Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I Survived Open Heart Surgery!

Hi Everyone!

Well, I'm back from the hospital in London, Ontario where I had open heart surgery to replace the aortic valve in my heart. The actual surgery was 2 weeks ago. However, I spent the week prior "drying" out. I had 20 pounds of fluid around my heart and lungs that had to go before my surgeon thought it safe enough for me to undergo the procedure.

I'm home now and feeling much better. No more extreme shortness of breath. No more feeling like I'm suffocating from the inside out. Every day I get a little bit stronger and my heart is beating as it should for the first time in my life. No more "swish-swish" sounds when listening to it. It is beating in regular sinus rhythm.

I've missed a lot since I've been gone. I see the boards have been active as usual. I've got plenty of reading to catch up on here at Dyes. I missed you guys! But, now I'm baaaackkk!

Glad your back and doing good. My Mom went through that back last May, Took her more than two weeeks but she is pretty much back to her old self minus the smokes.Having been playing Farmville on the Facebook I am lost myself on DetYes.

I'm glad your allright there Erie ! But according to the right wing nuts, you barely survived third world medical care there in Canada.
    If you were properly taken care of, please post about it here for the benifit of the naysayers.

Glad your heart is better and that you're back.

Oh, I love modern medicine! Such things would have been impossible in the first half of our lives. How wonderful that you are all better and getting on your feet with the whole new you! I hope you heal fast and find tons of energy and strength to enjoy life.

Every day I get a little bit stronger and my heart is beating as it should for the first time in my life
    I'm glad things went well for you.

oh erie, didn't know you were having surgery. glad everything went well. take care of yourself and wishes for a speedy recovery.

Glad to hear it went well and your feeling better.

Erie!!! I had no idea you were undergoing such a thing! I am so glad to hear that you are doing ok! I wish you a speedy recovery!

Welcome home Eiredearie! I hope and pray for your full recovery, long life and more.

So glad to know you're on your way to recovery..... glad we live in a time when our medical technology can benefit people like you~*

LodgeDodger Guest

Welcome home, Erie! Many wishes for a speedy recovery and a really big HUG!

Erie,

"BLESS YOUR LITTLE HEART"

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Welcome home Eiredearie! I hope and pray for your full recovery, long life and more.
    I think The Boss is trying to say that he wants you to fully enjoy a good, long life this time around and, subsequently, be re-incarnated, next time as a person of the Irish persuasion.

But enough fun at Lowell's expense. [[Well, maybe not quite enough, but it's all I've got right now.)
    Glad to hear that you successfully made it through your procedure [[you know how they love to call it that, when they know it's a Very Big Deal to you & you're terrified about it,) and it's good to have you back, comrade.

Wow, Erie, had no idea you were ill....but delighted to read of the outcome! And glad that you are feeling so much better. I had a complete physical this month, including a stress test and an angiogram. Pleased to report a complete bill of good health.

wow, ED, I'm so glad you are feeling better. You'll be in my prayers tonight.

Erie,
    I don't know you, but always enjoy your posts. Take good care of yourself and welcome back!!

I have a great big hug and kiss for you when I see you. I had no idea either. Do I need a passport to get over there? I am very happy you are ok. Love you.

Oh you guys! Thank you so much for the well wishes and hugs and promises of hugs and kisses to come!

No I didn't tell anyone because I didn't have time! It all was supposed to take place maybe sometime in February, early March maybe. But my condition became worse over the holidays so the hospital sped up my pre-admission testing. And while walking into the hospital that morning my chest felt like it was going to explode. That was the fluid doing its job. So after a bunch of different tests they thought it best to not send me home; to keep me right where I was and "dry" me out. So if anything was on my side for once in my life, it was that I was surely in The Right Place At the Right Time. So how's that for luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    I'm glad your allright there Erie ! But according to the right wing nuts, you barely survived third world medical care there in Canada.
    If you were properly taken care of, please post about it here for the benifit of the naysayers.
    Bigb - I was so properly cared for. I couldn't have hand picked a better group of nurses and doctors at my ready. They were all wonderful. I wish that everyone could experience such first class medical care as I did. Everyone I came in contact with was nothing but smiles, ready to assist me in anyway possible. From the hospital cleaning crew, right up to the surgeons. A+ and then some!

They tended to my every need for 15 days and still are tending to them. I have home nurses coming to check my wounds and put on fresh dressings. The hospital ordered that for me even before I left there. There were some personal aids that I need to help me around the house. They saw to it they were delivered just as we were coming in the house. The timing could not have been better. Before I even got out of my coat the fella was here with my walker and a few other things I would need. The hospital sent us home with the proper supplies for use by the home nurses for me.

If we wanted it - the Canadian government health care plan would send a person twice a week to vacuum the house, wash the kitchen and bathroom floors, wash the dishes and wipe things down. I could even have Meals on Wheels come if need be. We opted out of all that. My husband is able to handle those things.

So, Bigb - the naysayers know not of what they speak. I've been there, I've done it, I've come back from it....from the extreme of it. And I'm here to tell you that the Canadian Health Care System WORKS for the patient and their families.
    The hospital staff had nothing but the highest regard for its patients. Never once did I see a frown on anyone's face, never once did I hear a nurse or doctor or cleaning person complain about a patient. And believe you me, some times I was up at all hours walking the halls and standing by the nurses station and I could have heard a number of things, but I didn't. It was first class all the way.

So anyway, yes, Cub - sorry to say - but you do need a passport. You can get an enhanced driver's license and there are a few other choices available now. So I'm waiting on you buddy!!

My best to all. And thanks again for the well wishes!

Best of health to you, Erie. I don't know you either, but you certainly seem like one of the good ones! Hope you can come to the forum picnic this year.

Stromberg2

eriedearie, I'm so happy you're still with us. You've proven to be a good model for the rest of us.
    Bigb - I was so properly cared for....etc., etc.
    One more detail would be very helpful: How much did all this care cost you in your time of need?

eriedearie,
    Happy to hear the "Wonderful" news.

I too had no idea you were ailing. I am so glad you had the operation and things turned out so well. Best wishes for you and yours. Sumas

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    One more detail would be very helpful: How much did all this care cost you in your time of need?
    My cost - $0.00.

Of course Canadians pay higher taxes, which figure in our health care costs per person per household. So that is all paid up front by our taxes and when we need it - it's there. Pretty darn good deal, eh?

Welcome back, eriedearie.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast