Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Just curious Hermod. Didn't Hazen die in 1901. How could he be responsible for the collapse of train travel for 50 years after his death?

Sumas, I appreciate your positive approach, and I would love to hear about new and upcoming things that people are doing to improve EEV. The next time I am in town, I am going to try to make sure to visit your neighborhood.

I wish you all the luck in the world.
    If I was younger and didn't have a family, I might consider Detroit again. I was born and raised there.

My parents and grandparents left Detroit long ago. I have seen the houses that they left behind... Sad sight. Every time I think about getting into an affordable house there, I think of the urban decay, the crime, and the taxes. The disadvantages far outweigh the advantages as far as I'm concerned. Until Detroit can change the minds of youth like myself, it will continue to decay.

Well the "renovation" at 7 Mile & Gratiot was initially pretty successful, then it began to falter as Kroger and Walgreens left. I assume that's partially the reason why other chain grocers are afraid to make a investment in the city [[Kroger's progress was their stepping stone). I believed they called the center "Shoppes at Northeast Village." Then recently I know the Warren & Conner Shopping Center was renovated after Forman Mills moved into the old Shoppers World space. Also, there was that big bowl of mess along Livernois that took place. Plus there's been a lot of suburban McMansion develoment along Jefferson and in/around the Fox Creek area. In fact an even bigger plan was in the works for the area until this recession took hold. Finally, the fancy gas station & shopping center at Mack & Alter was an attempt to loosen up the drastic Grosse Pointe-Detroit transition, and tehre was also new homes built from MAck to Jefferson on Alter Road and Wayburn [[apart of Morningside). Several of the "fanicer" stores at that shopping center have left and the homes appear to be slowly falling apart.

Then I'm remember Kilpatrick setting up something where the DPD would regularly walk the beat around East English Village and Morningside. I'm not sure if that's still the case.
    Last edited by 313WX; March-14-10 at 01:51 PM.

Unfortunately, all we see usually see is big talk. Bold plans and little back up with deeds and action.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2