Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default Tourists: You must visit Detroit

I want to share with you a page I found about the way foreigners see Detroit [[and are interested in visiting the city). There are so many unique things at Detroit that some locals may have grown used to seeing and don't worth them anymore. Detroit has a lot to offer, even "as it is". It just needs a little bit more publicity.....

The original page is in French:
    http://www.lexpress.to/archives/4628/
    You can read an automatic translation here:
    http://translate.google.com/translat...2F&sl=fr&tl=en

The translation is not that great [[I wish I had time to translate the entire page). I hope that some of you understand French, so you can read the original page. For those of you who don't, I'll just translate what you read under the pic in dark:

DETROIT [[Michigan) – In spite of all its scars and pains, for the voyager that looks more than the common places, the Motor City is still
    one of the most intoxicating [[overwhelming) urban spaces in the world. Detroit is maybe the most underestimated destination on the western world.

And the page goes on .... answering the question if Detroit is dangerous. The answer they give: we don't feel reassured at night but during the day it is not dangerous at all in downtown Detroit [[even if beggars may be a bit pushy).

Then it talks about all the historic buildings, etc etc....

Oh there is the part where he says:

A lot of buildings from the art deco time are abandoned at Detroit, yes, but they have not been demolished to make space to buidl new buildings as it is the case at Chicago!

And there are all the buildings that are still there and being used. The 2 hours I spent in the company of a passionate guide from Inside Detroit have impressed me more than any 2 hour section spent at New York. It was without a doubt, because everything was a surprise, on the contrary at New York we make the tour of a handfull of too well known "palmares".
    Last edited by Ezri; January-29-10 at 06:08 PM.