.1 that I have had contact with, either listening on air or in person, has come off as rude or a just plain jerk. This includes the guys running their table at TigerFest last weekend. There I noticed they had some XYT cups behind the table. I had seen a few people with them in the crowds so I figured I'd ask for one. You would think I asked the guy for his bank account & SS #'s.

When everyone at DFN was let go, I found myself listening to WKNR out of Cleveland in my car more and more. It is 850AM and comes in as clear as most local AM stations during the day. They must lower the power at night as I can't pick it up late. I started out listening to Rome because they carry him and I didn't want to listen to DFN anymore. I stayed after Rome signed off a few times and liked what I heard enough to keep listening. I do turn it off when they get into OSU football or "Lebron James is God" talk.

I've heard McCarty on the stations advertisements for the show and just felt bad for him. Don't have the voice for it. Too bad he fell on hard times since he was the guy alot of people related to and kinda symbolized this towns ethic.

I can't listen to sports talk radio for more than 10 minutes without wanting to strangle someone. 99.9% of the callers and about 75% of the hosts have no idea what they're talking about.

I pretty much like the Ticket, except for Mike Valenti. He's beyond opinionated- downright dogmatic. He has no tolerance for anyone who disagrees with him. He's painful to listen to, he's so high strung. His "opinion" is no better than mine, when it comes down to it- no matter how "well versed" he is. The station keeps him, though, because he's controversial. If he makes you pick up the phone to argue with him- he's done his job. That's means higher ratings. They know you're listening.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2