Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by ggcanfield View Post
    The Dossin Great Lakes Museum is still awesome!
    http://belleislehome.blogspot.com/20...at-dossin.html
    ...and it is still beautiful to travel to Belle Isle! I would be interested in hearing how long it's been since you've been there from those posting memories. I know it may not be "as great" as you remember, but it is still pretty amazing. I hope readers here will be more than hopeful, and don't just leave it up to the politicians to be active about getting to work on Belle Isle.

As Traveller1 mentioned, Friends of Belle Isle Aquarium [[http://www.belleisleaquarium.com/) is trying to step up its efforts to get support for re-opening the aquarium. The aquarium will be open from 10-3 on February 6 for Shiver on the River, if you haven't seen the inside of the building or want to see it again after many years.
    Early 90's for me. Yes, I was impressed with the Dossin Great Lakes Museum... but what I loved the most was the plant conservatory.
    For what I've read the conservatory is still working... and I think it is worth to make a trip just to see that.

I remember so many things about Belle Isle; the zoo, the great fountain and gardens just in front of the conservatory, the aquarium... ...observing wild deer and some other wild animals... the beautifull bridge that leads to Belle Isle.

I don't think people realize the "jewel" you have.... I never saw something that looked like Belle Isle untill I moved to Paris, France.....

my wife and i went there many times when we were dating. 1994-1995 timeframe...

the zoo was still open, the aquarium was still open and of course the conservatory and museum were open...

my wife still has a picture she carries of her and i holding each other on the little footbridge not far from the conservatory [[i think). its on the east side of the island...

as a small SMALL child i can remember going to the zoo and my parents still tell the story 41 years later how i would drop the fish that the seals were jumping out of the water to get. i guess i thought i might get bit...